Custom Cube Kathmandu build

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
...follow up to above, I have now used my new motor Q100H 260 rpm. Very satisfied! Would have gotten this from the beginning when switching from 26" to 28". Have now 1569 km on it and it is wonderful. More details about the motor change:

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/switched-from-swxb-to-q100h.19102/post-469978

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Well. Now I also have a new battery. Have worked through three (!) of those rack packs seen above. All same model but different cells. But in 10S5P setup. They last like a year before getting bad. The last one was very good, but suddenly started to die on me, lasting only some 30 km or so. Very frustrating.

So this time I bought a better pack with 29PF cells and in 10S10P setup. 100 cells!!! 6.5 kg of batteries :) 30 Ah capacity it says. Luckily my frame with built in rack accomodates this without problem. Actually it looks ok also. Weight feels though.

New pack to the left compared with my old to the right. This one has only a plate while the old has a mount. This one also has key that actually is connected to the activate circuit. And you also need to plug out the connector every time you need to remove the pack from bike.

_1000473.jpg

But what a brutal battery pack! Connected the charger and I thought I should **** my pants. Some power in this. It is a 50A BMS and charger is 5A with a antenna-plug-looking connecter!

So I took it for commute in yesterdays fine weather. Noticed it could easily hold my regulated top speed without effort. Had full assist just to try. And on the way home I took a looong way to home. I thought the battery meter was wrong because it didn’t move. But after 50 km it started to flash the first bar. I have it setup on actual value, like a representation of the voltage in bar format. So I see directly if it starts to sag because of load. This didn’t, not even in steep uphills. Riding at assist 4 of 5. But still some way to home. After about 70 km I came home and the first bar on the battery meter has dropped. Like 25% used or something it looks like. Guess I can take long detours to home now

And also, we have these Tesla charger stations where you can fill it up, a battery this size needs decent chargers

IMG_20190408_173158.jpg

(For comparison, last week I took my middrive BBS01 bike with a 20 Ah battery pack for a test ride to see how long it lasted until I ran out of juice completely. About the same ride but a little trail part added, I came 72 km)

Reactions: LeighPing

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Took my trekking bike today, pumped tyres a little extra because I should go to wrong side of town and home again. It was about 85 km total ride. Only 25% battery dropped! Insane capacity on my new pack! It weighs alot though with 100 cells so best suited for touring good roads :)

IMG_20190529_184909.jpg

Reactions: georgehenry

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
...just a follow-up again.

A while ago I tested the capacity of the new 100-cells pack. I took a ride and used mostly mid-assist level and see how long I could get before it was empty.

So, after riding the usual long tour and a a few extra detours, it took longer time than expected. But suddenly, after about 155 km it died! :) that was very good!

I have seen after using it long time now that the cells needs balancing once in a while. Leave it a few hours extra and it will do. I always charge to 41 Volt only (42 is what stock charger gives). So I hope it will last long time this time.

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
But the reason I came back to this thread was to post this 20.000 km jubilee photo!! It has now passed this milestone after almost five years! (July 2015). Not too much trouble with it. Changed motor last year (see above). Have tried many handle bars but this Jones H-Bar is very nice. Also some different tyres but now I am very fond of the new Schwalbe Almotion 50mm. It starts to settle everything! :)

IMG_20200402_123516.jpg