Do I need Full Sus on an electric fat bike?

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
I know this is an age old question, but thought I ask again as I'm new to this. I have found so helpful comments throughout the forum, but not too much on Fat Bikes.

I had a test ride on a Haibike Full fatsix today (going cheap in a sale) and loved it. My only problem was it had full suspension and felt a bit bouncy on the normal roads (even when on max restriction).

I was originally looking for a hardtail, and I felt the tyres would give enough cushion, and I could always add a suspension seat post if needed.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Most of my off road riding will be country trails, woodland paths and fields I expect. Not too much tight or rocky downhill rough stuff I doubt. I do want to do as much in the snow as I can, but this is the UK after all.

Just comments on the suspension please, I've had plenty of chat already on pros and cons of fat bikes vs plus, Mid vs hub drive and the different motors.

Cheers

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you can afford full sus then go for that as that is the one part you cant add to the bike you had a go on might not have had the right psi in it for ur waight tho you can add more with a shock pump to make it stiffer for the road max psi in the rear is 300psi fox.

with the haibike the sprockets will be expensive to replace when worn as there off set and around 90 quid and also the tyres tho you can get some deals on ebay.

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
The guy in the store did say upping the rear tyre pressure or the shock pressure would help. The 2017 bike has a full lock, but this was 2016.

I'm kinda prepared for the extra tyre costs being fat and wearing quicker on the road. Initial purchase won't be any more expensive (bike is reduced from £3500 down to £2600).

I guess at that price trying it for a while and then just selling if I don't like it would be too bad, as hopefully wouldn't lose much.

Cheers for the comments. Helpful as always.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I've only got full suss due to back issues and getting a little older, other than this for the kind of riding i do i.e. xc / trail its not really necessary adding weight and more maintenance. However, you could say the same about fat bikes as i'm no fan. Imho they are very noisy on tarmac but do you really need a fat bike in UK, unless your doing a lot of beach riding or lIving in the highlands and get a lot of snow.
i think its personal choice.

• Useful
Reactions: Graham B

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
That's a very good point that hadn't occurred to me. The discount on this bike is a lot more than just buying and fitting a fully locking shock.

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
I've only got full suss due to back issues and getting a little older, other than this for the kind of riding i do i.e. xc / trail its not really necessary adding weight and more maintenance. However, you could say the same about fat bikes as i'm no fan. Imho they are very noisy on tarmac but do you really need a fat bike in UK, unless your doing a lot of beach riding or lIving in the highlands and get a lot of snow.
i think its personal choice.
My reason for getting the ebike is age and mobility, but I must confess my inner child just can't get past those tyres. A lot of this probably is just from me wanting to ride around on something that looks like it came from Mad Max. :) The noise doesn't worry me, but the extra maintenance and cost does.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no shock will fully lock out like it is not there but i think the bike you had a go on was just not setup right for you.

you can also change the size of the air cans on some shocks but i doubt you will need to do this if it was set up right in the first place.

top end rear sus and forks for say a dh bike will set you back 2k just for those parts on there own.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Graham, it's only a bargain if you really like the bike and feel comfortable on it. If you have doubt's now, i'd think twice before purchase or you will regret it.

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
I'm glad you know what you're talking about. The only tweaking in the shop before my ride was swapping out the seat post and tyre pressure.

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
Cheers Steve. The bike felt much better than the others I'd ridden so I'm happy with that. My only decision is whether this full sus version is worth the extra running costs compared to the HT.

I guess its probably one of those things I unfortunately won't know until I committed to it and ridden it for a few months.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
soundwave is right, none of the new shocks i know of will fully lock out. i think the tyres and full-suss will make the bike more bouncy, than say a std 650b hard tail. They are chalk and cheese.
I've already had to do maintenance work on my rear suspension to replace bushes.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • :D

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
Forest of dean in only about 1½ from me so yes I can. I tried a couple of Levo's already, although just round the park and not on the trails.

Nice bikes

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
thats the point its no good riding round a car park on any of them if you never had one b4.

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
I did actually mean a real park not car park, but I take your point. Up and down the grassy hill and steps isn't quite the same as proper trails.

Some nice rides by the look of it. Not sure about the tight tricky stuff for me for a while though.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I've not had a ride on a FS ebike, just hardtails. I had a go on my daughters FS MTB, didn't like it. Too much wasted energy on the bounce. But the energy lost was mine, not electrical power.

FS or HT e-MTB, they'll both do 15.5mph. You can still enjoy the ride and go at the same speed. Right? So, for me, with yours being such a good deal on price, I'd have no regrets in buying it. I'd try and set it up right, like SW said.

Does the bounce waste propulsion?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Steve A

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
Cheers Leigh. You're right if it wasn't an ebike I wouldn't view it the same. I would like to try and hire one for a day if i can.

• Agree

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
It is a tough one to answer.

I know three lads that have pedal only fat bikes, one has an FS , one a hardtail with front suspension, and one with no suspension at all.
The lad with no front suspension has recently converted his bike to have front suspension, but neither hardtail riders desire an FS fat bike. All three ride the same demanding terrain, and all three are super fit riders that get out four or five times a week.

My take on it is that you don't require an FS bike, but SW is kind of also correct as well. Your riding requirements might develop and change, and that FS bike might suddenly seem more desirable.

Not the same thing, but I can't get enough of riding my hardtail, and haven't been out on the FS for quite sometime now. In fairness though, now that the ground is so frozen, I am starting to feel it the next day through my arthritic finger joints, and really should fit the foam grips that I have been given to try.
As well as the enjoyment and fun that I am getting from the hardtail, there are two other reasons for not using the FS. Firstly the extra maintenance required, and also the fact that I am fed up of having to continually wash and clean two bikes.

To throw another bike type into the equation, have you looked at plus size bikes? I have never ridden either a fat bike or plus size, so beyond the above, can't sadly pass comment on either.

Last edited: