Cyclists block...new bike jitters

homemoz

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2007
UK
Have just sold two bikes to fund a new ebike. Originally was planning to convert my old Raleigh but have come to recognise that it just isn't a suitable bike for conversion for numerous reasons. Have to say that the advice on this forum from D8ve & other pointed to the same thing right from the start. Main points - have to stop chopping & changing bikes, so this one has to last! I am 5ft 8" and abround 10.5 stone. Although in my earlyish 60's & am reasonably fit. Budget is around £1000.00. The bike will be mainly used for leisure riding on tarmac with rides around 20 miles done quite frequently - maybe once or twice a week.

Terrain is moderately hilly (Yorkshire Wolds) but only a couple of real (shortish) hills on my usual routes. I have had ebikes before & found I prefer hub over crank drives. I like things to be simple - best ebike I had was a Dahon Mu - 24v throttle only which gave up the ghost after 8 years of solid riding. Not many places around here to try before buying. Roodog is at Hornsea & have thought about the Mayfair - couple of things I don't really want though - like suspension forks which just add to the weight. Have thought about the GTech or even Aerobike - both of which would need to be step-throughs due to sizing. Have even thought of getting something like a Reid Esprit and trying my hand with a simple Panda Bike conversion. Basically, just keep going round in circles - cyclists equivalent of writer's block! Small wheel bikes are out as although they suit me for size, I now find they are too skittish & not stable enough as I get older.

Any advice would really be welcome - simplicity, preferably lightish weight that allows me to do some riding without power and I hate to say but style are things that matter to me. I have to like the bike that I'm riding.

Electric Transport Shop

Official Trade Member
Aug 7, 2010
Hi Homemoz, There are so many ebikes (and more every year) within you budget. We have a store in York with Raleighs and Freego that you can try. These are two well established brands with good bikes and great aftersales support. We have an event in conjunction with a bike charity and a brewery today if you can make it :)
Whatever you decide I hope you enjoy your new eBike.

Sarabee

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2017
Lincolnshire
Hi Homemoz, There are so many ebikes (and more every year) within you budget. We have a store in York with Raleighs and Freego that you can try. These are two well established brands with good bikes and great aftersales support. We have an event in conjunction with a bike charity and a brewery today if you can make it :)
Whatever you decide I hope you enjoy your new eBike.
Event with a bike charity and a brewery ? What could possibly go wrong ? :)

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol

Carlap

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 18, 2017
Kingston Upon Thames
Have just sold two bikes to fund a new ebike. Originally was planning to convert my old Raleigh but have come to recognise that it just isn't a suitable bike for conversion for numerous reasons. Have to say that the advice on this forum from D8ve & other pointed to the same thing right from the start. Main points - have to stop chopping & changing bikes, so this one has to last! I am 5ft 8" and abround 10.5 stone. Although in my earlyish 60's & am reasonably fit. Budget is around £1000.00. The bike will be mainly used for leisure riding on tarmac with rides around 20 miles done quite frequently - maybe once or twice a week.

Terrain is moderately hilly (Yorkshire Wolds) but only a couple of real (shortish) hills on my usual routes. I have had ebikes before & found I prefer hub over crank drives. I like things to be simple - best ebike I had was a Dahon Mu - 24v throttle only which gave up the ghost after 8 years of solid riding. Not many places around here to try before buying. Roodog is at Hornsea & have thought about the Mayfair - couple of things I don't really want though - like suspension forks which just add to the weight. Have thought about the GTech or even Aerobike - both of which would need to be step-throughs due to sizing. Have even thought of getting something like a Reid Esprit and trying my hand with a simple Panda Bike conversion. Basically, just keep going round in circles - cyclists equivalent of writer's block! Small wheel bikes are out as although they suit me for size, I now find they are too skittish & not stable enough as I get older.

Any advice would really be welcome - simplicity, preferably lightish weight that allows me to do some riding without power and I hate to say but style are things that matter to me. I have to like the bike that I'm riding.

Hi Homemoz
I am currently trying to decide whether to go for the Aero bike or G tech and wondered what decision you made in the end and if you are happy with it?
Thanks in advance
Carla

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

homemoz

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2007
UK
Hi Carla
Well, in the end I went against everything I said & bought a raleigh pioneer ebike (step through). Main reasons were 1. Concern about the batteries on gtech & aerobike. Thought I would need an extra battery for longer rides which pushes up the cost. Also the batteries seem specific to gtech & aerobike & wondered whether replacements would be available in a few years time if the firms stop retailing the bikes. 2. I bought the raleigh from a local cycle shop who were really helpful. I was surprised how well put together it was, especially with Raleigh's reputation over recent years. I also thought that after sales service would be better. The shop is a well established one. 3. The raleigh avoids the excesses of some cheaper/medium range ebikes ie no heavy suspension fork & has a reasonable but not excessive range of gears.

Anyway, have done about 100 miles so far with a couple of 20 mile rides & am well pleased. The bike feels steady at speed, the motor almost silent & the range I would say about 35 miles on the middle power setting. So, this probably doesn't help you. My ideal would still be a lightweight minimalist ebike but in the end decided to buy locally.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

• Informative

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hi Carla
Well, in the end I went against everything I said & bought a raleigh pioneer ebike (step through). Main reasons were 1. Concern about the batteries on gtech & aerobike. Thought I would need an extra battery for longer rides which pushes up the cost. Also the batteries seem specific to gtech & aerobike & wondered whether replacements would be available in a few years time if the firms stop retailing the bikes. 2. I bought the raleigh from a local cycle shop who were really helpful. I was surprised how well put together it was, especially with Raleigh's reputation over recent years. I also thought that after sales service would be better. The shop is a well established one. 3. The raleigh avoids the excesses of some cheaper/medium range ebikes ie no heavy suspension fork & has a reasonable but not excessive range of gears.

Anyway, have done about 100 miles so far with a couple of 20 mile rides & am well pleased. The bike feels steady at speed, the motor almost silent & the range I would say about 35 miles on the middle power setting. So, this probably doesn't help you. My ideal would still be a lightweight minimalist ebike but in the end decided to buy locally.

.. well wear I think your reasoning is very sound.

Carlap

Apr 18, 2017
Kingston Upon Thames
Hi Carla

Hi Homemoz
Thanks for coming back to me. I'm still undecided so shall take your comments onboard and investigate further. Glad you're happy with your bike.
All the best
Carla

fatwomble

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2017
Southampton / Winchester
Hi Homemoz
Thanks for coming back to me. I'm still undecided so shall take your comments onboard and investigate further. Glad you're happy with your bike.
All the best
Carla
What do you intend to use the the bike for and how do you expect it to preform.

I can give you my personal thoughts on a Gtech as I own one.

Others have said it and I agree, it is a bike for fitter people. The singlespeed belt set up is great for not worrying about getting oil on your trousers, but it does mean that you have to work quite hard on the hills and on the flat you'll be spinning quite hard to maintain a decent speed.

It's motor isn't that powerful and the battery is quite small, the first time I used it having not ridden a bike for 6 Months over the winter (unusual for me, I'm a keen mountain biker), I used up the battery after 24 miles, now I still have half left after the same mileage, however I am working reasonably hard on the way to work and quite hard on the way back (this includes 4 miles of of gravel track).

It's a light bike though and despite it's basic spec, it has some nice design touches, the belt drive and the adjusting is all rather nice.

People have said it's overpriced and on the face of it, you can get more kit for your money, but it worked for what I wanted.

I actually look forward to commuting to work (only 7 weeks now, but I've got the summer to look forward to).

• Informative

Carlap

Apr 18, 2017
Kingston Upon Thames
What do you intend to use the the bike for and how do you expect it to preform.

I can give you my personal thoughts on a Gtech as I own one.

Others have said it and I agree, it is a bike for fitter people. The singlespeed belt set up is great for not worrying about getting oil on your trousers, but it does mean that you have to work quite hard on the hills and on the flat you'll be spinning quite hard to maintain a decent speed.

It's motor isn't that powerful and the battery is quite small, the first time I used it having not ridden a bike for 6 Months over the winter (unusual for me, I'm a keen mountain biker), I used up the battery after 24 miles, now I still have half left after the same mileage, however I am working reasonably hard on the way to work and quite hard on the way back (this includes 4 miles of of gravel track).

It's a light bike though and despite it's basic spec, it has some nice design touches, the belt drive and the adjusting is all rather nice.

People have said it's overpriced and on the face of it, you can get more kit for your money, but it worked for what I wanted.

I actually look forward to commuting to work (only 7 weeks now, but I've got the summer to look forward to).
Hi there
Thanks for your note. I'm not a keen cyclist (yet), but I live near Richmond Park and the river and really enjoy poodling around there in the warmer weather. I won't be going for miles so the 30 mile battery life doesn't worry me but I have a very inexpensive "normal" bike and it does chug along particuarly on the towpath so I was looking for something that would just make it a bit more enjoyable really. I can't see myself going up too many hills either. I'm really just looking for something comfortable and reliable. I was going to go for a G-tech but saw the Aero bike over the weekend and there didn't seem to be very much difference between the two. I also thought the 14 day trial period would take the risk out of it.
All the best
Carla

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I also thought the 14 day trial period would take the risk out of it.
Carla
Anything substantial that you buy via a UK website is returnable within 14 days, for any reason.
All distance sellers must abide by this.
So don't feel constrained to only those websites that cite this right as an offer - they would be breaking the law if they didn't offer a refund within 14 days.

It is a right faff to re-package and return though, which is one good reason for buying locally...

boyabouttown

Pedelecer
Oct 3, 2016
sheffield
for pleasure riding around the park i would also recommend the gtech, although i struggle to get 20 miles out of the battery. as fatwomble said, it can be hard work on steep hills and legs spin too fast if you want to go above 16 mph, but is a pleasure to just idle along with hardly any effort at all, no gear changing and no maintenance (well i havn't done any). saying that, i am looking at upgrading already as it does have it's limitations.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and Woosh