Do the cops care about illegal eBikes?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They say they aren't indemnifying the purchaser in any way though, so it's for the buyer to either use it privately or take risks.

As ever it's not illegal to sell vehicles that can't be used on public roads.

D

Deleted member 4366

It seems very strange. If it were being used illegally, you'd think they'd send it to the crusher. I wonder what it was evidence of? Stolen maybe?

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
They say they aren't indemnifying the purchaser in any way though, so it's for the buyer to either use it privately or take risks.

As ever it's not illegal to sell vehicles that can't be used on public roads.
True, but if they are not being explicit about any of that.

I recently built a bike for a local (reasonably high ranking) police officer. He asked me for 1000w, and I explained the legality issues. He's wasn't bothered in the slightest.

In the end I talked him down to derestricted, shunt modded 250w.

He uses it for precisely two purposes:
Going to work, and going on pub crawls with me.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
It seems very strange. If it were being used illegally, you'd think they'd send it to the crusher. I wonder what it was evidence of? Stolen maybe?
It will have been stolen/recovered or seized from drug dealers or muggers. Probably came from Plymouth.

Renax

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Norway
Going to work, and going on pub crawls with me.
Is it legal to ride a bike while drunk in UK? here in Norway a bike i classified as a vehicle and you're subject to the same law on drunk driving as with a car or motorbike. The cops usually don't care as riding a bike is in many cases the best alternative while drinking, (well, better than driving a motor vehicle) But if you **** off the wrong cop he can fine you and take your driving license for it (if you have one)

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Is it legal to ride a bike while drunk in UK? here in Norway a bike i classified as a vehicle and you're subject to the same law on drunk driving as with a car or motorbike. The cops usually don't care as riding a bike is in many cases the best alternative while drinking, (well, better than driving a motor vehicle) But if you **** off the wrong cop he can fine you and take your driving license for it (if you have one)
I believe it's the same situation here. Technically an offence, but practically never prosecuted.

In theory, if caught over the limit on an illegal ebike (a motor vehicle) you could be in a lot of trouble.

As a supplier of quality illegal vehicles to the local constabulary I assume I enjoy an untouchable position. [emoji1]

D

Deleted member 4366

To be prosecuted, you have to be totally, obviously drunk. They can't breathalyse you.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Seems like a good thing, then you can have a couple beers and ride home to save a cabfare, If you are totally obviously drunk you shouldn't be riding a bike for your own safety.
I know... :oops: But I'm almost sober by the time I get home :)

Reactions: Alan Quay

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
There is actually a moral dimension to this. I could ride an EAPC so removed from legal description that it would effectively be an unregistered motor vehicle but I don't. That doesn't make a me saint; it simply means I have respect for the law.

Tom

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Probably not. If you've watched any of SW's videos, he's usually seen whizzing past the fuzz at 50mph :eek:
The police ignore a very large range of offences, they mainly concern themselves with a narrow range of matters that the government deems suitable to pursue.

This police attitude has become indoctrinated now.

For example, in my London Borough the council is proposing widespread 20 mph limiting on all but main through roads, consulting the public district by district on this.

But the Metropolitan police have said they will not police it. Note they have not said they cannot for manpower shortage or other reasons, they say they will not even attempt to as a matter of policy.

The council's own traffic and parking control department won't, they gave up on most parking control long ago, even when asked to act with photos and examples they don't. For example, see the photo below I took minutes ago. Parked wholly across the pavement, on double yellow lines and blocking an entrance, it's been there for at least a day. If I emailed that to parking control complete with number plate and location they won't do anything.

So what's the use of laws and regulations? None at all.

Perhaps we should follow the example of the town of Cheran in Mexico. The population have taken it over, kicked out the corrupt and lazy officials and criminals, driven out the mayor and now run things themselves.

There's a radio program about that on the i-player that you can listen to, here's the link.

Parking.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Fordulike

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
There is actually a moral dimension to this. I could ride an EAPC so removed from legal description that it would effectively be an unregistered motor vehicle but I don't. That doesn't make a me saint; it simply means I have respect for the law.

Tom
I see where you are coming from Tom, but moralistic behavior is quickly disappearing from our culture. I believe a change in the way we teach our children at home and in schools, has had a big effect on this.

Remember the days when every schoolkid would cack their pants if confronted by the local bobby, then given a clip round the ear if any wrongdoing was suspected. That instilled a respect, and slight fear, of the law, which would make most people question the morality of what they are doing throughout their life.

I'm not going to explain what it is like nowadays, as we have all seen examples of the lack of respect we have for the law, as well as our fellow humans.

I was watching a few videos on YouTube, where the posters thought it was big and clever, to video themselves whilst quoting the law to a police officer. The general theme was to keep saying " you are a public servant ", as though they had some superiority over the officer.

Of course police officers are not always right, and they are only trying to do a most difficult and diverse job, but if society continues to show lack of respect in this way, then who knows what this country will be like in a few decades time.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I believe a change in the way we teach our children at home and in schools, has had a big effect on this.
And as part of the teaching, disciplining. We used to be corrected at every age, including smacking etc when necessary, but now it seems children are untouchable since they have "rights".

It never seems to occur to the politically correct brigade that rights without responsibilities is permission for any behaviour, no matter how harmful.

The sad thing is that this modern way eventually hurts far more than the older ways. A hard smack with lesson learnt at five years old hurts far less than a prison sentence at an older age.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
And as part of the teaching, disciplining. We used to be corrected at every age, including smacking etc when necessary, but now it seems children are untouchable since they have "rights".

It never seems to occur to the politically correct brigade that rights without responsibilities is permission for any behaviour, no matter how harmful.

The sad thing is that this modern way eventually hurts far more than the older ways. A hard smack with lesson learnt at five years old hurts far less than a prison sentence at an older age.
Playing devils advocate for a moment...

Is there anyone else you would be happy to hit as a matter of course because they wont do as you want? Your wife or partner? An employee? A stranger you pass on the street? A prisoner maybe?

I received my fair share of smacks growing up and have always thought of it as acceptable practice. That is until I applied logic to the thought process and realised that assaulting another human in the name of 'discipline' is just not acceptable, whoever they are. Moreso for a minor.

• Agree

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Playing devils advocate for a moment...

Is there anyone else you would be happy to hit as a matter of course because they wont do as you want? Your wife or partner? An employee? A stranger you pass on the street? A prisoner maybe?

I received my fair share of smacks growing up and have always thought of it as acceptable practice. That is until I applied logic to the thought process and realised that assaulting another human in the name of 'discipline' is just not acceptable, whoever they are. Moreso for a minor.
Yep, I'm with you there. I don't hit my son, I don't plan to and I would react very badly if someone else did.

Simply not necessary if children are brought up correctly.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I also received plenty of physical discipline at early ages, including hands caned witn a ruler from 5 years old and the cane from about 8 years old, so I appreciate what's behind the logic you express, even though it has no factual basis.

But I believe your concluding sentence is completely wrong, physical discipline is all the more important for minors. The psychology is well understood, the younger we are the more important our sense of self over others. Indeed up to three years old, there is no sense of "other", so appeals on behalf of others interests can have no effect.

That's why all higher order animals physically discipline their young at their very young ages, simply because they don't have the "other" learning capacity they gain later.

As much as we resent the physical discipline when very young, it does work as the crime and prison statistics of half a century ago and now show only too clearly.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yep, I'm with you there. I don't hit my son, I don't plan to and I would react very badly if someone else did.

Simply not necessary if children are brought up correctly.
"If" being the key word.

I too hate the idea of hitting any child, or anyone for that matter, but I don't ignore the evidence either.