decisions decisions...

Timbo47

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 8, 2016
Northants
Thanks to helpful advice from kind folks on here and much research, I now know pretty much what I need but, like many newbies I suspect, I'm still having trouble deciding exactly which make/model to go for on what for me is a major purchase.
I'm not asking anyone to state 'which bike is best' of course, but I could really do with some advice please on the pros/cons of what's available in my price range...

budget: £2800 to £3,300'ish
requirements: dual suspension, 500Wh battery, 27.5", 17" frame, crank drive (Yamaha or Bosch CX 75nm)

Options I'm currently considering:
KTM Macina Lycan 27 CX500
Scott e-spark 720
Cube Stereo Hybrid 120/140 HPA 500

Looking a reviews etc, KTM seem to have the edge in quality but I think the equipment spec is a little lower than others of the same price. I could be wrong as I'm not that clued up on component specs, but it has Continental tyres and I think a lower spec of shox than others of similar price.

All comments very gratefully received, and suggestions if there are other options I haven't thought of.
Thanks!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
My view is all the quality makes are just that, quality makes, and that they are all of similar quality.

So from that point of view, I would happily buy a KTM, a Scott, a Cube, a Trek, a Lapierre, etc, etc.

Thus it comes down to spec and personal preference for style and colour.

Full sus is more complex because the different designs perform differently.

Realistically, you cannot find out which would suit you best because to do that you would need to test each bike for many hours on the trails you use.

The Bosch system is generally reliable, but not easy or simple to service if it does go wrong.

I would err strongly towards buying the bike from a local supplier/the one with the best reputation, whichever make they happen to sell.

Reactions: Crockers
D

Deleted member 4366

Personally, I think you've over-specified your choice. If you're riding on the road and trails, there'slots of good bikes in the £1200 to £1800 range. You're relatively light, so power won't be an issue. Even the cheaest electric bikes work pretty well. I think that maybe a Kudos Tornado or an Oxygen MTB would give you everything you need.

If you have money to spare, get whatever floats your boat.

Timbo47

Oct 8, 2016
Northants
My view is all the quality makes are just that, quality makes, and that they are all of similar quality.

So from that point of view, I would happily buy a KTM, a Scott, a Cube, a Trek, a Lapierre, etc, etc.

Thus it comes down to spec and personal preference for style and colour.

Full sus is more complex because the different designs perform differently.

Realistically, you cannot find out which would suit you best because to do that you would need to test each bike for many hours on the trails you use.

The Bosch system is generally reliable, but not easy or simple to service if it does go wrong.

I would err strongly towards buying the bike from a local supplier/the one with the best reputation, whichever make they happen to sell.
Thanks Rob, it's not so much a brand choice but rather how they compare specification wise... seems to me that KTM may offer slightly lower spec'd components for the price when compared to the others?

Timbo47

Oct 8, 2016
Northants
Personally, I think you've over-specified your choice. If you're riding on the road and trails, there'slots of good bikes in the £1200 to £1800 range. You're relatively light, so power won't be an issue. Even the cheaest electric bikes work pretty well. I think that maybe a Kudos Tornado or an Oxygen MTB would give you everything you need.

If you have money to spare, get whatever floats your boat.
Thanks D8veh. To explain... I decided on full suspension because most of my riding will be on mountain trails and, as my skill level increases, I'll be tackling much rougher terrain and over long distances, so full sus seems a good idea. Plus, I'd rather not have to upgrade at a later date so I've gone for the highest specs I can afford.

• Agree
Reactions: chris130256

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks Rob, it's not so much a brand choice but rather how they compare specification wise... seems to me that KTM may offer slightly lower spec'd components for the price when compared to the others?
Others may be able to check the specs on each bike, but I doubt there's anything noticeable in it.

All the bikes will have decent quality components from a range of manufacturers, which makes back-to-back comparisons even harder.

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
Have you ridden any of the bikes you listed? If not, the first one you try you'll be amazed. I'd would be happy with any of the bikes on your list for the type of riding I do (see mountain bike photo thread).
I'd second Robf's idea of going to a good local dealer to buy your bike.
Good luck with your purchase. You won't regret it once you find out what these bikes are capable of.

Timbo47

Oct 8, 2016
Northants
Have you ridden any of the bikes you listed? If not, the first one you try you'll be amazed. I'd would be happy with any of the bikes on your list for the type of riding I do (see mountain bike photo thread).
I'd second Robf's idea of going to a good local dealer to buy your bike.
Good luck with your purchase. You won't regret it once you find out what these bikes are capable of.
I've ridden a Specialized Turbo Evo for 10 minutes, that's my only experience on an e-bike as yet. As for dealers, there's not much choice where we're shortly moving to (near Porthmadog in North Wales) and in that area don't seem to list the bikes we want, so I guess I'll have to order online from one of the major retailers and settle for a long drive if there are issues. Looks like I'll be going for a Cube Access WLS 500 for the wife and either Scott 720 or Cube Stereo 120/140 for myself, any suggestions as to the best place to buy these?

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
Nice one. You're moving to n. Wales where there is some of the best mtbing in the UK.
When I bought our bikes, I had to get the wife the same spec'd bike as mine or there would have been trouble! That mean't full suspension. They are more comfortable and forgiving over the bumps and your wife will more likely want to go out riding when the bikes better to ride. If your going to get her a Cube, then you'd be better off buying the Cube too. You should be able to get a discount buying 2 bikes? Can't help you with dealers in your area though.

Timbo47

Oct 8, 2016
Northants
Thanks Chris... you're right and I'd love her to have full sus, but her small size (4'11" and 24" inside leg) means she can't stand over the top tube on anything bigger than a 14" frame hardtail. Also a womens specific bike would help as she also has a fairly short reach for her height, so it seems that there's nothing available that will fit her properly except the Access WLS.

Tigergreen

Aug 25, 2016
Plymouth
Thanks Chris... you're right and I'd love her to have full sus, but her small size (4'11" and 24" inside leg) means she can't stand over the top tube on anything bigger than a 14" frame hardtail. Also a womens specific bike would help as she also has a fairly short reach for her height, so it seems that there's nothing available that will fit her properly except the Access WLS.
Have you considered Haibike? They do a junior sized bike which may be suitable (admittedly it's a hard tail but maybe fit a suspension seatpost?)
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Haibike-Sduro-Hardfour-RX-Junior-24W-Hardtail-MTB-2016-Electric-Bike_90870.htm?sku=315222&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KEQjw4rbABRD_gfPA2-uQqroBEiQA58MNdHYySW9h-YHOkfh5LpXqd0cTclMaTaNzq62xiJPwYmcaAjYC8P8HA
They also do the Sduro Hard life SL which although having full size 27.5" wheels, is a women-specific bike. So has smaller frame sizes and with the cranked crossbar might fit her?http://www.jejamescycles.com/haibike-sduro-hardlife-sl-mountain-bike-2016.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Izzyekerslike

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
The Bosch CX motor would be my choice, but forget Derailure gears, they are so last century IGH all the way for me.

It is just a pity that they do not yet make an ebike with embedded gearbox into the motor, no doubt it will one day come, incorporating the Pinion gear system maybe.

Back in the real world world, I will be going for a Bafang 8Fun mid drive kit, to add to my Rohloff IGH bike, at around £1000 for all the kit, I imagine I will end up with a better ebike, than a £2000+ of the shelf solution.

Timbo47

Oct 8, 2016
Northants
I've considered Haibike but I figured the junior bike with 24" wheels and speed restriction might be a little too small, also certain comments made on these forums have swayed me towards the other brands.
I do have one question...
I found a retailer who has some good deals on 2016 Cubes at the moment. There's a HPA120 Race, a 140 Race and a 160 Race from £2520 to £2772. Is there any reason I shouldn't go for the 160 considering the fairly small extra cost compared to the other 2?

Timbo47

Oct 8, 2016
Northants
Finally took delivery of a 2017 stereo 160 race and access wls pro for the missus. But alas... true to my unlucky form with mail order stuff, the access came with frozen forks. Hats off to Infinity Cube bikes Durham who sent a man with a van 200 miles to replace it with a new bike within 2 days.
Now, looking forward to some long distance mtb'ing in Wales, I'm concerned about punctures. As a complete newbie unfamiliar with tubeless technology and terminology, I'm unsure about what type of pump and tools I need to carry in case of deflation of the Schwalbe Hans Dampf and Rapid Rob/Tough Tom tyres on our bikes. Also, what maintenance is needed with regard to sealant etc and how to fit and remove them? I've done some googling but found only conficting and confusing info, so some pointers would be greatly appreciated please!

Reactions: Kinninvie

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
You sure they are tubeless as standard? Mine are tubeless tyres but had tubes in them when I bought it (tubes much too weak and replaced very quickly). I don't want to go down the tubeless route but if I did I'd carry a spare tyre and tube in case a tyre ripped.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
all new bikes with tubeless will come with tubes fitted as the sealant dont like being left standing still for any length of time and will ball up in the tyre.

Timbo47

Oct 8, 2016
Northants
Thanks. In that case, should we leave them as they are or remove/replace the tubes? (I've read that tubes fitted by manufacturers are not very suitable) Either way, what kind of repair kit and tools do we need to carry in case of a puncture?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Last edited:

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I went tubeless with the front tyre after a slowish puncture. An instant flat in the back wish I'd done both but only having the one valve is my excuse.

I now have valves ready for when I get around to it.