Disc Brakes and In-hub Gears

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Why are there so very few ebikes with in-hub gears that also have disc brakes?

Looking at model after model, you can often see the derailleur version has disc brakes, but the in-hub gear version doesn't. There are, for example, Nexus gears which are suited to disc brakes. Am I just a bit impatient? Will the next crop of new models have disc brakes?

It's bloomin' frustrating! Having praised the disc brakes on my Giant, how could I possibly suggest an ebike without them to my partner? :)

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Hi
I wanted to use hub gears and a bbs01 mid drive and ended up having to self build to get what I wanted. my charge 29er has been great the alfine 8 is perfect with 18 teeth on the back and a 52 chain ring on the front the only thing is a spring loaded chain tensioner is required.[it is the shinny one in my pics]
I have a new project in the garage a cube with a nexus and gate's belt drive
the tape measure suggests this could be a tough build.

Most mid priced off the rack bikes use a derailleur probably due to cost and almost any lbs can service the gears, there are hub gear bikes with discs out there and more on the way
I cannot wait to see a nuvinchi 380 hub with electric change might even be tempted to buy a ready built bike then If the price does not choke me

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Hi
I wanted to use hub gears and a bbs01 mid drive and ended up having to self build to get what I wanted. my charge 29er has been great the alfine 8 is perfect with 18 teeth on the back and a 52 chain ring on the front the only thing is a spring loaded chain tensioner is required.[it is the shinny one in my pics]
I have a new project in the garage a cube with a nexus and gate's belt drive
the tape measure suggests this could be a tough build.

Most mid priced off the rack bikes use a derailleur probably due to cost and almost any lbs can service the gears, there are hub gear bikes with discs out there and more on the way
I cannot wait to see a nuvinchi 380 hub with electric change might even be tempted to buy a ready built bike then If the price does not choke me
I can certainly understand derailleur being less expensive than in-hub gears. But having shelled out the extra, what?, £150 for that, the increment for disc brakes should be quite small. The Raleigh Motus Grand Tour 2018 is one example that does combine them.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The nexus 8 which is the most common IGH didn't have a disk mount until very recently. People being strange they don't get the idea you can have a hydraulic disk on the front and a mechanical rim brake on the rear. If you look even more carefully ;) you will see the German bikes with the nexus 8 often have Magura HS11 or better hydraulic rim brakes. Having destroyed a front rim with the HS11 recently I can confirm they have great stopping power!

• Agree

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Why are there so very few ebikes with in-hub gears that also have disc brakes?

Looking at model after model, you can often see the derailleur version has disc brakes, but the in-hub gear version doesn't. There are, for example, Nexus gears which are suited to disc brakes. Am I just a bit impatient? Will the next crop of new models have disc brakes?

It's bloomin' frustrating! Having praised the disc brakes on my Giant, how could I possibly suggest an ebike without them to my partner? :)
Don't overlook the Magura HSxx rim brakes , they are very good, definitely match for 160mm discs. Maintenance is lower than discs, I'm regularly sortout sticky pistons on disc brakes.

SteveB1262

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Can anyone please help my identify which brake pads my late model Raleigh Motus uses? It states the hydraulic disc brakes are Shimano M200 but the only reference I can find to those model brakes is in the Motus specs. I can find no reference to the brakes themselves or the pads they use anywhere but within those specs. Is it a case of removing a pad and trying to match it or is there some compatibility with other models? Cheers.

SteveB1262

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Thanks for that. I thought the M200 might have been a simple misprint as ALL the dealers use exactly the same specs, letter for letter, like it's been cut and pasted. I thought it strange that their was absolutely no reference to them even on Shimanos website. I'll pop one out and compare to the ones you have suggested. I just do not like not having spare blocks or pads if I'm going anywhere other than local. Thanks for the prompt reply.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
B01S resin are the Shimano pad designation or plenty of copies on ebay, I buy cheap job lot from China for about £1.50 a pair (no issue with braking quality or performance ).