DIY stage 1: received Bafang + Tongxin kits [photos]

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
are you expecting any problems using the same controller on both motors?
Each motor comes with its own controller: same hardware, but different software settings.

cirrus18

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Cornwall. UK
Bank charges

Hi Daniel,

I have been to my bank today to send off €230 to Frank, payment for a kit. Much to my annoyance they want to charge me £25 for the privilege. This is a bit of a rip-off.
I wondered if you had found a cheaper way to transfer money to Germany? Frank seems to think that you may have done.
I would appreciate you letting me know if you have. Thank you.

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
Hi Daniel,

I have been to my bank today to send off €230 to Frank, payment for a kit. Much to my annoyance they want to charge me £25 for the privilege. This is a bit of a rip-off.
I wondered if you had found a cheaper way to transfer money to Germany? Frank seems to think that you may have done.
AFAIK the EU forbids the banks to charge larger fees for transfers between EU countries than for transfers within one country.

But with so many Brits against EU membership maybe you're exempt.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Sorry to hear about banks taking the pizz again. I paid 3.4 Euros for the transfer. Cheers, Dan

RobinC

Pedelecer
Jan 6, 2009
Bristol
Last year I used auctionchex for something I bought from a German ebay site.
Looking back I paid about £45 for a Euros transfer worth about £38. Maybe there are cheaper options but it was cheaper than what my bank would have charged.

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
Does anyone happen know the torque produced by this Bafang? On another thread I think I saw a data sheet giving figures around 10 NM, but that can't be right given that a Tongxin produces 20 NM.

From the pictures I must agree with Andrew Harvey's comment about the impressive attention to detail on the outside. Presumably the engineering effort devoted to the motor itself must have resulted in a pretty impressive performance too.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I pay in Euros for some VOIP telephone circuits and minutes and work and we use paypal... not sure how much charge paypal takes though for the currency conversions at the other end..

Last edited:

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
Yep, that's the puzzle. The range 6 - 13.2 NM does not seem very much for a motor that's bigger and heavier than the Tongxin, which is quoted on their website and elsewhere as 20 NM.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yep, that's the puzzle. The range 6 - 13.2 NM does not seem very much for a motor that's bigger and heavier than the Tongxin, which is quoted on their website and elsewhere as 20 NM.
Despite that the Bafang comprehensively outclasses the Tongxin in climbing as witness the hill busting eZee Quando, the clear champion among legal e-bikes for motor only climbing.

Some peoples Newton/metres are larger than others it seems. ;)

Suzhou Bafang's performance figures have always been conservative and reliable, something that cannot be said for many others who make ludicrous claims like 95% efficiency etc.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
I see you are saying €3.4, so does that mean you don't live in the United Kingdom Daniel? If you do, please let us into the secret of paying so little.
I'm based in Sussex, but I have a bank account in a European country :) (it's nearly empty but is useful for occasional small Euro purchases)

cirrus18

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Cornwall. UK
Hi Daniel,

After speaking to Frank (great guy) he has resolved the problem and I now won't have to pay exorbitant British bank charges.
He trusts me enough to pay him when he gets his China business up and running and his PayPal account working. What other firm would do that I ask you. So if anyone out there wants to deal with an honest and trustworthy guy I can't recommend him enough. His command of English is excellent so you won't have any problems in communicating with him.

I'm now looking forward to the kit arriving and getting on with building my powered trailer project.

He said he will be able to source many other motors and things once he is in China, so it all sounds very interesting. He reckons the best way to go is not with hub motors but with motors driving the pedal crank direct. He's got a couple of manufacturers lined up to visit when he gets there. Using the normal bikes gears, hillclimbing and top end speed compromises are resolved.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Well now I have been able to try a Tongxin in my Cytronex I have to say I am very impressed with the motor. When its running its silent.

The freewheel is almost silent though strangely makes more noise than when its on :confused:

Its not loud I would say just sounds the same as when the break blocks are slightly rubbing the rim of the wheel.

Overall I prefer it to the Bafang in this application though the Bafang does have more torque and of course will easily accelerate from a standing start. I have the older Bafang in my Alien kit so it will be interesting to see how Daniel's new fun compares.

We will be expecting youtube videos of both motors in operation Daniel. No pressure there then :p

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Great to hear about the Tongxin application in the Cytronex. I can't wait to get my e-bike projects rolling !

I will publish photos of my wheel build and fork widening (the main technical hurdles), followed of course by some video of the running gear ! :)

I'm in waiting mode now, .... the parts are being shipped across continents.

:)

Well now I have been able to try a Tongxin in my Cytronex I have to I am very impressed with the motor. When its running is silent.

The freewheel is almost silent though strangely makes more noise than when its on :confused:

Its not loud I would say just sounds the same as when the break blocks are slightly rubbing the rim of the wheel.

Overall I prefer it to the Bafang in this application though the Bafang does have more torque and of course will easily accelerate from a standing start. I have the older Bafang in my Alien kit so it will be interesting to see how Daniel's new fun compares.

We will be expecting youtube videos of both motors in operation Daniel. No pressure there then :p

Regards

Jerry

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
Hi Jerry

Yep, we will be waiting to see the outcome of Dan's projects!

But don't forget yours. How does the hill-climbing of your two bikes compare, for example?

The new Alien Bafang looks different from Dan's, though that of course may be cosmetic.

Andy

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
The latest Bafang with the cable side/offset entry (as opposed to spindle entry) is built differently, so it is not just cosmetic. I'd like to hear about the difference in hill-climbing ability too ! :)

Hi Jerry

Yep, we will be waiting to see the outcome of Dan's projects!

But don't forget yours. How does the hill-climbing of your two bikes compare, for example?

The new Alien Bafang looks different from Dan's, though that of course may be cosmetic.

Andy

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Well not really any big hills in Cambridge.

The Bafang is clearly more powerfull as I can pretty much power up the few small inclines with throttle only at 15mph. I haven't actaully fully deristricted it so perhaps I should see how much more speed I can get. I am guessing about 17mph +.

With the Tongxin I can go up small inclines easily at 15mph but need to pedal a little. However I just love the subtleness of the Tongxin. It quiet, small and for my purposes of a 10 mile return commute on pretty flat ground its perfect. On the flat today I did put it on the high power and was able to cruise at 15mph without pedaling.

The Bafang makes a much louder "whir" noise both when its on and off. Gets louder when its off the faster you go. Maybe I am just vain (ok well I know I am) but I like the idea of riding an assisted bike that others don't know is assisted.

If I had a longer and hillier commute and was in my current state of fitness, I would almost certainly use the Bafang and of course the larger, longer lasting battery included in the Alien kit.

Regards

Jerry

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009