DAS Kit C6 fault

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I have a EBici bike here with faults. I have been through the set up procedure a few times but to no avail.

The faults - power assist comes in and out randomly and the amount varies regardless of the level (1 to 6) selected.

The display shows inaccurate information regarding speed etc.

Is there a full factory reset I can do? Am I just missing something or does the unit need replacing?

Thanks.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I have a EBici bike here with faults. I have been through the set up procedure a few times but to no avail.

The faults - power assist comes in and out randomly and the amount varies regardless of the level (1 to 6) selected.

The display shows inaccurate information regarding speed etc.

Is there a full factory reset I can do? Am I just missing something or does the unit need replacing?

Thanks.
Please be more specific about what you mean by inaccurate speed. Intermittent pedal assist is normally a pedal sensor fault. Which one do you have?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sounds like you have a faulty or more likley incorrect set up of the pedal sensor.
We need to see some pics of bottom bracket area where the sensor is fitted .

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Please be more specific about what you mean by inaccurate speed. Intermittent pedal assist is normally a pedal sensor fault. Which one do you have?
Speed - the bike is found maybe 12mph and the indicated speed may be 1.8mph. It varies by an onconsistent factor. Never shows more that 2.7mph.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
You've set the number of magnets in the speed sensor to 6 instead of 1.
Thanks that sounds feasible. I don't recall seeing a set up screen for that so I need to be doing a bit more research thanks.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Sounds like you have a faulty or more likley incorrect set up of the pedal sensor.
We need to see some pics of bottom bracket area where the sensor is fitted .
I can sort a picture out but can you help by telling me specifically what you're looking to se? Thanks.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Is the wheel size set correctly in the C6 sub menu ?
From what I see via the C7 manual which is identical to the C6 display manual there appears to be no speed magnet input so any speed reading input is dependant on the correct wheel size being selected in the sub menu, calculations are then automatic.

After that if the speed still doesn't read correct then one must suspect either a missing /loose internal hub magnet or a failed hall sensor . If the bike uses a spoke magnet then alignment or the magent gap to sensor head will be the issue.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Is the wheel size set correctly in the C6 sub menu ?
From what I see via the C7 manual which is identical to the C6 display manual there appears to be no speed magnet input so any speed reading input is dependant on the correct wheel size being selected in the sub menu, calculations are then automatic.

After that if the speed still doesn't read correct then one must suspect either a missing /loose internal hub magnet or a failed hall sensor . If the bike uses a spoke magnet then alignment or the magent gap to sensor head will be the issue.
Thanks, my separate investigations are leading me to that conclusion yes. I'm away in Spain at the moment and will take it down when I get home.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Let's take a step back. Did you get a replacement LCD, and the replacement is giving faults?
No but the rear wheel motor was replaced by an Ebici dealer in Spain a couple of years ago. I bought the bike very cheaply and with the new motor it has been excellent - HOWEVER durong my ownership this fault has always been there.
I guess I'm answering my own question!

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I guess I'm answering my own question!
Brilliant, but just for those that still don't get it, some motors have one magnet in the speed sensor and some have 6. Normally there's a setting in the LCD for that, but if there isn't, your speed will be out by a factor of 6. That can work against you if the controller is multiplying the speed because the cut-off speed will be too low; or it can work for you, if you wanted derestriction, by deviding the actual speed so that it would never reach the cut-off.

If only you guys would give us all the facts in the beginning, then we could get straight to the cause of the problem and the solution. Sorry to moan, but It's my crusade at the moment because it;s happening too much. That's my beef. You can 'ave another ham.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As always when something has been changed and doesn't then work , then there is always a logical answer behind it when the full facts are known. Looking like the new hub then does have a different magnet count to the exisiting one then.
Das kit stuff is usually only oem so explains why the speed calc is out , if your hub has six magnets one could try removing five of them but means opening the hub. If the hub cover plate is held on by six face screws then the job is already half done.
Or
Depending on how good you are one could fit an external wheel spd sensor, cut the white motor hall sensor wire at the controller and use said white wire from controller for the ext spd sensor sig wire , the gnd and 5v wires would be easy as well to solder. It may require removing some potting silicone to get to the wires possibly.

Reactions: averhamdave

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
As always when something has been changed and doesn't then work , then there is always a logical answer behind it when the full facts are known. Looking like the new hub then does have a different magnet count to the exisiting one then.
Das kit stuff is usually only oem so explains why the speed calc is out , if your hub has six magnets one could try removing five of them but means opening the hub. If the hub cover plate is held on by six face screws then the job is already half done.
Or
Depending on how good you are one could fit an external wheel spd sensor, cut the white motor hall sensor wire at the controller and use said white wire from controller for the ext spd sensor sig wire , the gnd and 5v wires would be easy as well to solder. It may require removing some potting silicone to get to the wires possibly.
Yes, external speed sensor and and 6 magnets would fix it, or open the motor and glue 5 more in. They're standard neodymium magnets that you can buy from Ebay for pence each. Even when your motor only has one magnet, there are normally six dimples in the housing for 6 magnets, five empty.

Reactions: averhamdave

Advertisers