Dawes Boost Suburbia

GaryEarle

Just Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Blyth, Northumberland
Hi
almost a year ago I bought a new Dawes Boost ebike, I've not cycled since i was 18 (driving test :) ) I'm more than a little over weight and wanted to get back into cycling. We have the cycle to work scheme so I had a choice, I live 9 mile from work, Buy a decent standard bike and realistically use it odd weekendswhen i can be bothered to go out, as I'm not going to do 9 mile each way and want to work... way back when i'd have done it in no time. OR buy an ebike and hopefully in time use it for work. I've used it a little but not enough and never for work, I've only charged the battery once in the time i've had it. but hopefully this will change and next Summer i'll be using it for work daily.
It's a good bike and i'm more than haqppy with it. A little big frame size but the motors good :) I would have liked better instructions for the LCD display and the motor, i've asked recently from Dawes and heard nothing :( . I wasnt impressed with the after sales service from the shop either... but you live and learn.
Happy Cycling All

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Gary, welcome to the forum. Please don't neglect that battery, they are very expensive and need certain care. It's very important to recharge at least once every three months and preferably every two months, whether used or not. If you don't do that the battery can fail beyond any chance of recovery.

GaryEarle

Just Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Blyth, Northumberland
As the title of this string is my bike I'll do a little extra review and waffle a bit :)
I've had the bike over a year and used it little so far, I'm not very impressed with the cycle to work scheme, savings didn't seem that good after buy back at best its equal to interest free credit... but it got me a bike, and I like it although I don't think I would recommend a Dawes Bike, as I've now 3 times tried to get a response from Dawes about a rattle (I've discovered the way the battery mounts to the rack) the onboard cycle computer is reading low and I've asked for instructions to re-calibrate it, again nothing back.. I like the bike but I couldn't recommend the company. Back to the bike, it's taken a year to use it for work, after a weekend trial run Today I set off, morning journey, just over 8 mile wasn't bad, strangely after a day's work and travelling in the dark the trip home was more enjoyable. even if I couldn't see more than 4 foot in front of me while on unlit cycle tracks, some of the roads leave a lot to be desired, the car obviously soaks up a lot of pot holes. I need to use my car for work most days but hopefully I'll get into a regular routine when the cars not needed.
One question
HOW DO I STOP THE PINS AND NEEDLS IN MY HANDS :)

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Lol....

1 Stop griping the bars so tightly
2 Change the bar height ( either higher or lower) but to a position where your wrists are 'relaxed'
3 Get a Dutch style bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 4366

You sometimes get numb hads when your jacket (or other clothing) pinches the nerves under your arm-pits when you stretch your arms out, in which case get looser clothing or don't stretch so far.

lanerideruk

Just Joined
Nov 15, 2012
Pins & Needles

You sometimes get numb hads when your jacket (or other clothing) pinches the nerves under your arm-pits when you stretch your arms out, in which case get looser clothing or don't stretch so far.
I started to get P & N in my hands until I had an operation on my wrist to rectify Karpul tunnel syndrome, had no P & N since, If you spend all day on a computer this could be the problem as I only noticed it when driving the car. good luck
Bill

adrianJB

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 30, 2012
I agree that Dawes are not in the business of making friends with their customers. As in comments above, I had emailed them twice requesting answers to simple questions, and they couldn't be bothered replying.

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
I agree that Dawes are not in the business of making friends with their customers. As in comments above, I had emailed them twice requesting answers to simple questions, and they couldn't be bothered replying.
Hmmm, What is the deal with replacing batteries on these bikes? I guess buying from Dawes directly would be costly, is there a cheaper option on purchasing a battery that would be significantly cheaper?

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
I don't know, as I don't own one (yet). If the lug inn was in the middle on the Dawes would it simply be a case of purchasing a battery such as the one on the link & slipping it straight in, or would further fiddling be required? Ta, Rus