Death notification

andrewgardner

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2009
I never had one but three of my friends had, Andy had a blue one Steve had a red one and Peter had the 5 geared one, needed brazing from time to time and the front wheel used to shake like mad when you went downhill at speed but still an iconic bike. Happy days.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I really really wanted one. Only issue was the name sounding too much like"shopper", which is what I got that Christmas.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
I suppose the Chopper was a classic example of style over substance but well done that man, (Alan Oakley) for thinking about it and getting it approved by his bosses at Raleigh and into production. Dragons' den wasn't around in those days but I suspect they would have been negative, had Mr Oakley required funding.

It seemed to me that every paper boy in my area had one. Indeed, when I passed the local paper shop early in the morning, the shop front area and wide pavement was covered in Choppers, so much so that I did wonder for a time if they were supplied by the shop.

Indalo

HD462

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2012
Teesside, UK
I had a Chopper, a red Mk2, used to be able to wheelie it for ages. My aunt wouldn't let my cousin have one as she thought they were dangerous because of their reputation for getting the front wheel up easily. I got it when I was about seven I think, was my main bike until I got a racer when I was twelve, then the Chopper became my work bike (paper round, morning and nights in all weathers), and commuter to school. Still used it up until I was sixteen when I sold it for a tenner to go towards my first motorbike (Suzuki A50). Served me well for nine years. :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, style over substance indeed, but it's value was in the way it got so many kids cycling again after a decline over many years.

We need a new Alan Oakley and "Chopper bike" now, to persuade kids to overcome parental fears about road safety, since this has all but stopped kids cycling in many areas now.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
We need a new Alan Oakley and "Chopper bike" now, to persuade kids to overcome parental fears about road safety, since this has all but stopped kids cycling in many areas now.
I'm entirely in agreement with that Flecc. Although I have no official statistics, I feel sure that this computer/games machine generation of youngsters is way down on previous generations in terms of the amount of time spent outdoors getting fresh air in team sports, cycling or any other athletic pursuit.

Although the olympic games may inspire some, a new, hip or cool, (or whatever the latest terminology is) essential accessory in the manner of the "Chopper" is really what's needed.

Perhaps there's a fortune to be made by some entrepreneurial type in making such a machine widely available?

Indalo

Advertisers