Cyclotricity 250 watt front hub kit

Turkeylegs

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
Darlington
I must say I'm really enjoying the bike and finding the help makes going out a pleasure instead of a chore.
I'm still getting a leg burn and start to sweat when I'm pushing too but that's a choice I don't need to make if I don't want and just use the assist more.
The more I go out on it the more I'm learning like only use assist 1 to 3 to extend the milage of the battery and only use the throttle when really needed.
At the moment though the novelty hasn't worn off so ill continue to have fun on full power till it does.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Yep, the lower the assist the longer the ride. I rarely use the throttle and try to save most power for when I turn for home and my legs are starting to tire. When I first came to this forum I was in awe of guys talking of 14 mile rides like a stroll in the park. Now I don't feel like it's been a ride unless it's been at least that far. Though I do like a tea and cake/pint and crisps stop:eek::cool:

Reactions: Turkeylegs

Turkeylegs

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
Darlington
My second ride out was ten miles, though I had full assist all the way really and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was relatively speaking.
The five miles tonight were just a quickie it seemed , that's the difference it makes.
I'm wondering if the three 12 hour charges are going to make much difference to the batteries performance and if it does how much?
I'm sceptical about it and hoped someone who knows could help.

Turkeylegs

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
Darlington
An update on how I'm getting on with this.
After very happily seeing the 7 ah battery at 42 volts I couldn't wait to see how it performed today.
Now I purposely used assist 5 on it to get an idea of the minimum assisted mileage I'm likely to expect. Well I wasn't dissapointed.
Some long hills that would see me dropping onto the middle chain ring and burning my legs to keep single figure speeds were just short of burning my legs and keeping about 14 mph in a relatively comfortable zone physically.
When pulling off a quick touch of the throttle or two revs on the pedals and I was away easily, then even when freewheeling I'd use the throttle to keep the momentum going then picking it up on the pedals and feeling the thrust even at 16 and 17 mph to help me keep that speed with a bit of effort from myself.
During all this I never let up on the pedalling and only used the throttle maybe 5 or 6 times for a few seconds each time.
When I got home I had that starting to sweat heat from good effort on my part which considering its my 4th time out I think in years and iv got 20 stone to carry too isn't bad at all.
Now to the battery which was at 42 volts when I set off and after 14 miles on full assist with minimul throttle use was 36.5 when I got home with 3 green lights still on the battery check button and one bar on the lcd display.
Going on how it felt from 18 mph upwards the assist goes down very quickly until it's hardly noticeable at 20 to 21 mph, so iv decided to take the restriction in the lcd from 67 kmh to 30 kmh.
My theory is that at 20 mph the motor isn't trying to pull more from the battery as it keeps trying for 67 so saving a little of the battery.Is my logic good or am I being ignorant , as I am new to this.
Anyway, my overall impression up to now of this cyclotricity 250 watt front hub kit has blown me away.
It gives me enough assist to do the miles in relative comfort and only working hard when I decide to and even coasting on the throttle when the feeling takes me.
I'd highly recommend this to anyone thinking about it as you already have your normal bike fitting like a glove as I do with my Raliegh Royal that iv had at least 15 years maybe more like 17 according to my wife.
I'll update as I go along as it was difficult to find that much info on 250 watt front hub kits when I was looking as most seem to go for 500 or more watts which for me defeats the cycling objective, It may as well be a moped or motorbike of some sort then in my opinion .

D

Deleted member 4366

The motor has a maximum speed to which it will spin with the wheel off the ground. If you're at any speed above that, you will draw zero power from the battery, regardless of what the speed is set to.

Between something like 60% maximum speed and maximum speed, the current ramps down to zero, so you only get maximum current from the battery when you're going slowly, where the controller is limiting the maximum current. Therefore, the faster you go, the less you take from the battery.

Turkeylegs

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
Darlington
I thought I'd update you all on this thread as it's been about a year since I used my bike due to work and lazy itus.
Fearing the worst for the state of the battery I pressed the button on the battery and three green lights lit up. Pleasant surprise I thought, so fitted it to my bike and set off.
Three quarter of the bars that show power remaining lit up on the screen and I was away just as it was a year ago.
I must have a very good battery as its not seemingly been effected by the none use.
Just thought it might be interesting to know how well the battery had lasted and performed.
Cheers all.