Cyclamatic Power Plus Owners club

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Good news & bad news then, Doesnt sound like a straightforward exchange, unless its via the nearest controller shop ?
It's all good news, as I'm paving the way for other Cyclamatic modders :D
The controller is from E-crazyman off eBay, and it should be a fairly easy exchange.
Will post the results when the controller tips up.

delboy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 24, 2011
It's all good news, as I'm paving the way for other Cyclamatic modders :D
The controller is from E-crazyman off eBay, and it should be a fairly easy exchange.
Will post the results when the controller tips up.
thats great to hear , be interested in performance as compared to 24v ,

avronb

Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2011
I am new to e.bikes,and these forums,my bike is humble used Izip Ezgo bought on E.bay for £200,i have been asking questions about different things and not once have i detected any form of snobbery towards my bike or myself,in fact it is more like an exclusive club,everyone welcome.
I say exclusive because i have found out that during my short time with an e.bike that it is comments from cyclists that are the norm.THATS CHEATING is the favourite one ,usually when you over take them against a head wind

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
It is cheating. But cheating is fun!

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
Never having been accused of cheating in three years of e-biking, I was recently so challenged three times in a week.

On the first occasion it was by two lycras who whizzed past me on the flat, after whom I called, "Compared to what?", the only response that came to mind. I did then overtake them on the next steep hill, gloating, "I'm cheating!" as I sailed past. What they said then sounded like "Errargghh!"

The second remark was from a lycra-clad bloke at a café, who was obviously not the brightest spark, as he went on to observe, "That's a motor, innit?" I just agreed that it was; a motor, I mean, not cheating.

The final (jocular) comment was from our postman, who admitted I had a point when I asked him why he was delivering our letters in a van rather than by bike.

Last edited:

electric_avenue

Pedelecer
Aug 13, 2011
Chorlton, Manchester
that evening I got a rear tyre multiple puncture off a thorn twig. I had to push the bike home about two miles trying to take care of the weight on the rear wheel. Taking the rear wheel off if a delicate exercise. The power cable is connected via an enclosed connector encased in a shrink wrapped plastic sheathing. The instructions advised cutting this to get at the connector. Delicate.
I had a rear puncture myself and armed with some heat shrink tubing set about the job. However, there's actually no need to disconnect it. You only have to disconnect the brake on the RHS and lift the wheel out still connected to the gears and power on the LHS. I just kinda balanced the wheel on the upturned bike to work on it.

Reactions: dr bob

electric_avenue

Pedelecer
Aug 13, 2011
Chorlton, Manchester
There appear to be some red and green lights on the top of the battery, but mine never light up - not in use and not during charge. Is this the same for everyone else or should they do something?
The ones on the handlebar work fine

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
There appear to be some red and green lights on the top of the battery, but mine never light up - not in use and not during charge. Is this the same for everyone else or should they do something?
The ones on the handlebar work fine
Press the button near the LED's, and it will give you a pretty crude indication of the charge left in the battery.
In my experience, if only the red one lights, then it's time to head home the shortest route possible.

D

Deleted member 4366

If they don't light up when you press the button, the little connector inside is off. You have to take the top off the battery by unscrewing the four long scresws and then yoy can see the panel from underneath. Let us know how you get on please.

electric_avenue

Pedelecer
Aug 13, 2011
Chorlton, Manchester
Press the button near the LED's, and it will give you a pretty crude indication of the charge left in the battery.
In my experience, if only the red one lights, then it's time to head home the shortest route possible.
Aha, as simple as that. I had pressed it like and 'on' button instead of press and hold. Am I alone that my bike didn't come with a manual (just build instructions)?

Ken Standen

Just Joined
Dec 19, 2011
It is over 2 years since you bought your bike and I wonder how you are getting on with it. I recently
(08 Aug 2011), had a heart problem and was banned from riding my road bikes. I had little money to spare and have bought a Cyclematic Power Plus E bike which so far I love. I got it on 25 August and have so far done 700 miles. Only 1 puncture easly mended once I found it was possible to mend the tube without taking the rear wheel off. No other problems and even in wet and windy weather the bike performs well. The only niggle I have is that the battery power indicator no longer lights up. However the indicator on the throttle is Ok and seems to show accurately the state of the battery. Longest I have ridden so far is 21 miles and was then just into the red zone so guess the range is around 25+ miles. I can see though that this is influenced by the wind strenght and direction and hills. As I live in fairly flat Suffolk this is not a problem.
When I first got the bike the front brake squealed and wasn't smooth. I did some adjustment and this is now OK. Rear brake is fine.
I have been a cyclist all my life and think the build of the bike is good with decent equipment and it also looks smart.
I do hope you are still enjoying your bike.

Ken Standen 06 Jan 2012

Biker44

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2012
... have bought a Cyclematic Power Plus E bike which so far I love. I got it on 25 August and have so far done 700 miles. ... No other problems and even in wet and windy weather the bike performs well. .... Longest I have ridden so far is 21 miles and was then just into the red zone so guess the range is around 25+ miles. ... I live in fairly flat Suffolk
Greetings - what you say is very encouraging! I'm in St Ives, Cambs and most of the riding on my new Cyclamatic Foldaway (c. 40 miles so far!) is on the flat. There is a moderate hill on the way to Huntingdon which I've not tackled yet.

Only 1 puncture easly mended once I found it was possible to mend the tube without taking the rear wheel off.
Useful tip! I gather the back wheel is not that bad, but if there's no reason to disturb it that's all the better.

The only niggle I have is that the battery power indicator no longer lights up. However the indicator on the throttle is Ok and seems to show accurately the state of the battery.
Did I see someone saying that's a simple connector come loose in the top of the battery?

Biker44

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2012
anyone had problems with chain jumping off front sprocket? usually after changing down , not pedaling, very annoying !especially when you arrive at work covered in grease
I'd diagnose a stiff rear changer, failing to take up the slack properly.

Probably best to dismantle if you can, or you could free it with WD40. But if you use the squirty stuff, wipe off and use a chain-grease spray into the bearing areas.

No help to anyone, but the Foldaway I have is fitted with a plastic ring "clothing protector" both sides of the chrome-plated chain, I don't think it could ever jump off.

gip

Just Joined
Sep 13, 2011
Battery security

Hi everyone! Just bought a Power Plus today, not really tested yet...
I was wondering if any of you has found a way to improve the battery security.
The key-lock looks weak, and I think that if someone try to steal the battery, even if he doesn't succeed, will surely damage the battery or the bike. Is there a way to add an additional and visible (as deterrent) lock ?

Also...I couldn't fix the front mudguard because it doesn't fit (it touches the forks!), is it normal ?? am I doing something wrong?

Finally, I want to thanks everybody for helping me making my choice :)

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Hi everyone! Just bought a Power Plus today ...QUOTE]

Nice one gip. Look forward to a review when you've had some saddle time. Did you but it online or from a shop or? ...

D

Deleted member 4366

Hi everyone! Just bought a Power Plus today, not really tested yet...
I was wondering if any of you has found a way to improve the battery security.
The key-lock looks weak, and I think that if someone try to steal the battery, even if he doesn't succeed, will surely damage the battery or the bike. Is there a way to add an additional and visible (as deterrent) lock ?

Also...I couldn't fix the front mudguard because it doesn't fit (it touches the forks!), is it normal ?? am I doing something wrong?

Finally, I want to thanks everybody for helping me making my choice :)
If you're going to park your bike in the stree in the same place every day, then you need to think about additional battery security - like taking it with you. If you park occasionally at the local shops and other places, I don't believe that security would be an issue as there are so few electric bikes around that most people don't even know that it's electric. You can lock your ike with a cable lock through your frame, through the battery handle and then round a lamppost for a bit more security, but I wouldn't park it like that in a London street every day.

My front mudguard also touches the forks. I guess that's normal. Doesn't seem to do any harm.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I'm thinking of using a bike cover (its an variation of my work with tent poles). The idea is to throw the bike cover over the bike and then secure it such that it would be difficult for a passing thief to remove ...

gip

Just Joined
Sep 13, 2011
Hi everyone! Just bought a Power Plus today ...QUOTE]

Nice one gip. Look forward to a review when you've had some saddle time. Did you but it online or from a shop or? ...
I bought it from The Sports HQ, I would be very happy to review it as soon as possible...I didn't have the time to try it yet (Except for a first small testing ride) and i feel like a child who can't play with its new toy :)

By the way, I m going to park it at the university every day, so I feel afraid to be targeted...unfortunately the battery handle can be easily unscrewed... Obviously carry the battery with me would be the best idea, but I was looking for some alternatives!
Also, I ordered a set of locking skewers for the front wheel and the seatpost, hoping they will do their job!
I m wondering if I can get a metallic battery cover that can be locked, maybe custom made, from some metalworker (I don't know if "metalworker" is the right name!)...