Does anyone know what Spokes the Carrera Crossfire E uses?

MiffyWiffy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 6, 2017
uk
I need to replace a few spokes on the wheel, they wouldn't do it and said they can only replace the wheel for £300-400 because of the Motor. They told me the spokes were 250mm x 3mm with a 90o something (couldn't understand the handwriting for that word) but I cannot find that size anywhere so it must be wrong.

Does any one know what size I really need? Apparently I cannot talk to the manufacture of the Bicycle and Halfords don't have it written down anywhere.

Thanx.

+ Never buy Electric from Halfords, the Bike cuts out all the time and they never managed to fix that either.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
This is the sort of stupid nonsense of thicko shop assistants talking utter bosh that infuriates me.
Yesterday in the Co-op, another dumbo assured me that they had not sold a certain brand of bread for years when I had bought it there in the last two weeks.
Just why they do this is beyond my comprehension.
Anyway, just take your bike to a proper bike shop and they will sort you out.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I need to replace a few spokes on the wheel, they wouldn't do it and said they can only replace the wheel for £300-400 because of the Motor. They told me the spokes were 250mm x 3mm with a 90o something (couldn't understand the handwriting for that word) but I cannot find that size anywhere so it must be wrong.

Does any one know what size I really need? Apparently I cannot talk to the manufacture of the Bicycle and Halfords don't have it written down anywhere.

Thanx.

+ Never buy Electric from Halfords, the Bike cuts out all the time and they never managed to fix that either.
Take out a good spoke and measure it for the correct length.
Take a measure from the inside of the elbow to the end for spoke length.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Totally agree
Take it to a proper bike shop
Halfrauds are rubbish end of
The proper bike shop will get the spokes fit them and true the wheel
Job done

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
Proper bike shop / mechanic can fix a few spokes pretty easily (assuming there is not significant hub or rim damage) - and will have a range of spoke sizes, they go up in 2mm increments for a reason, you need the right size or will weaken wheel (too short) or cause punctures (too long), 250mm might be right, 13 gauge might be right.

I would use what's in the wheel or upgrade to these:
https://www.jejamescycles.com/sapim-strong-single-butted-13-14g-spokes-silver.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6pG349jG2wIVjLHtCh2FigOxEAQYASABEgLEYvD_BwE

A full rebuild with better spokes, or new rim (if that's the issue) should not be much money and makes sense if the wheel is struggling

They should also talk to you about how come they are breaking, decent wheels should be pretty robust things and if a mechanic didn't ask why I was breaking them I would assume they didn't care much and wouldn't trust them to rebuild the wheel

If its a rear wheel the spokes on drive and non-drive side are different lengths and you will need to pull off the cassette to get at them

Brynric

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2015
Worcestershire
There seems to be little consistency in Halfords, either the shops or the bikes. I’ve had a problem with broken spokes but each time it’s been dealt with under warranty. Now they’ve ordered a new wheel to see if that will prevent further issues.
I have had the cut -out but it’s never caused me a problem. Oddly it’s seemed to happen 3or 4 times in perhaps 100 yards then it’s fine for the next several hundred miles. Now I have a crack in the lower part of the battery mount and that is being replaced under warranty. I don’t know if that’s connected to the cut-out issue.
So, similar problems but a far more positive response from my local Halfords (Evesham). I find all the cycle staff friendly, helpful and fairly well informed. It sounds like a “post code lottery”.

pipobarajas

Just Joined
Mar 1, 2020
Hi, I hope the thread is not too old, but I have a Crosscity and broke a few spokes as well.

I measured one of the broken spokes from the bend to the end, and the length is about 125mm, however here the length recommended is 252mm. Can anyone explain why it's almost double?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You probably looked up length for a bike with 700c wheels, for which around 250mm is typical. Around 125 sounds right for a 20" wheel on the CrossCity. I don't know a precise length though.