cycle rack

stitch

Just Joined
Jun 27, 2018
Hi, I have two electric bikes both weighing about 20kg without the battery. What is the best way to transport them. I have a towbar but it will be used for caravan. Was thinking about either roof bars or a saris bones 3. The saris has a weight limit of about 45kg for 3 bikes so was thinking that 40kg with two bikes would still be within its limits. 20kg is a bit wobbly to lift onto roof sometimes. any comments much received.

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
I use the Thule ProRide racks on the roof - they are pretty good - not perfect but strong enough for an ebike in my experience. The pain is putting the bikes up there, even with a folding step and a helper

You can get hydraulic lifters, I have seen them used really effective with tandems - but boy are they pricey!

You can get rear racks that bolt behind the tow ball casting and lift the bikes up out of the way of the caravan - not familiar with them but I have seen them. Also seen folks put their ebikes inside the caravan when travelling . . .

IMO strap on style rear racks are only really good enough for local transport - the boot lid Thule 9103 I have does not use straps, it is one of the better ones but I only use it for quick trips.

My folks had a big bike shop in Devon and I used to help out in the holidays. Every summer we had people in the shop buying new racks/bikes after their rack/bike came off on the motorway. Straps move, or unhook, or folks plain put them on wrong

• Agree
Reactions: Fat Rat

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
My main concern would be how to lift onto a roof rack even if you remove the front wheel and battery its still a lump :(but if it rains the 70mph jet wash will kill every thing:eek: