Do these luggage bags tend to move around when you ride on rough ground?

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
I liked the look of that one because it doesn't stick up above the saddle like other similar ones. But on closer inspection I think they've left it unfastened for the photo, so it'll probably still be an annoying, high leg over job. Might have to settle for this titchy one then.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
I liked the look of that one because it doesn't stick up above the saddle like other similar ones. But on closer inspection I think they've left it unfastened for the photo, so it'll probably still be an annoying, high leg over job. Might have to settle for this titchy one then.

I don't get this gravel bike malarkey?
It's just another money making fad aimed at the hipster bearded trouser half -hoisted brigade,with more money than sense. Gravel bikes look like cyclo cross bikes, which I see the point of.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I don't get this gravel bike malarkey?
It's just another money making fad aimed at the hipster bearded trouser half -hoisted brigade,with more money than sense. Gravel bikes look like cyclo cross bikes, which I see the point of.
Gravel bikes have certainly become very 'trendy' at the moment, however the general thinking behind that type of design makes it extremely versatile, and arguably the best choice for many people if you want to do lots of different things but only want to own one bike.
And there are subtle but important differences that differentiate a true cyclocross bike from a typical gravel bike. Lots of info out there on the net at the moment. Especially as its now trendy ......

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Gravel bikes going off thread... a new thread was opened up. Anyway were not all bikes gravel bikes back in the day... ?your old 26 ×13/8 wheels had to handle gravel and muck and leaves and tram tracks as well as tarmac and cement.

.. long before bmx or fat bikes were a gleam in the marketeers eye.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

I got one of the halfords blue and black ones. It has clips to hold it it in place both to a carrier on top and to a stay below. It is fine.. waterproof will carry about 6 litres of plastic milk contrainers

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have been looking in to them as well so that I don't have to put a rack and pannier on a potential new buy, I suspect the longer one must have some sway.

This one is more expensive and has a better pic and the end strap (pulled taut on each side) attach's back at the seat post so assume this prevents movement.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Bags-Tough-Series-Bike-Cycling-Large-Saddle-Seat-Bag-6-Litre/122993390407?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

For a drop bar bike with a clean cockpit area and tidily routed cables I have also been looking at a front bag as well, something like these.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Motorbike-LEATHER-Toll-Roll-Saddle-Bags-Storage-For-Harley-Davidson/152952183630?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tourbon-Bike-Handlebar-Pouch-Frame-Bag-Case-Phone-Map-Touchscreen-Holder-Cycling/253566750041?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

It appears that motor cycle accessories are much cheaper then bicycle stuff in some cases.

Last edited:

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
I have been looking in to them as well so that I don't have to put a rack and pannier on a potential new buy, I suspect the longer one must have some sway.

This one is more expensive and has a better pic and the end strap (pulled taut on each side) attach's back at the seat post so assume this prevents movement.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Bags-Tough-Series-Bike-Cycling-Large-Saddle-Seat-Bag-6-Litre/122993390407?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

For a drop bar bike with a clean cockpit area and tidily routed cables I have also been looking at a front bag as well, something like these.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Motorbike-LEATHER-Toll-Roll-Saddle-Bags-Storage-For-Harley-Davidson/152952183630?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tourbon-Bike-Handlebar-Pouch-Frame-Bag-Case-Phone-Map-Touchscreen-Holder-Cycling/253566750041?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

It appears that motor cycle accessories are much cheaper then bicycle stuff in some cases.
I decided that the bigger saddle bags, while good for bikepacking, aren't so good for normal biking. Having things in several smaller bags (preferably with extra pockets) will be handier than throwing everything into one deep bag where things get lost beneath other things.
So I bought this:

...and put my tool case where the water bottle would go. But I have to say that in practice, getting things out of and back into a well-stuffed smaller bag is also awkward, just a different type of awkward.

And I might add something like this because I need somewhere to put a camera:

Can't be at the front of the bar because of the cables. Having a weird frame like the Woosh Zephyr B's means you have to get creative with luggage.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
One thing that is worth keeping an eye on with any of these bags, is that on the cheaper bags, the zips can often work there way loose. I've had a few in the past, and usually there is a way to add an additional fastener, even if it just a safety pin or key ring.

Sadly I speak from bitter experience of loosing two tool kits. :(

I've also noticed that even on my CamelBak Mule, hydration rucksack, that after several years of use, that two of the zips are now starting to do the same.

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
One thing that is worth keeping an eye on with any of these bags, is that on the cheaper bags, the zips can often work there way loose. I've had a few in the past, and usually there is a way to add an additional fastener, even if it just a safety pin or key ring.

Sadly I speak from bitter experience of loosing two tool kits. :(
I presume that's just the horizontal ones. The zip pulls can't work upwards against gravity can they?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I presume that's just the horizontal ones. The zip pulls can't work upwards against gravity can they?
Sadly yes they can. It happened twice on two different Crivit saddle mounted bags. I guess that cheap zip design and vibration from off road use, made them come open.

I also found that the zip on a cheapo top tube mounted bag also used to work it's way undone.

Advertisers