• Derestricted

Votes: 43 46.2%
  • Restricted

Votes: 50 53.8%

• Total voters

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
With my kt lcd's if I set the speed limit to 25km/h, cut off is exactly 17mph and not 15.5mph, so as Flecc has said previously that is legal with 10% error margin.
Mostly though I like it a bit higher.

With KT lcd speed limit can't be adjusted on the move so it is not a switch.
Like soundwave says switch/ mode all the same its adjustable by the user.

Sent from my K107 using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Kits are not submitted for type approval as far as I can see they just need ce stamp and off they go [can you still opt to self certificate ce approval ] we have to trust in the far east supplier manufacturer :eek:
I suspect very few of the mass produced bikes are only sold for only one market , so just have a software change uploaded to comply to each region
I hate to say it but the dreaded suntour system does seem to meet the proposed spec :oops:
How would a self build go with the DOT regs ? has any one seen the cert of conformity for a bafang o_O
Now have two bikes road legal and off road that has to go by car before I can use it and that will end soon as the land has been sold for development :mad:

Reactions: Woosh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if plod dont bother with me then i doubt they will bother anyone else.;)

problem is even if the police try it and send it to the cps they will just see it as not in the public interest to prosecute unless you kill/damage someone but will have to wait and see what happens there.

the law in new york has a 19.9mph limit but again it is not enforced in anyway and rolling round on custom modded 60amp bafangs on you tube.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
That is the point I was attempting to make about kits/ conversions as end users, we have trust data on Chinese websites about compliance just because they sell it as legal does not mean it is
Very true

But is not knowing and carrying on regardless ok as the end user .

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Very true

But is not knowing and carrying on regardless ok as the end user .
in the absence of clarifications from the DfT, respect for the 15.5mph assist speed should be the yardstick.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
My road 250watt has the speed limit enforced I have reprogramed with the laptop to remove the speed limit adjust option from the display it now fixed in the controller it is a personal informed choice[ it now has incredible battery range] that's why I changed from the 350watt that I blindly bought first a newbie error:oops: I like my dl to much to risk 6 points but it means two different bikes it would be my dumb luck if I rode the unrestricted on road

Paultr

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2015
As soon as I decided to get an e-bike my instinct was to go for as much power as possible and stuff the law. For one reason and another I have ended up legal but have to admit am well satisfied with it.

Am sure it depends largely where you live but if there are any more fatalities and particularly if there were to be a flukey occurrence of a couple close together then I would not be surprised at some token prosecutions.

• Agree
Reactions: Nefarious

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Carerra Crossfire-e lol
You should be able to use the derestrictor in the thread below, like I explained in it. You don't need anything other than the Arduino PCB (about £3) - no battery, switch, transistor,coil, etc. You find the speed sensor wire from the motor, cut it and join the motor side to pin 2 and the controller side to pin 12. Use any 5v and ground from the controller to power it.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/ebike-derestrictor.25266/

If you're lucky, you'll be able to install it inside the controller box, so no complicated wiring.
If you want to be really clever, run a bridge through a reed switch and diode between pins 2 and 12 so that you can activate/deactivate it with a magnet.

#13Sep 7, 2016

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/can-you-derestrict-a-carrera-crossfire-e.25204/

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • :D
Reactions: LeighPing

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
One of my bikes has a device fitted!
In the beginning I was swaying between yes and no and eventually decided to not knock it until you have tried it so bought a stealth device that is fitted up inside the downtube, doesn't affect the speedometer and always defaults to off. My reasoning being that the road bike is never ridden on shared paths or in towns with my intention being to only turn it on when out in the wilds and ride out of the treacle zone at about 18mph to keep up with younger companion riders.
In the beginning it revolutionised the bike and was exhilarating to say the least, but with road speeds well in excess of 20mph being easily achievable and 30mph with some effort it sort of took away my reasons for cycling. To ride it at my 18 mph target speed needed so little effort in the normal setting that there was little excersize value whilst going to eco made the uphill bits just too hard and i only tried sport mode once, so, I rarely use it now and it's only still on the bike because it's a pain to remove it cos unlike the bosch bikes where a side panel gives easy access the yamaha needs the motor dropped out and the wires threaded up inside the frame.
So, looking at recent events and other comments in this thread I am guessing that even though this device is not working and can be proved it's not working, the fact that it can be turned on makes it an illegal bike.. is this correct?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
the fact that it can be turned on makes it an illegal bike.. is this correct?
Yes afraid so
I have tried one myself on a mates bike and it is fun for a bit but I too like yourself saw it as a pointless item in as much as I too ride a bike because I enjoy it but also want exercise and assistance above the legal limit just destroys that for me

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the fact that it can be turned on makes it an illegal bike.. is this correct?

yes

tho the same can be said for alot of bikes where you can just change the settings anyway even tho you never change them.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Any change to a shop built bike not carried out by an approved dealer or a non original manufacturer part fitted could therefore not be as type approved how far down the rabbit hole do we go with this
The bafang software escaped into the wild the Suntour has not as far as I know yet what about the Bosch these are intended as a dealer tool

• Agree

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Any change to a shop built bike not carried out by an approved dealer or a non original manufacturer part fitted could therefore not be as type approved how far down the rabbit hole do we go with this
The bafang software escaped into the wild the Suntour has not as far as I know yet what about the Bosch these are intended as a dealer tool
Type approval is for new bikes
Just like cars that are all type Approved

Fitting for example an after market set of brakes too said car doesn’t make it illegal to drive on the road
The same would apply to bikes

If that’s what your getting at

• Informative