Cyclotricity 250 watt front hub kit

Turkeylegs

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
Darlington
Hi guys
I thought I'd let know how iv got on with this kit
Fitting it to my Raleigh Royal thats about 15 years old was straight forward other than the hub nearly touching the fork, so a washer was needed and solved the problem.
I'm using the throttle only as the pedalec disk won't fit due to the gap next to the bottom bracket is too narrow also the disk would catch the frame which curves out close to it too so wouldn't turn even if the gap was OK.
Iv not needed to come off the big ring and only used the outer three rings at the back due to the help of the motor.
Hills are easy with light pedalling even steep hills with a little more pedalling and feels very good.
Pulling away has a slight lag then away you go with a whir that gets very quiet the closer to 15 mph you get.
Maximum speed is 21 mph on a flat under perfect conditions, but generally 18 is the norm. Without pedalling 15 to 16mph is held on a fresh battery dropping to 14 to 15 after a few miles.
I did 10 miles taking in several large hills and flat roads too but purposely hitting some hills a few times as i wanted to flatten the battery to do a first 12 hour charge out of the three iv been advised to do with a new kit.
After the ten miles of which i held the throttle on permanently, I still had approximately 1/4 of power in the battery left.
My battery is the frame bottle type with 7ma rated at about 25 mile range.
Only getting about 12 miles does seem shorter than expected until you take into account the three full drain and 12 hour charges are yet to be done, also that im 20 stone.
So I'm very happy with the performance and battery life as its going to improve dramatically over the coming weeks as I lose weight and get my cycling legs back and use the throttle mainly for hills.
The shop I used to get this kit was electricbikeconversions in Stoke, whom I can wholeheartedly recommend.

Gazzgo

Pedelecer
Jan 6, 2018
Lancaster
Looks good :)
Someone here may be able to offer ideas to get the PAS ring working, maybe on the chain ring side?
I didn't even fit the thumb throttle to mine as the PAS is so handy.

Gazzgo

Pedelecer
Jan 6, 2018
Lancaster
My PAS ring would fit into that gap easily I’d have thought. The other option may be to fit it to the round part of the crank arm itself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gazzgo

Pedelecer
Jan 6, 2018
Lancaster
That’s the same as mine. I progressively cut those teeth/splines down until it fit. I also glued it once it was a tight fit onto the crank arm.
Someone else may have another idea but that worked for me.

Reactions: Turkeylegs

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Turkeylegs fitting a PAS is the best feature of these kits as it enables you to use the 5 assist levels each having a different power level, the throttle gives max amps all the time so will be stressing the battery. With the PAS working properly you will find the riding much improved and throttle use will be relegated to a quick speed boost or get you out of trouble use.

For your needs you need a KT V12L pas sensor that fits on the left side, it is one piece sensor unit with a middle rotating section with short splines that grip the square taper in the gap between crank arm and BB. It is only 42mm in diameter unlike the disc you have. If the gap is still too tight for a V12Lthen you need another BB with a 3-5 mm longer shaft.

I have an unused brand new one with the yellow 3 pin Julet water proof connector.
We can do a swap PM me if you are interested, I will have your sensor & disc and you can have my V12L.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

That's right. you're missing a lot by not having the PAS. It's worth the effort to fit one. There's loads of different ways to do it if you research a bit, and you can normally fit any type of PAS. You don't need to use the one that came in the kit. You can get a longer BB from Halfords for around a tenner to make more room.

Turkeylegs

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
Darlington
That’s the same as mine. I progressively cut those teeth/splines down until it fit. I also glued it once it was a tight fit onto the crank arm.
Someone else may have another idea but that worked for me.

After thinking about it and thanks for the offer Neilh but iv gone the same way as you. Iv got some gorilla epoxy that you mix from two tubes but its a few years old so wondering if its still usable.
What sort of glue did you use?
I forgot to say it's only the glue that will hold it on as that's the only way it would fit by removing all the splines and just sticking it slightly over the pedal arm.

Last edited:

Gazzgo

Pedelecer
Jan 6, 2018
Lancaster
I just used a little superglue as it was really tight on the pedal already and that’s what I had. Epoxy would be far better. Should be perfectly fine even after two years. So long as it hasn’t gone hard [emoji1]

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
There ya go ! And the plus point is that that type of two part mag ring can slip on the shaft. Not yours, that glue will see to that.

Turkeylegs

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
Darlington
I just got in from doing five miles and the pedalec was different.
The strangest feeling was not having to hold the throttle on for help in pulling away but I soon got used to that. What I did find was on setting 5 the motor didn't seem to help as much as the throttle at about 10 mph on hills as hitting the throttle gave me a noticeable boost in help.
Overall I love it as I can use the pedalec all the time but bring the throttle into play if I want a little extra or to just coast a bit.

Turkeylegs

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
Darlington
There ya go ! And the plus point is that that type of two part mag ring can slip on the shaft. Not yours, that glue will see to that.
Cheers for the tip, I was thinking alsorts of problems with axles and chain rings ect, but this has solved it all.
Thanks again mate I'm chuffed to bits .

Turkeylegs

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
Darlington
Something else I noticed was when changing up to go faster there seemed less help , but when I change back down and my feet were turning quicker there was more help, or is it just me?