Disaster

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
well it's the bank holiday and guess what the weather is crap, so I pick my day for a ride out and that was yesterday Sunday 1st April.
Jump on bike at about 1pm and off I go, about 1 mile off road then I hit the woods and 6 miles in I get a puncture, no problems I got a spare tube and a multi tool, now this is where the fun starts, do you think I can break the tyre away from the rim, no chance of that so it was a long push home, my last puncture was 1500 miles ago.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Ah, the old tubeless ready rims with inner tubes problem.

Same on my Charger.

After wrestling with the front tyre once too often I went tubeless.

Before that, I found the best way to break the bead was to use the end of a wooden hammer handle.

I carry a six inch length (ooo er missus) for the purpose.

Bearing down on that concentrated the pressure enough to do the job.

The rim does need to be on a hard surface, grass is a waste of time because give in the ground absorbs the pressure.

Finding a hard surface might not be so easy in some trail environments, but I reckon using a hammer handle you could pop the bead with the wheel propped up against a tree.

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Had a bike exactly the same…. Could not shift the tyre off the bead.

I now practice at home with all my bikes before I go anywhere…no good to you now though.

I did find this when all else failed… worth watching, came in handy with me once.

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
Had a bike exactly the same…. Could not shift the tyre off the bead.

I now practice at home with all my bikes before I go anywhere…no good to you now though.

I did find this when all else failed… worth watching, came in handy with me once.

Thanks for that I will give that a try next time

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
go tubeless and be done with it ;)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Got some stans on order, going to try it in the tubes first and if then that don't work will go tubless.
Waste of time and money with tubes, they are too stretchy and thin for it to work.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
get 2 valves and some rim tape it is less hassle when you get the hang off it ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Reactions: BillyBoy88

Related Articles

Advertisers