Daily 17km Commute - some steepish hills..

MostlyHarmless

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 8, 2018
Dear All, hopefully someone can help - and apologies, it's got a bit long. I've been commuting by bike (10km) all year for 16 years, no problem. But that's going up to 17km - and it might be a lot to ask to keep doing that everyday (I've had to do it a few times so far over the past year and it's really no fun in the wind; nice in the sun though). The extra 7km is flat, but exposed and usually into the wind on the way home; the other 10km (same as before) includes uphill sections up to 10% and 500m (ish).

I can get a Dawes ARC, Raleigh Stow-e-way or Raleigh Array straightforwardly on cycle to work - so my question is, are any of these going to be up to taking some of the effort out of the journey? Especially the return journey.

A secondary question - The ARC is the cheapest, I've had a Dawes Horizon to commute on for 14 years and it's been great. It also has disc brakes (I've been though a fair number of wheels - rims worn though), and I'll be able to keep a folder in my office (I'm used to a nice secure lockup; new place has reputation for bikes walking). But I'm not sure if a folder is a good choice for a journey like this - never had one (or an electric).

If those are not good options, are there any sensible alternatives? It doesn't have to be on cycle to work - but anything much over £1500 and annual bus passes will be cheaper for the time I'm likely to be working there. Range is not a problem - I can charge at work. (I've thought of converting the Dawes, but unless there are no realistic alternatives, I'd rather leave it alone).

Thanks!:)

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Everyone is different and everyone has their own favourites but I’ve had a gtech for over 2 and a half years and it’s been perfect for me. I have a similar journey and for convenience nothing comes close imo. Zero maintenance, bar changing some brake pads and it’s very, very light compared to most other e bikes thanks to its carbon chain and other design pluses. It also looks like a bike with its clever battery design.

You get a free 30 day trial so you literally have nothing to lose as well.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
GTECH won't fit under the office desk !!!

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
GTECH won't fit under the office desk !!!

A decent lock would suffice. He’s said there is scope for a bike rack. Just bring the battery into work. Lock the bike up securely and leave the lock there.

No one is going to nick a gtech. Another part of its charm.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Although I have never owned one many pedelec members rate the bikes whoosh sell and are within your budget and worth checking out.

MostlyHarmless

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 8, 2018
Dear All, thanks:)
Eagle must admit I'd always thought the G-Tech was a gimmick, but seems not:) but not sure it gets me more than the Array which is 1/2 the price (more or less) on C2W? More maintenance yes, but I'm used to that.

Eagle, yes I was was thinking it might be a bit much - a folder isn't essential - would be handy for other reasons, but not if it won't work for the commute (already have a decent lock). Thanks for the thread link - I am pretty fit though, at least when it comes to cycling.

GeorgeHenry - yes, have been looking a Whoosh

Thanks again