Dead? Battery thoughts please

Vinnystoolbox

Just Joined
Oct 15, 2017
Uk
Hi all,

So I got a shiny me rear rack 36v battery from a large well known shopping website.
Tried charging it for many hours, which achieved nothing, measured the voltage as 1.1v at both charge and discharge plugs.
So after getting a refund decided to investigate further.

Dismantled battery to find all in order, however all cells read 0.1v. So very very wary of lithium cells, I have fast electric RC boats and planes so well aware of the dangers of these cells, I left the battery pack outside for a day or two, but the chance of recovering it kept bothering me. Charged again for a few hours and the volts were 8.8v and 1.1v at each set of cells.
After a day the voltage had dropped to 5.5v so obviously a drain. I clipped the rear led and battery meter wires and left it overnight, no voltage drop.

A half hour charge later 34.4v as you can guess I reconnected the charger, up to 36.5v now, no heat or puffing of cells and I can't help but wonder if this was a cell low volt cutoff and maybe this pack can be salvaged after all.

The cells are Samsung 26h's so shouldn't have protection, any one have any ideas how this could be? Do some 26h have protection?

Thanks for the upcoming safety warnings

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The cells are unprotected supposedly a tiny bit better then the 26F, the only protection afforded to them is the BMS but if they have discharged that low they will probably be toast. Even if you get them to charge and hold voltage I suspect in use they will crash as soon as any decent load is applied or will do so in the first couple of miles.

Advertisers