Cyclotricity kit buzzkill

Paul Wrighton

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2018
Hello again folks,
Yesterday I popped along to my LBS thinking just to pick up some slime for the back wheel.
Unfortunately when I got there I discovered I had a broken spoke, so ended up booking in for a repair. I said I would source the spokes, since they're non-standard, and I expected Cyclotricity to be able to offer support.

That's where the buzzkill begins, on getting home and finding the support number I was on hold for an hour with no joy. To add insult to injury the Cyclotricity site popped up an annoying chatboit with fake "support". After the hour I decided to take matters into my own hands and departed for another bike shop - the one I entrusted with my tandem rear wheel build.

Arriving there they had the necessary spoke measuring tool and sold me 18 BMX wheel spoked that should enable LBS to rebuild half my back wheel. Can anyone verify this may work out? There must be other Cyclotricity riders who have snapped a spoke?

Then the biggest buzzkill of all. I asked expert bike shop for opinions on Ebikes and, whilst they were positive about "fit for purpose" Ebikes it was clear they weren't happy with my conversion. nWhat's more they told me about the data coming out of the Netherlands about accidents and Ebikes, especially with older riders.... Anyway you get the picture.

I am left feeling my back wheel is not adequate with 36 spokes, should really be a 40 spoke wheel with the weights it takes (like my tandem Salsa wheelbuild) but of course this is limited by the motor... Wondering, are there any 40 spoke rear wheels out there?

So, after less than a week my new Ebike is off the road until LBS repair work Thursday week. I'm going to keep trying, but my enthusiasm has really had the edge taken off it now, so soon too!

Es[especially interested to hear back others experience of Cyclotricity support, I am now worried they could be going out of business, so do post and let me know.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Don't let one shop's opinion sway you, it's a pretty common occurrence when it comes to kits. As for 36 spokes not being strong enough, don't you think by now every manufacturer of hub motors would have addressed this, if it were the case. It's pretty common for Chinese built wheels to have badly tensioned spokes, so it is worth checking them before fitting the wheel, even if you have your local wheel builder do it, it's only going to cost £15-20.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Hi Paul,
6000 miles and going strong on an Ezee front hub, only ever broken one spoke. Since then I've kept an eye on them, this means giving them the occaisional ping to check the tuning, then tightening any that give a dull note. Replacing one spoke can't be that hard can it? Especially if you've already built the bike and with YouTube help.
LBS guys can be a bit dismissive of self helpers - not good for trade is it:rolleyes:?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sound like the LBS knows little about ebikes or is willing accept they are becoming ever popular.
36h is no problem, only problem the wheel will suffer is from a bad build. Build all my own never seen anything major happen once, had the odd spoke snap now and then but easy to repair.

• Agree
Reactions: jwm

Paul Wrighton

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2018
Thank you both for that feedback, I'm especially encouraged by the 6k miles ridden, since I've had to swap out a rear wheel on my conventional (non-electric) touring bike after similar mileage, so would regard that sort of distance as a win.

I have an update from cycloltricity and also from a more electric friendly LBS. The bad news is that the LBS confirmed after truing the wheel and replacing spoked there were issues with the bearings and so they would not recommend further work on the wheel (was going to fit slimed marathon tyre). Furthermore they offered a partial explanation for my troubles - being that the wheel was not properly centered on it's spindle relative to the frame. This I can imagine giving rise to broken spokes and wheel warping, no?/

The good news is that on my third attempt I did get through to cyclotricity to ask about warranty on wheels if I bought a replacement. I was pleasantly surprised to be told the initial warranty was transferable! so long as I pay all shipping fees they'll replace my wheel on receipt of the duff one.

So although I've been eyeing up the new wisper turbo 950 and thinking I could have had that instead of my lousy B-twin for just another £500 on the other hand I have kitted my B-twin with small luxuries like double sprung brookes saddle and integral security lock and it's far less attractive to bike thieves than a new bike.

So, like everyone else on this sub-forum, I'll gladly continue with my kit, at lease until I win the lottery or something for the E-bike of my dreams!

Paul Wrighton

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2018
A post script for this thread....

As you will see from another thread I have just had the good fortune to buy a second hand purpose made E-bike (KTM macina 29 with Bosch bottom bracket motor and Alfina 11 speed). Anyway, just from the test ride it was such a completely different experience... what a pedelec SHOULD be and the conversion could not compare. Added to that the range of the conversion is less than half what I'll get with my "new" e-bike.

The remarkable thing is they cost the same outlay! I guess I got lucky...

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
glad you are getting things sorted

in my experience machine built wheels can be very variable in quality so worth checking from new

When I have bought a ready built wheel I would re-tention and retrue myself - but I have just realised I never did that with my hub kit (?!?). The bike is getting pulled apart for a new cassette and chains next week so I will check it . . .

also in my experience 36 spokes is plenty for a really strong wheel if its built properly. Decent rims are very strong also - an example - we have a proper off road tandem and I built the wheels around standard 36h Shimano hubs - no issues with spokes (touch wood) but even 200mm discs all round arent quite enough