Dillenger 1000 Watt, 48 Volt, 10Ah, Front wheel kit

Deus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2014
Dewsbury
Kinninvie,
looking at your picture of your bike it looks like you have the hole where the hub wire comes out facing up i think it should be facing down to avoid water ingress (i may be wrong as im still a noob with no ebike yet)
Mark

Reactions: Kinninvie

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Well spotted.
I put it facing up as I wanted to be sure I had enough cable to reach.
I am changing the tyres at the weekend and will be turning it round then .
Thats my excuse and I am sticking to it:oops:

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Just charged the battery and it took 5.5 hours from flat to full.
Thats a bit different from the claimed 3 hours.
Bought a pair of Dr Sludge self sealing inner tubes today to go with the puncture resistant tyreso_O
Belt and braces comes to mind.

Reactions: jackhandy

Sam458

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 29, 2014
Great advice, thanks. I'll be purchasing the same kit soon and will post photos of how I go. I'll be putting the kit on a hard tail just so I can use the rear rack struts.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Second and most important test this morning,a trip to the pub and back!
I put a new tube in this morning so both tyres are now 65psi.
The trip was 8,8 miles long (14.2K) and includes some pretty steep and long hills .
The total climb is 531 feet.
I did take my helmet cam but must have pressed the button twice as it was blank when I got home (Doh!!)..
I kept riding till the battery cut off again and got a total of 11.8 miles (19K) this time and again it took 38 minutes but at an average speed of 18.1 Mph (29.2Kph).
I used my gps this time(held in my left hand which made gear changing fun) and up to 24Mph it reads the same as the lcd but above that the lcd reported lower speeds than the gps and my maximum speed on the lcd was 33.1Mph (53.3Kph) but the gps reported 35.3 (56.8Kph).
Going under some trees at the bottom of a steep hill the gps went up to 46mph (74Kph) briefly but I think that was just a slight loss of signal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam458

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I forgot about that!
I saw it before but forgot about it.
My memory is not as good these days.
Thanks.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Today I decided to test the PAS with a ride to the Commercial Hotel in Barnard Castle.
For this test I left the PAS in full assistance(5 on the lcd).
I also used full throttle for 1 mile to help on some really steep bits and to give my unfit body a bit of a breather.
As you can see on the map the route out was longer than the return as I went the scenic route.
I got my helmet cam to work today but it was pointed 4 foot in front of the bike!!
Tomorrow I will try and get it pointed correctly.
The total trip was 9 miles and total climb was 492 feet but again I rode up and down the main road through the village until the battery cut out...
Total mileage today was 16.4 miles (26.4K).
Total running time 58 minutes
Top speed 30.8Mph (49.6Kph).
Average speed 17Mph (27.4Kph).

The PAS cuts in after half a pedal revolution which I find ok but at first I found it a bit strange that when I wanted to freewheel the motor cut out and the bike would immediately slow down(because the first section was mostly uphill).
I soon got used to it though and found that as long as the pedals were moving the motor would keep going even if no actual effort was going to the rear wheel.

I should point out here that I fitted the PAS yesterday and it took 40 seconds from start to finish!
I am so glad I got this Dillenger kit.

Kinninvie to Commercial Hotel and back.JPG

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
PAS sensor has stopped working yesterday

I shall contact Dillenger Uk customer service tomorrow and see how good there aftersales service is.
The wiring is ok and nothing has moved so thinking it may be in the controller.

D

Deleted member 4366

PAS sensor has stopped working yesterday

I shall contact Dillenger Uk customer service tomorrow and see how good there aftersales service is.
The wiring is ok and nothing has moved so thinking it may be in the controller.
Does the disc definitely go round when you pedal? Is the gap between sensor and disc 1mm?
PAS sensors are solid state, so nothing to go wrong really.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
The disc goes round with the crank and the sensor worked at gaps of up to 4mm although it is set at 1mm.
The problem is either in the sensor itself or the controller because there is a red led that is normally lit when the power is on but its not lighting any more.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Today I took off the Knobbly MTB tyres and fitted a pair of Kenda K west puncture resistant tyres along with a pair of slime filled tubes.
I have set them at 60psi and the ride is far more comfortable now.
It also seems to sit quite happily on the flat at 26.5Mph.
I have also sorted the lack of braking by fitting a pair of Clark Exo Skeletal hydraulic brakes.
I got around the front motor clearance by fitting 2 x 2.5mm Clark hub spacers and now there is 1mm clearance between caliper and motor..
The brakes work great and the back locks up easily enough and I reckon the front probably would if I was stupid enough to pull it that hard.
I will put the pics up later this evening.

Last edited:

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I have decided to leave it like that as it is a tidier job and I dont go out on it if there are rain clouds around around.
Below is this mornings ride.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Decided to have a (mainly) slow ride around the dale this morning to see what sort of mileage I could get out of the battery.
I had to use the throttle as the RPAS has not been sorted by Dillenger yet (it seems they can only handle one e-mail a day!).
I managed 16 miles in total which I am happy with considering its hilly country.
I am now considering getting a smaller second battery(maybe 6Ah to use as a reserve as this will allow me to get to the next town and back.
Check out the top speed which was going down a 14% hill,I could have gone a bit faster but there are traffic lights on a narrow bridge at the bottom.

James Farley

Aug 8, 2014
Hi Kinninvie.

Excellent reviews and testing! I've just bought an identical kit from Dillinger and am waiting for it to arrive. I'm rather annoyed with them though as they advertise same day dispatch and next day delivery but 3 days on, I'm no clearer as to when it will arrive.

Can you recall how long your's took to arrive?

Sorry to hijack your brilliant thread.

D

Deleted member 4366

I just want to make a point before everybody rushes out and buys this kit. OP's forks are steel with nice strong plates at the drop-outs, which are strong enough for this high torque motor.

If you have aluminium forks, a rear kit will be much safer. It scares me to death thinking about drop-outs popping at 30mph. I've seen drop-outs pop on alloy forks with double torque arms. The wheel jams and you go straight over the handlebars without any sort of warning.

James Farley

Aug 8, 2014
Apologies d8veh - mine is the rear wheel version of this kit (if it ever bloody arrrives!) :|