derestricting confusion

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
ok, just waiting on delivery of my 2017 giant full e+2. i want to get a dongle that will display the correct speed. its a shame the blackped+ doesnt do this as it looks like it great. now at some point i would like to upgrade to the evo display. some dongles are saying they need a different version for the charge vs evo display but im not sure if that is pre 2017. also there seems to be specific giant dongles.
has anyone here got a 2017 giant with either the charge or evo display that can enlighten me on my options.

cheers

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: Jum42

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well that says it works with both displays so the connector for both must be the same.

not many options for those motors so they just charge what they like imo.

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
well that says it works with both displays so the connector for both must be the same.

not many options for those motors so they just charge what they like imo.
youd think it should but looking at the pictures theres 2 pics of a speedbox 2 and both have different connections. but giant manual says displays are interchangable. as title says, its a little confusing.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yeah i missed that so you either need one or the other so id make up ur mind what display you want to use b4 you buy one then otherwise you have to buy both 1 for each of the displays.

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
yeah i missed that so you either need one or the other so id make up ur mind what display you want to use b4 you buy one then otherwise you have to buy both 1 for each of the displays.
but thats the rub, according to giant the 2017 evo and charge displays are interchangable so there shouldnt be a difference. the connections for the head unit should be the same. its hard to make out and get across with the language barrier when emailing them whether the different connections for the speedbox 2 refer to pre 2017 charge and evo units.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj2JXQ8nVoyOQ98t8ZDUldg

send him a pm as he should know but as i see it the 2 displays are different so prob why the evo one costs more.

or drop the motor down and have a look at the connectors on the motor you got.
bike arrives tomorrow so ill do that. shame the pictures dont label the speedbox 2 for evo or charge. im keeping my fingers crossed the difference is pre 2017 and the new charge/evo are the same

• Agree
Reactions: soundwave

Jum42

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 21, 2017
Hannover
www.ebiketuning.com
its a shame the blackped+ doesnt do this as it looks like it great. now at some point i would like to upgrade to the evo display.
The RedPed, successor of the Blackped+, will show the correct speed at the e bike display (not only at the smartphone), maximum speed from 15 to 75 km/h, switch between km/h and mph, codes to activate and deactivate, invisible bluetooth communication, record driven routes...

- Bosch Gen2 motors,
- Yamaha PW-X & PW-SE motors,
- Yamaha Syncdrive motors (Giant e bikes with RideControl EVO or CHARGE display).

Release date: feb/mar 2018

Smartphone display:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
The RedPed, successor of the Blackped+, will show the correct speed at the e bike display (not only at the smartphone), maximum speed from 15 to 75 km/h, switch between km/h and mph, codes to activate and deactivate, invisible bluetooth communication, record driven routes...

- Bosch Gen2 motors,
- Yamaha PW-X & PW-SE motors,
- Yamaha Syncdrive motors (Giant e bikes with RideControl EVO or CHARGE display).

Release date: feb/mar 2018

Smartphone display:

why dont you hack the bosch software so i could change all the motor settings like at the factory?

i mean someone must be able to do it buy now id buy the software if it was available as a digital download ;)

Jum42

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 21, 2017
Hannover
www.ebiketuning.com
It was done with the JUM-Ped at the Bosch Gen1 and BionX system, done with the EBikeBooster at Heinzmann motor, and done with eMax Software at Shimano STEPS E8000 motor (with or without Di2 system),... but not with other motors... It's not easy:

a) Every software tuning (see above) is a special stand-alone solution

b) The classic dongle or the Badass Box is a (relative simple) half the signal solution

c) Modules (like SpeedBox, PearTune, ASA, SpeedChip, BlackPed, BluePed, GreenPed, RedPed) work a little bit more different: sending half (or divided) signal to the motor and correct speed signal to the e bike display (in easy words)...

Please believe me: This someone would be very very welcome !

Last edited:

David Kilpatrick

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2016
Cumbernauld
ok, just waiting on delivery of my 2017 giant full e+2. i want to get a dongle that will display the correct speed. its a shame the blackped+ doesnt do this as it looks like it great. now at some point i would like to upgrade to the evo display. some dongles are saying they need a different version for the charge vs evo display but im not sure if that is pre 2017. also there seems to be specific giant dongles.
has anyone here got a 2017 giant with either the charge or evo display that can enlighten me on my options.

cheers
Hi I have 2016 Road e+2 love it. I have started this FB page not going great but would be interesting to hear how you’re getting on with it
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2070815033141609/

Advertisers