Does anyone else have an Orbea Gain Carbon on order?

ChrisBike

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2018
I ordered an M20 (Ultegra build) on July 30th. I chose the black/grey because it had the swiftest delivery date (3-7 Sept). That date is still shown on the ''My Orders' page, but I know Aluminium framed models have had long delays. I'm trying to manage my own expectations by asking what others have experienced with orders for the carbon version.

Marko39

Just Joined
Jul 7, 2018
I've got a M30 (105 build) on order, Expected date when ordered was early December, but just checked website & has been brought forward a couple of weeks. Shop said expect it to be late rather than early though.

ChrisBike

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2018
I think the shops are used to dates for the 2918 models slipping back (they certainly have). Suspect Orbea are prioritising the new models. Friends in the trade tell me there a shortage of 105 groupset (105 would have been my choice if the dates were the same). But if it's come forward on the website, that's encouraging. Fingers crossed for both of us!

Marko39

Just Joined
Jul 7, 2018
When I placed my order, I ordered at my l.b.s. they said Orbea had put restrictions on the number of bikes available for pre order to ensure they can keep up with expected delivery dates. I ordered the blue & white. I tried a 2018 demonstrator and was very impressed. I compared a short route I had previously ridden in a conventional road bike, heat rate was 159 on conventional, 120 on Gain, and it was completed 3 minutes faster.

ChrisBike

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2018
When I placed my order, I ordered at my l.b.s. they said Orbea had put restrictions on the number of bikes available for pre order to ensure they can keep up with expected delivery dates. I ordered the blue & white. I tried a 2018 demonstrator and was very impressed. I compared a short route I had previously ridden in a conventional road bike, heat rate was 159 on conventional, 120 on Gain, and it was completed 3 minutes faster.
Impressive!

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I ordered an M20 (Ultegra build) on July 30th. I chose the black/grey because it had the swiftest delivery date (3-7 Sept). That date is still shown on the ''My Orders' page, but I know Aluminium framed models have had long delays. I'm trying to manage my own expectations by asking what others have experienced with orders for the carbon version.
I have read about fairly long delays on the Aluminium framed machines but these were all from a few months ago. I don't remember reading anything about the carbon frames. Hopefully Orbea have now got their act together and not mess people around by promising customers a delivery date and then continually pushing it further and further into the future.

I wonder if they were caught out with how successful the bikes have been, maybe they didn't expect the bike to be as popular as it obviously is. I don't think I have read any negative reports from people who have bought one.

Reactions: ChrisBike

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I tried a 2018 demonstrator and was very impressed. I compared a short route I had previously ridden in a conventional road bike, heat rate was 159 on conventional, 120 on Gain, and it was completed 3 minutes faster.
That's a nice improvement. Would I be correct in assuming it was a fairly hilly route? On a flat course I wouldn't have thought you would see much if any improvement.

ChrisBike

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2018
I have read about fairly long delays on the Aluminium framed machines but these were all from a few months ago. I don't remember reading anything about the carbon frames. Hopefully Orbea have now got their act together and not mess people around by promising customers a delivery date and then continually pushing it further and further into the future.

I wonder if they were caught out with how successful the bikes have been, maybe they didn't expect the bike to be as popular as it obviously is. I don't think I have read any negative reports from people who have bought one.
I'm hoping you're right Nev. I posted this in the hope I would find someone who had already had one delivered, but I'm the earliest hope at Sept 3 so far

Marko39

Just Joined
Jul 7, 2018
That's a nice improvement. Would I be correct in assuming it was a fairly hilly route? On a flat course I wouldn't have thought you would see much if any improvement.
Yes I took the demonstrator on a route with plenty of climbs. As you said no difference on the flat as the 15 mph was easily surpassed, I didn't notice any drag once the motor had stopped, felt just like a 'normal' bike.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

ChrisBike

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2018
After a few messages to the Orbea on-line shop, I'm assured my M20 19 will be available for me to collect next week (just 1week late) - we'll see..... My advice to anyone else nagging them is to send them all messages through the on-line portal. Replies to their emails don't always get a response!

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
After a few messages to the Orbea on-line shop, I'm assured my M20 19 will be available for me to collect next week (just 1week late) - we'll see..... My advice to anyone else nagging them is to send them all messages through the on-line portal. Replies to their emails don't always get a response!
Have you had the bike yet Chris, if so what do you think of it? I am seriously thinking of getting an E-road bike next spring. I like the Orbea models but would prefer to have the option of dropping out the battery and motor if I was doing a fairly flat surface ride.

Cube have three road bikes with the Fazua motor which can easily be removed from the bike. I already have a Cube E-mountain bike and really rate them.

The top of the range is too expensive for me, but the other two I am hoping to test ride and see what I think. Wisper are also bringing out some new road bikes at the start of next year with that same motor and they really look terrific. One of my local LBS deals with Wisper and I hope will get some in so I can have a test ride, before making a decision.

I am also probably going to test ride the Orbea, the delay between placing ones order and getting the bike is a bit off putting though. I wouldn't want to place my order next spring and not get the bike until the Autumn.

ChrisBike

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2018
Have you had the bike yet Chris, if so what do you think of it? I am seriously thinking of getting an E-road bike next spring. I like the Orbea models but would prefer to have the option of dropping out the battery and motor if I was doing a fairly flat surface ride.

Cube have three road bikes with the Fazua motor which can easily be removed from the bike. I already have a Cube E-mountain bike and really rate them.

The top of the range is too expensive for me, but the other two I am hoping to test ride and see what I think. Wisper are also bringing out some new road bikes at the start of next year with that same motor and they really look terrific. One of my local LBS deals with Wisper and I hope will get some in so I can have a test ride, before making a decision.

I am also probably going to test ride the Orbea, the delay between placing ones order and getting the bike is a bit off putting though. I wouldn't want to place my order next spring and not get the bike until the Autumn.
Hi Nev,
Orbea are now saying it'll be dispatched this week. Oddly, on their website, my choice of size colour says it is available immediately! I wonder if my delay is due to specifying 172.5 cranks?
I'm going to ask my lbs to get on to Orbea to see what answer they get.
Here's hoping.
Chris

ChrisBike

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2018
My Orbea Gain M20 19 left the factory yesterday and is on its way to my lbs. 2 weeks delay from original delivery estimate, but the Orbea website shows them as available for immediate delivery in some colour/size options now.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Thanks for the update Chris, 2 week delay not too bad really compared to what some people have had. I think they were possibly caught out with the initial demand for the bike, although I think I have read it was lack of motors that was the problem.

I suppose when you launch something fairly new its difficult to try and work out what the demand will be. No point ordering loads of motors and have them stuck in a warehouse somewhere.

ChrisBike

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2018
Have you had the new bike yet Chris? If so what are your thoughts on it?
Irritating news Nev. The bike got to my lbs last week but had a defunct electrical system. Not the bike shops fault. Now waiting for Orbea to put right. They promise next week - we'll see.
I hope Orbea read this thread!

• Informative
Reactions: Nev and Artstu

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
Jeeez! I think you first posted about the time I put in my eBike order; not for an Orbea though. Mine had to come direct from Germany and has, today, had its 4-6 week checkup! I really feel for you - and in the meantime, you've missed the last of the better cycling weather...

ChrisBike

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2018
Had an email from Epic Cycles. It's thought to be a battery problem and they're apparently in short supply. I did suggest, in a separate email to Orbea customer services that they might like to consider financial compensation, but they chose to ignore that part of my email!