Desperate!

Cutec

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 7, 2017
Worthing
Hi I'm a new member.
Cannot decide between a riese and Muller Tinker, a Whyte Clifton (shimano steps) or a trek super commuter 8.
Really grateful if anyone has any views on these bikes.
I'm in my late 50's relatively fit and envision doing rides of 2-3 hours a couple of times a week.Ridden whyte and r and m and still can't decide. R and m probably the favourite but not sure how comfortable it would be on a 20" wheel bike?
Hope someone can help.

MRMAC9

Pedelecer
May 24, 2015
I'm 67 and have been thinking of getting a R&M Tinker. My problem is that the nearest stockist is 100 miles away. There are some good reviews of this bike on Youtube, but they are from a Canadian source.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Theres a Trek super commuter 8 for sale by a member in the classifieds

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The 20" balloon tyre bikes are surprising comfortable.

I have the AVE version of the Tinker - same compact frame design and tyres - and I've done 80+mile rides on it.

The bike is also handier at A gates and other restrictions, and fixing a puncture is easier because the 20" wheels are much easier to remove and handle than 700c or 650b.

Cutec

Sep 7, 2017
Worthing

I have the AVE version of the Tinker - same compact frame design and tyres - and I've done 80+mile rides on it.

The bike is also handier at A gates and other restrictions, and fixing a puncture is easier because the 20" wheels are much easier to remove and handle than 700c or 650b.

Cutec

Sep 7, 2017
Worthing
Thanks. Is your AVE a derailleur version.?
Can't decide whether it's too much on the maintenance/hassle side of things versus a belt drive nuvinci system?
Appreciate your views.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Derailer on mine.

Something to be said for a hub gear on a 20" bike because the derailer and chain can be quite close to the ground, picking up more dirt.

If you like the NuVinci, no reason not to have it.

I tried one and couldn't decide, although my ride was too short to form a firm opinion.

There are things for and against the belt.

Some extra drag added to the NuVinci drag could make the ride feel flat.

The belt doesn't like grit, so I wouldn't have one if I was doing a lot of rides on cinder tracks, even more so given the low line due to the smaller wheels.

Gates made the belt wider to prevent roll off, but that extra width created a bigger platform for small stones.

One of those mashed into the belt by the cogs and the belt is history.

The belt can also be a bit noisy when wet.

Service life is quoted by Gates as 'about twice the life of a chain', which is poor when the belt is 10 times as expensive, although I expect most owners get longer life than that.

Cutec

Sep 7, 2017
Worthing
Derailer on mine.

Something to be said for a hub gear on a 20" bike because the derailer and chain can be quite close to the ground, picking up more dirt.

If you like the NuVinci, no reason not to have it.

I tried one and couldn't decide, although my ride was too short to form a firm opinion.

There are things for and against the belt.

Some extra drag added to the NuVinci drag could make the ride feel flat.

The belt doesn't like grit, so I wouldn't have one if I was doing a lot of rides on cinder tracks, even more so given the low line due to the smaller wheels.

Gates made the belt wider to prevent roll off, but that extra width created a bigger platform for small stones.

One of those mashed into the belt by the cogs and the belt is history.

The belt can also be a bit noisy when wet.

Service life is quoted by Gates as 'about twice the life of a chain', which is poor when the belt is 10 times as expensive, although I expect most owners get longer life than that.
Great advice. Could I call u or vice versa as I have a couple of things I'd like to ask privately. 07956 279096

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I’ve ridden many thousands of miles on various Kalkhoff Sahel Compacts, similar bike to the Tinker. This included touring 50-75 mile days. The 20” wheels were no problem but I have to say I prefer larger wheels for longer journeys. After 5 years with the compacts I now switched to a 700c bike built using a light weight front hub conversion. Nothing wrong with 20” wheels but unless you need them, I’d go for larger wheels. R&M do a range of other bikes generally well regarded (at a price). I’ve not ridden the other bikes on your list but all good brands. I’ve been attracted to belt drives with hub gears but a little concerned about set-up problems and difficulty in adjustment if required. I’ve not found Shimano hub gears to be as maintenance free as you might imagine.

Cutec

Sep 7, 2017
Worthing
I’ve ridden many thousands of miles on various Kalkhoff Sahel Compacts, similar bike to the Tinker. This included touring 50-75 mile days. The 20” wheels were no problem but I have to say I prefer larger wheels for longer journeys. After 5 years with the compacts I now switched to a 700c bike built using a light weight front hub conversion. Nothing wrong with 20” wheels but unless you need them, I’d go for larger wheels. R&M do a range of other bikes generally well regarded (at a price). I’ve not ridden the other bikes on your list but all good brands. I’ve been attracted to belt drives with hub gears but a little concerned about set-up problems and difficulty in adjustment if required. I’ve not found Shimano hub gears to be as maintenance free as you might imagine.
Thanks. Thought about a sahel compact but was put off by the impulse motor and the problems they had. Were yours reliable? and do you find them stable at speed?

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Thanks. Thought about a sahel compact but was put off by the impulse motor and the problems they had. Were yours reliable? and do you find them stable at speed?
Rock solid at speed, bit sketchy on loose or soft surfaces (that was with Big Apple tyres). I topped 50mph on some downhill runs. Impulse motors are great when they work well. I’ve probably had approaching 50% failure rate all told from some quite high mileages. Not just the clanking but loss of power (prob torque sensor). Batteries have been largely trouble free and long lasting. I no longer have any. I think it’s only fair to say I’ve also experienced faults with many other motors (hub and crank) but I have more experience with Kalkhoff.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
PS if you like the 20” style I’ve always liked the look of the Winora Radius (I think that’s what it’s called).

Kendalian

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2016
Cumbria
Or the Orbea Katu-e. I have an e20 and think it is great. 20" wheels are no problem, comfortable and rock solid - though unlike Jonah i've only had mine to 36mph downhill in France!

Kendalian