Cyclamatic Power Plus Owners club

mw1

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2014
Hull, E.Yorks
One confusing issue I've seen relative to charging the battery is if you leave the power on or off when charging. I've read both.
It's fine to charge the battery on or off the bike, therefore there is no requirement to have the power switched on whilst doing so. I run my power plus at 36v, and it is well worth doing. They still lack a bit of torque, but is a vast improvement. It also increases the range.
Regards, Mark

D

Deleted member 4366

You should swith the battery off when charging. No harm will come if you don't switch it off, but the controller is taking a bit of power when switchws on, so the charger might not give the green light.

If you take the battery off to charge it or for anything else, you should make sure that it's switched off when re-installing otherwise you will damage the contacts. That applies to any electric bike.

• Informative
Reactions: VictoryV

Steve davis

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 20, 2016
Ann Arbor,Mi
It's fine to charge the battery on or off the bike, therefore there is no requirement to have the power switched on whilst doing so. I run my power plus at 36v, and it is well worth doing. They still lack a bit of torque, but is a vast improvement. It also increases the range.
Regards, Mark
Great thanks!

Reactions: mw1

Steve davis

Aug 20, 2016
Ann Arbor,Mi
You should swith the battery off when charging. No harm will come if you don't switch it off, but the controller is taking a bit of power when switchws on, so the charger might not give the green light.

If you take the battery off to charge it or for anything else, you should make sure that it's switched off when re-installing otherwise you will damage the contacts. That applies to any electric bike.
Great advice. Thanks! Appreciate you posts on Cyclamatic mods! Haven't tried any yet but may at some point.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Looks like a loose connection or the front brake. Still not sure how to fix it reliably.

D

Deleted member 4366

The controller sits in the compartment under rhe battery. Follow the wire from the brake lever to the controller, where you can disconnect it. You don't need a front brake switch.

enclave

Just Joined
Sep 17, 2016
UK
Hello..
I have couple questions.. maybe somebody knows answers..
(I have recently bought second hand cyclamatic power plus in black color)
What are spoke sizes on the back wheel? One of my spokes broke and I'm not sure if I need to get 13 gauge, or 14.. 213mm length? 212? 214? I measured around 2.15mm diameter.. but threads seem to be 2.35.. the real retail sizes, no idea.. anyone has ideas? knows? tried?
Maybe somebody has manual for the bike where it states the spoke sizes? (I doubt that.. but still). If anyone has manual for the bike and could upload it here would still be wonderful.. (even if there are no spoke sizes.. just how to look after battery etc..).
Oh and same goes to bottom bracket.. I will need to replace it at some point, anyone done it and knows what the sizes where?
By the way.. if you done any sort of other maintenance (maybe suspension forks? servo brakes.. anything really) maybe you have some valuable information to share?
What is the battery voltage, wattage (same for motor) etc? Also I read somewhere that I can charge it while connected to the bike, is it true?
Thanks everyone!
PS. from my side I can say that on my bike the diameter of the seatpost is definitely 27.2 and the length is around 39cm (thinking to replace it with suspension seatpost.. hence the interest in dimensions). The diameter of handlebars is around 22mm mostly but it becomes wider in the middle (25mm or more). The chain on mine is KMC narrow (no idea what exactly), but I assume any chain for shimano 7 gears would do.. my bike came with no mudguards and I assume it will be a bit of pain to find the proper ones.. if you have bought some and it worked well, maybe you have links to the products? :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Hello..
I have couple questions.. maybe somebody knows answers..
(I have recently bought second hand cyclamatic power plus in black color)
What are spoke sizes on the back wheel? One of my spokes broke and I'm not sure if I need to get 13 gauge, or 14.. 213mm length? 212? 214? I measured around 2.15mm diameter.. but threads seem to be 2.35.. the real retail sizes, no idea.. anyone has ideas? knows? tried?
13 gauge. Measure the length from the end to the elbow. You should be OK as long as you're within +/- 2mm. You can find spokes on Ebay if you're lucky. If you ever decide to rebuild the wheel, use 14g spokes.

Maybe somebody has manual for the bike where it states the spoke sizes? (I doubt that.. but still). If anyone has manual for the bike and could upload it here would still be wonderful.. (even if there are no spoke sizes.. just how to look after battery etc..).
There's no manual for the bike and no maintenance necessary other than normal bike stuff, like chain, spokes and brakes. Use google/youtube to find out how to adjust the servo brake.

Oh and same goes to bottom bracket.. I will need to replace it at some point, anyone done it and knows what the sizes where?
By the way.. if you done any sort of other maintenance (maybe suspension forks? servo brakes.. anything really) maybe you have some valuable information to share?
You measure the length of the BB from end to end, then go down to Halfords for a replacement cartridge type, which costs £10.

What is the battery voltage, wattage (same for motor) etc? Also I read somewhere that I can charge it while connected to the bike, is it true?
Thanks everyone!
24v 10Ah. It can deliver about 20 amps. The standard controller is 12A or 14A, depending on year of manufacture. You can charge the battery on the bike, but best to switch off the key-switch.

PS. from my side I can say that on my bike the diameter of the seatpost is definitely 27.2 and the length is around 39cm (thinking to replace it with suspension seatpost.. hence the interest in dimensions). The diameter of handlebars is around 22mm mostly but it becomes wider in the middle (25mm or more). The chain on mine is KMC narrow (no idea what exactly), but I assume any chain for shimano 7 gears would do.. my bike came with no mudguards and I assume it will be a bit of pain to find the proper ones.. if you have bought some and it worked well, maybe you have links to the products? :)
SJS Beavertail XM mudguards fit just about any bike.
Any 7-speed chain will be OK. I doubt that you'll ever need one unless yours is rusty.

• Informative
Reactions: D8ve

DCUK6

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2013
Just just cleaning up the bike k just brought, all the grommets are pulled out so muck has gotten everywhere.

Tried a search but didnt gwt any results yet.
Taken out the controller. One of the power cables was close to being disconnected solution the back.

There are a few cable not connected and don't know if they should be
Coming out the controller there are

A male and a female white cable connections, bot with a single white cable in each, the look like they fit into each other but should they be and what are they?

Red male connector with single cable,what's this and should it go anywhere, doesn't seem to be any other connectors.

Many thanks

Edit. Just added a bit of solder and it's so much fun

My soldering skills are terrible though. I could get a nice coating like I've seen on here

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

The white wires are the speed restriction cables. The red is just a spare.

To solder something like the shunt, put a bit of solder on your iron's tip, hold it on the shunt for a bit so that it heats up. Keep the iron on the shunt while you add the solder, then keep it there for a bit afterwards to bring the temperature back up. During the whole process, the iron should never lose contact with the shunt. You bring the solder to it until you have enough.

Zen61

Aug 29, 2017
Leeds
Hi, what's the bike like to pedal without power? Is there any drag? I am quite interested in getting one of these for the better half, as has been said previously it could be a good, cheaper, intro machine

Cheers

Jason
It's like pedalling with the back brake on especially on any incline :)

D

Deleted member 4366

It's like pedalling with the back brake on especially on any incline :)
Cyclamatics have one of the most free-running motors there are. All that drag is a complete illusion. Any electric bike will give you an overall increase in weight of around 10% compared with a normal bike, so will be 10% harder to pedal up hills, but on the flat, there's very little difference except acceleration and braking will be 10% less.

Zen61

Aug 29, 2017
Leeds
I must have a look at the back brake then it must be dragging as I was on a canal towpath,as flat as it gets when pedal assist stopped working and I was forced too drop down to 3rd gear , when it came too a hill quite steep I could not pedal and walked up pushing the bike :(

D

Deleted member 4366

Lift the back wheel and spin it by hand. That shows you how much drag there is.

literking

May 12, 2014
Wakefield, West Yorkshire UK
Hi All - need some serious help with a 2013 Cyclamatic controller that is failing. It is situated in the bottom bracket and obviously this space is big enough for a modern controller. First of all some advice on a replacement, wiring pitfalls and where is the best place to fit a replacement. Any help please would be most appreciated.
I have posted the problem on here before but do not get feedback, maybe I am doing something wrong, which is why I have decided to add to this thread

mpe

Jul 6, 2015
Hi All - need some serious help with a 2013 Cyclamatic controller that is failing. It is situated in the bottom bracket and obviously this space is big enough for a modern controller. First of all some advice on a replacement, wiring pitfalls and where is the best place to fit a replacement. Any help please would be most appreciated.
I have posted the problem on here before but do not get feedback, maybe I am doing something wrong, which is why I have decided to add to this thread

MrPlodski

Aug 20, 2020
Hi All, I need your help trying to locate a bottom bracket spindle for a CYCLAMATIC POWER PLUS.
The dims of the old one are: 33+82+40
full length 157mm
left 33mm
right 40mm
center 82mm
BUT, if you do the maths there is an extra 2mm from somewhere ??????

Believe me.... I have searched everywhere!

TIA

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi All, I need your help trying to locate a bottom bracket spindle for a CYCLAMATIC POWER PLUS.
I think you can get them from Sickbikeparts.

There may be better solutions. Can you tell us what the clearance is between the chainwheel and the battery or whatever is the nearest thing to it? Can you also measure the width of the aluminium bottom bracket shell (frame)? I'd like to understand why it needs to be that wide. A photo from underneath showing the whole arrangement would also help.

MrPlodski

Aug 20, 2020

There may be better solutions. Can you tell us what the clearance is between the chainwheel and the battery or whatever is the nearest thing to it? Can you also measure the width of the aluminium bottom bracket shell (frame)? I'd like to understand why it needs to be that wide. A photo from underneath showing the whole arrangement would also help.
Thanks for your reply. The bike is at my friends workshop at the moment. So, I will go there and take some pics and measurements later today.
The part that I have is bent and I've had 2 offers to try and straighten it. So, it looks like I'll give that option a try.
However, if I can get a new one, that would be good.

MrPlodski

Aug 20, 2020

Sorry for the delay. I opted, in the end, to have it straightened because the worldwide search for a replacement was fruitless.
I have taken the measurements that you asked for in the hope that it may help someone else in the same predicament. (and ease your curiosity)
Clearance between the chainwheel and battery: 1.25" (32mm)
However, the clearance between chainwheel & control box is only: 5/8" (16mm)
Width of the aluminium bottom bracket shell: 4" (16mm)

Some pics attached.3816838169