'Dead' Sirocco CDL

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Background: I last used this bike on Monday 21st December. I had recently replaced the KingMeter battery, but all went well to and from work, a distance of 16 miles. It was raining on the way home, but no worse than the previous weeks. I put the bike on charge and forgot all about it until last Monday.

I got ready for the ride to work and unhooked it from the charger. However, when I went to turn it on, nothing. Completely dead. I tried the battery switch, but that made no difference either. Fearing a dodgy CR2032 battery, I just put in another one. Nothing.

OK, I should have unplugged it from the charger, I suppose, but it has been left with it attached for long periods in the past with apparently no ill effect. The battery appears to be fully charged when I push in the button on the back of the battery.

Any ideas or suggestions?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Check first with a volt meter that you have 41V at the battery output port.
Let us know.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
The battery is stuck in the holder and has been since I bought it. Turning the key makes no difference. Any advice on that?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
unlock the battery and pull it out. You'll see the output port where the battery contacts the pins on the controller side. Check the two outside pins (battery side) with a volt meter - or it can be the two middle pins. If there is a switch, switch the battery on.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
It is stuck. I have been unable to remove it since buying the bike secondhand...

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
can you still turn the key in the lock? 180 degrees anticlockwise unlocks it.
Wiggle the battery to loosen it. You can drip a little WD40 along the join with the controller box to make the two boxes not sticking to one another.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Right, a determined attempt found a hex screw jamming the battery underneath the rack. I've no idea whether that's been there all along.

Anyway, it's off now and I'm getting 39V, which isn't bad considering it was last charged last weekend.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the CR3032 silver battery is for keeping the clock on the LCD, it won't be the cause of your problem. It's a bit worrying that the voltage has dropped to 39V. Between 41.5V when full to 39V, that's about 20% charge, 10 miles ride. Put a bit of grease in the battery contact to make sure that the contact will work properly when you put the battery back. Lock the battery again and try switching on the LCD. Is it working now?

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I didn't think it would, but it was the only change I've made to the bike since it was working OK. I'll try some grease on the terminals to see if that helps...

...Nope, still as dead as a dodo.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
You may feel that it's time to contact support at woosh for help. If you want to go on, then next step is to pull the battery out, remove 4 screws that hold the battery connector on the controller box side and open it. You will have access to the controller. You see a red and a black wire coming from the battery connector to the controller. You need to check that the battery voltage is there, reaching the controller. The LCD is connected to a 5-pin JST plug. Make sure it's not pulled. You will need to reconnect the battery to the plate you unscrewed earlier and use the volt meter to check the battery voltage.

Reactions: Warwick

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Hmm, apart from the fact that it's now dark and cold in the garage, I don't really feel confident enough to start delving too deeply into the gubbins. I can fettle most things on a 'normal' bike, but this is out of my depth. I'll see if Woosh support have any ideas. Thanks for the input Trex.

John5001

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2014
I had a similar issue 18 months ago. It was in fact the king meter which was replaced by Whoosh.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Woosh got back to me very rapidly with a response to my issue, so lots of credit for that. Anyway, I need to check the wiring out, but I suspect something similar to John5001's problem, as the bike was stood still with no disruption for two weeks, and was working fine up to the problem I have now.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you should tell them what John said.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Still unresolved, but I have to take my hat off to Andy at Woosh support. He's got back to me quickly every time I've written. I've been given some good advice and, I'm hoping, a solution. Given that the bike is two years old and I didn't buy it direct from Woosh, I'd say that's good service.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Yes, the advice and help has been very good. However, the bike has only done 1100 miles and I am now being asked to stump up £70+ for parts that should not have failed in that time. Of course, I'll have to pay, but I have let them know my disappointment at this.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
what do you have to buy?

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
The King Meter, cabling and, on a sale or return basis, the controller.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
they don't all die at the same time. The most expensive item is the LCD then the controller. The cable is the cheapest. Let's hope it's just a damaged cable. You can always detach the LCD and/or the controller and send it/them in for testing, it'll save you having to advance the cash.

Advertisers