Dawes Galaxy suggestions . . .

robgul

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2017
UK
. . . looking to convert a Dawes Galaxy tourer (to be road legal) - so far I have decided:

1 Front wheel hub motor (in 700c black-rimmed wheel)
2 Downtube battery
3 No "throttle lever" option, just pedal assist with power setting options
4 Existing brake levers (working dual-pivot calipers)
5 Existing drive-train gearing (pretty much MTB ratios with 3 x 7)

. . . I'm used to touring 60-70 miles per day and anticipate only wanting power for hills (which I would expect to switch on/select as and when)

All suggestions appreciated

Thanks

Rob

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I've recently converted an Orbit to a FWD set up using a Panda Pro kit. Back then it was £200, but more now as it was on special offer. Its connectors are very easy to set up and fit. One minor criticism is the quality of the controller housing. It seemed rather porous and brittle to me, so I now have the controller in a saddle pack. It's a very smooth kit and it whisks me along at an average speed of 16MPH, although I do put in quite a bit of effort myself. It can be set to be limited to 15.5MPH quite easily via the display. There's a somewhat convoluted thread of my conversion here.

Whatever kit you get, I strongly recommend fitting a Kunteng all-in-one PAS instead of the 2-piece disc type. It is a much neater solution, although you may need to fit a different connector to suit the type of kit you buy.

I bought my battery separately from Jimmy at BGA reworking. It's a frame-mounted, 17.5Ah one and is excellent. £375 though. I get more than double the range of the battery on my Oxygen - although I ride faster on that bike and it is 2 years old, so it's an unfair comparison, I'll grant you. Give Jimmy a call and he will build something to your budget. If you do choose BGA, let them know you'll need longer cables if buying a Panda kit, due to the housing not being up to the task, IMHO.

If you're keeping your drop bars, maybe someone else can recommend some compatible sensor brake levers...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I'd go for a smaller motor. the Q100H and the Bafang SWXU are about 1kg lighter, which makes a big difference to the handling with a front wheel motor. I don't know any UK suppliers, so I'd get it from a Chinese supplier, like BMSbattery, Greenbikekit or Elifebike/PSWPower. They all sell 15A KT controllers, which are probably the most suitable, as they give the best PAS function with the best response time.

There's loads of options for batteries, but be aware that the Hailong/08 cases have the fixing screws at the top end, so you have to install your own rivnuts to the frame. Whatever battery you get, make sure that it it contains branded cells.

robgul

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2017
UK
I've recently converted an Orbit to a FWD set up using a Panda Pro kit. Back then it was £200, but more now as it was on special offer. Its connectors are very easy to set up and fit. One minor criticism is the quality of the controller housing. It seemed rather porous and brittle to me, so I now have the controller in a saddle pack. It's a very smooth kit and it whisks me along at an average speed of 16MPH, although I do put in quite a bit of effort myself. It can be set to be limited to 15.5MPH quite easily via the display. There's a somewhat convoluted thread of my conversion here.

Whatever kit you get, I strongly recommend fitting a Kunteng all-in-one PAS instead of the 2-piece disc type. It is a much neater solution, although you may need to fit a different connector to suit the type of kit you buy.

I bought my battery separately from Jimmy at BGA reworking. It's a frame-mounted, 17.5Ah one and is excellent. £375 though. I get more than double the range of the battery on my Oxygen - although I ride faster on that bike and it is 2 years old, so it's an unfair comparison, I'll grant you. Give Jimmy a call and he will build something to your budget. If you do choose BGA, let them know you'll need longer cables if buying a Panda kit, due to the housing not being up to the task, IMHO.

If you're keeping your drop bars, maybe someone else can recommend some compatible sensor brake levers...
Thanks - I do believe we know each other ? I have to say my preference is a "pre-pack" solution from a single supplier rather than buying bits and putting them together on what could be a trial and error basis.

Rob

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Hello Rob! Didn't look at the name! Panda offer batteries as well as kits. Specify the right connectors and BGA's battery will slot right onto the kit you choose. All I did was take a photo of the kit's controller connectors and BGA fitted those to the cables. You'll get more AH for the buck with BGA. I'm fairly confident I'd get 70 miles plus out of the Orbit if I reined in the top speed. You would get more, I'm sure.

Come round and try the Orbit and the Oxygen one day. The latter is my fast commuter/off-roader and is great fun.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

JohnM

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 17, 2018
I wonder how this project turned out? I've been using my wife's Koga bike after an illness and love it, so now I'm thinking, can I convert my Dawes Super Galaxy? Is there any more recent advice - the last post was Nov 17
Thanks

robgul

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2017
UK
It didn't!

- after much research and a couple of trial rides I decided that the conversion was too much of a compromise - old bike, wires all over the place, big ugly battery ...

In March I bough a brand new Orbea Gain e-Road Bike - absolutely brilliant. There are other threads here about the Orbeas.

I realise that the costs are rather different with the Orbea costing about 2.5 times the conversion but I have the money to do it, and looking ahead I have something of value should I want to sell it ..... and I still have my beloved Galaxy which gets ridden from time-to-time.

Rob

JohnM

Oct 17, 2018
Thanks for troubling to reply Robgul. I'm coming to the same conclusion. Conversions look a bit clunky. I'm floating on air at the moment because I've just managed 13 miles flat out on my unassisted road bike. It doesn't sound much but of it's a small victory. If I can get it up to 50 miles and build in a few hills I won't need an ebike at all (just kidding - a couple of weeks on my wife's one have convinced me)

I'll have a look at the Orbea.

robgul

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2017
UK
No problem. Depending where you are you're welcome to look at mine (Warwickshire)
Delivery is very extended but I work in the trade and may be able help with supply of Orbea and a couple of other quality brands.

Rob

JohnM

Oct 17, 2018
Thanks for the offer. I'm in Essex so can't take advantage of it.