Cyclotricity Revolver review

Ejmi

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 15, 2015
When:
November 2014, paid 649 pounds.

Why e-bike:
I started new job 5.5 miles from home with no train/bus connection and I had to decide about my mode of transport. I was thinking about used car, but I bought e-bike as I thought it will be cheaper, healthier, will not be broken all the time, will not disappoint me as used car can.

Why e-bike not bike:

A lot of my friends said that for 649 pounds you can buy very good bike but as I wrote I needed transport to work. There are a few hills on my way work and I don’t wanna be all sweat at work after riding up to hill. That’s why e-bike which really helps me up to hills. I’m not sweat at all.

Why revolver:

Of course because of the price. But I calculated that e-kit from cyclotricity cost 399 pounds so paying 649 pounds I should get at least 250 pounds worth bike. When you go for example to Halfords you can see really good bikes for this price.
Review

Beginning

I ordered and paid 14 november and after not getting postage I sent e-mail 18 november with asking if they’ve sent it already. They answered that it will be send today, so I don’t know if they forgot about it or sth? Finally I got it and I was surprised that it was almost complete I had to just mount mudguards, brakes etc.

For the first 2 weeks I really enjoyed ridding this e-bike. Of course there was some squeaking but I used to that, I cannot adjust brakes but I thought it’s just me that I don’t know how to do that properly etc.

Battery
First thing I found faulty – indicator on battery. It should indicates you how much battery still left but in my e-bike all the time showing full battery. I wrote about that to Zak and he offer my that I can send the battery to them and they will repair it. But as I said I need this bike to get to work, so one week without a bike was a problem. Every day I charge the battery so indicator it’s not that important to me so when Zak answered it will not affect the battery any way I decided to not send battery to cyclotricity.

Tyres
After 2 weeks ridding first front tyre puncture. I was late at work so it was really annoying. 20 pounds for repairing at Halfords. I asked them what I should do to avoid that kind of situation. They said what pressure I have to have in tyre and then I keep it. After some time puncture rear one and front one again. Next e-mail to cyclotricity. They said they didn’t get any feedback from customers like that so probably my bad luck (not true, they got at least one feedback about that – see user Dimple at http://forums.overclockers.co.uk). I cannot afford any more lates to work so the same as Dimple I bought new tyres – Schwalbe Marathon for 50 pounds. Till now no puncture (touch woods!!!) so I assume it wasn’t bad luck just low quality of tyres.

Shocks
There are front shocks but in my bike they not working at all. When 80 kilograms men push it with all force they move a little but you can’t feel it working at all when ridding.

Brakes

Brakes are made by Wuxiing?? As I said at the beginning I had a problem to adjust them at first but I thought it’s something with my. But after some time I didn’t have a brakes at all. I went to cyclo shop to repair it and they said I have to change all set because it’s impossible to adjust them. So it wasn’t my fault. After sending an e-mail cyclotricity sent my new set and it was Tektro. Far better, working fine right now. I don’t know why they didn’t mount it to the new bikes?

E-kit
After all this happened I thought that better idea will be buy a e-kit for 399 pounds and some bike from Halfords for 250 pounds because till then all problems I had it was because of low quality of bike. But then I can’t switch on e-bike from my led after pushing on/off button nothings happened. I emailed again to cyclotricity and they said I have to sent them all cables, computer and led. Again this is my mode of transport to work so I cannot afford one week without my bike. So they sent me a cable which was broken.
And now my engine is sometimes stop working and being noisy. They said I have to disconnect and connect all cables and check if sensor is place properly. So I did that and I’m observe it.
So e-kit is not 100% sure as well as bike.

Every morning I’m thinking what next can be broken. I thought that when I will buy an used car I will feel like that!

This e-bike is for sure not for someone who is looking for a not disappointed mode of transport.
I can recommend it if:
- you have a lot time to send and e-mails, call this company
- if you will not need it all the time because you have to send it to repair
- if you will just keep it not used or use it just occasionally maybe it will be working until you will have warranty on it

All I write here I can prove by emails I exchanged with cyclotricity. All good I can said about this company is a quick answers to my questions and problems. They sent my brakes and cable. But in my opinion they selling very low quality e-bike.
I’m really satisfied with idea of e-bikes but never again Cyclotricity!!!
I wrote all this review to warn you from this e-bikes because when I was looking for any review about this bike I can’t find any. I hope it will help someone.

AVOID AT ALL COST!!!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
:( Sometimes you get what you pay for but not all of the time, as can be expected you will get low end components on these bikes. However saying that LEBC are offering the Vita Uno for £599 with some good components for the money. Despite your problems with this bike it does seem that you had good responses and back up with your problems so thumbs up for that, unfortunately you weren't able to be with out the bike so the faults would have been dealt with other wise. Most bikes at some time will have niggles so you will never be totally happy all the time.

Summing it up I would say that the bike was not great and you have had a bad experience with it , on the flip side if you had returned the bike most problems would have been rectified and customer service wise you can't fault the company for not trying as they did try to help by offering parts and repairs.

Ejmi

Mar 15, 2015
Hello Nealh.

This is exactly what I was trying to say: avoid to buy this bike when you're looking for bike which will not dissapoint you. If you have a lot of time and can afford to send back bike/parts etc and not have it for some time you can risk. But you have to be aware of low quality of this bikes and as I wrote is not just one part which was broken.
If I will see this kind of review when I was buying bike I will choose for sure something else. This is why I wrote it.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Hello Ejmi,
The electric kit you have on the bike would have cost you £499, not £399.
This leaves you with a £150 bike which is never going to have expensive components.
As you say, good tyres cost £50 for a set but at least you have decent tyres on the bike now.
If you are going to use a bike regularly you really need to be able to mend a puncture and be able to do minor adjustment yourself. There's lots of folk on here who will advise you and talk you through things if you get stuck.
It's worth while learning how to fit a new tube whilst at home rather than by the roadside, (are there any cycle maintenance classes nearby which you could join) that way you can avoid quite a lot of running costs.
You basically have a good quality electric kit fitted to the bike which could be fitted to a better bike in the future.
Cyclotricity have a good reputation for customer service, If you are prepared to return the bike for repairs I'm sure You will end up satisfied.

Dave.

Reactions: Scott clarke

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Stick that kit on most mtbs costing about 450 and you will have a good bike, Plenty on Ebay etc for up to 200-300 used.

Also as been mentioned in the past if you are not to good at bike diy buy local for the back up.

Reactions: Scott clarke

Ejmi

Mar 15, 2015
Hello D C
I don't know how is the price right now, but when I bought it it was 399 pounds for sure. Right now I know how to mend punctures, adjust brakes etc and I'm still learning new things (I have to). Only things is annoying you woke up in the morning and you not sure if you can get at work on time, because sth new come up.
As I mentioned after all this problems with bike I was convinced about good quality of e-kit but I start having a problems with it as well so I'm not that sure if I can reccomend it to anyone.
And I have no doubts about good customer service of this company, that's for sure.
I just want to give people information to be aware about quality of this bike before purchase.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
As you've worked out, you have a cheap (and nasty) bike with a budget motor kit.

I doubt it will ever be reliable.

Your commute at 11 miles is doable, but is still relatively hard on any bicycle's components day in, day out.

So you need something decent which will do the job.

Do you have any spare money to sort the problem?

An ebike for £1,000 or a bit more would be much better quality.

Ejmi

Mar 15, 2015
Hello RobF

Unfortunately after spending 650 pounds I don't have extra 1000 pounds for new one. If I will have knowledge which I have right now when I bought this crap I will add this 350 to buy far better one but as I said I found just some quite good or neutral review about cyclotricity bikes.
This review is for people like me just to help them avoid my mistake.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I wont try to manage your finances, but is the Cycle to Work scheme an option?

Many employers offer it, although I had to make several inquiries at my place of work to find the details.

Even if you are restricted to Halfords, they have EBCO bikes.

There's a £1,099 one which I reckon would do your commute reasonably reliably.

I've tried the bike and found it excellent for the money.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/ebco-ucr30-electric-bike

Ejmi

Mar 15, 2015
RobF thanks for good idea!
Firstly I have to ask at my company about that. But I checked this Scheme and it says up to 1000 pounds tax free. So I'm not sure if this ebco will clasified to this.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
RobF thanks for good idea!
Firstly I have to ask at my company about that. But I checked this Scheme and it says up to 1000 pounds tax free. So I'm not sure if this ebco will clasified to this.
There's a £900 one that's almost as good, and I expect Halfords could work the figures to get the £1,099 onto the scheme, even if you have to pay the £99 cash.

EBCO are also sold in bike shops, which is where I tried the bike.

I know the owner of the shop would juggle the figures to put the £1,099 bike on Cycle to Work.

Another point is the scheme is not limited to £1,000 if your employer has a credit licence.

I don't know your occupation, but it's worth inquiring if you think your employer might have a credit licence.

Ejmi

Mar 15, 2015
I will ask in my company about all these things, but I see that you have a wide knowledge about that.
Thanks.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Another option would be to consider a push bike.

You have been cycling for a few months now, so will have built up a little bike fitness.

Your commute is only 5.5miles, so you would only have to face pedalling for about 30 minutes, or even a bit less.

I don't know how steep your hills are, but you might be pleasantly surprised how easy a lightweight hybrid bike is to pedal.

You can get one with a wide range of gears - look for three chainrings on the front.

First gear on a bike like that is very low, so you may be able to spin up the hills slowly, but without too much effort.

To use Halfords again, this Boardman is a good example.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes-and-classic-bikes/boardman-mx-sport-2014

Ejmi

Mar 15, 2015
Probably because of the money for now I will be riding this bike which I have and I will be observe if the engine it's ok.
I will ask in my company about this Scheme and after I will know they have it I will consider 3 options:
1. Buying new e-bike
2. Buying new bike and put e-kit to it
3. Buying hybrid one like this above.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Probably because of the money for now I will be riding this bike which I have and I will be observe if the engine it's ok.
I will ask in my company about this Scheme and after I will know they have it I will consider 3 options:
1. Buying new e-bike
2. Buying new bike and put e-kit to it
3. Buying hybrid one like this above.
Makes sense.

You do have a bike so there's no rush, and you want to be sure your next cycle purchase decision is the right one.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Hello D C
I don't know how is the price right now, but when I bought it it was 399 pounds
Simply in the interests of setting the record straight £399 was the price for the kit with frog battery and throttle only. On your bike you have the bottle battery and LED display with Pedal Assistance System (PAS) which has been priced at £499 since I bought my kit a couple of years back.
I don't think you need to spend a lot to get the kit on another bike, as Nealh says you will get a decent quality bike for £200 upwards which will take the kit you have. You may be able to sell the Cyclotricity bike without kit and get your money back for the tyres (maybe swop them to the new bike first) and you will have then spent around £850 and have a decent bike.
I've been using my kit for around two years and a couple of thousand miles, it's had some hard use, lots of steep hills and rough tracks and even with my brick sh-house build it's been very reliable and certainly not rubbish, it should be all you need for your relatively short commute.
Good that you've been learning a bit about bikes, that should save you a few quid at Halfords:)
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Dave.

Ejmi

Mar 15, 2015
After all these problems all I wanted is to send this bike to them, get a refund, buy a decent one and forget about this company.

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
I was considering buying the Cyclotricty Stealth 1000w. That was until I had a test ride on it. It was ridiculously fast and powerful, which was a real hoot, but it was also incredibly noisy (which was odd considering its a direct drive motor) and the components and overall feel of the bike felt cheap. Rather like a £150 Halfords type bike with a huge motor bolted on the back wheel, which is I suspect more or less what it is. The dealership also stocked the Revolver 500w but I didn't even bother test riding it. The slightly dodgy legality of the bikes was a concern but it was the cheap components and unrefined ride that really put me off.

I know it is of little consolation to you now that you've bought it but this is more evidence if any were needed that people really should test ride a bike before they buy it.

For what it's worth (if you do manage to get a refund) I've also had test rides on several other bikes. Of those the ones that have impressed most are the bikes from Ezee, Volt, Oxygen and the Fast4ward Peak. The Peak is currently on sale here for not much more than you paid your Cylotricity Revolver - http://smartebike.co.uk/products/fast4ward-peak. The Sprint Primo would also be worth considering (the Ezee motor has superb power and hill climbing ability and the bikes are good quality) http://www.cyclezee.com/ezee-sprint-primo.html