Does the bike I need exist at the right price...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
8fun is Bafangs marketing name. My Bafang BBS01 doesn't say Bafang, it has 8fun on it. As does my Oxydrive cst hub and bpm.

• Informative
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Woosh. I thought all the Hubs were chinese. 8 fun is chinese right?
practically all the popular hub motors are Chinese.
Bafang and 8Fun are the same company. They are the biggest and arguably the best although the best known brands in hub motors like Crystalyte, 9-continent, Dapu etc are not the biggest.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Oh so I might only get 3000 miles from it.
the hub motors can do easily 5,000+ miles, some manage 10,000 without maintenance, the result varies because people are different.
The non-motor wheel, usually the front wheel, has an ordinary hub which costs about $3 apiece. This hub is not very robust for being made from alloy and simple ball bearings. People forget to grease them.. By the time they notice something is wrong, the wheel seems notchy etc the ball bearings are already corroded and the whole wheel need replacing because, let's face it, the labour cost to relace it (about £30 + £10 for a new 36H hub) is more than the cost of a new wheel (about £30). It is not a large expense but it can be annoying.

• Informative

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Andy when new my Oxydrive 11ah battery would get me 40-45 miles, now older it manages 30 on full assist and 38 if I[m a bit more conservative with assistance. West Sx and Surrey hills where I ride is up and down and can include about 2k of ascent. My all up weight with back pack/spare battery is about 90kg. The controller is 15amp rated.
Good to hear :)
Probably a similar weigh to me in that case. By full assist, do you mean the highest level possible? Is that turbo (or sport) and on max assist? I think I read it has 18 possible levels of assist...
How long have you had the bike, how many miles have you covered on it, and has it had many problems? Sorry, lots of questions.....

Electric Transport Shop

Official Trade Member
Aug 7, 2010
Hi Andy, we have a traded in equipped Bosch powered KTM Macina with hub gears at our Cambridge store and its well within your budget. Give me a call on 01223 360208 today if you are interested. We can check sizing and spec and see if its a good fit for you.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Good to hear :)
Probably a similar weigh to me in that case. By full assist, do you mean the highest level possible? Is that turbo (or sport) and on max assist? I think I read it has 18 possible levels of assist...
How long have you had the bike, how many miles have you covered on it, and has it had many problems? Sorry, lots of questions.....
My Oxydrive assist levels aren't eco, sport or turbo. Just has 1,2 & 3 (probably the same as E,S or T) mode level with 6 assist levels in each mode.
For the 30 mile range I'm in mode 3 assist 5 or assist 17 and tonking along at 18-20 mph effortlessly, for 38 mile range and longer riding jollies I'm in mode 1 and assist 3-5 but am having to imput more.
Each mode is also torque related as you notice the acceleration and hub drive power.
Bike is Boardman CX frame and MX fork buy from ebay and built up by me and a couple years old now, the kit is 2.5 years old approx and done 2532 miles only one issue was moisture ingress in the pas sensor which was rectified with some butyl pliable sealant.

Last edited:

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Hi Andy, we have a traded in equipped Bosch powered KTM Macina with hub gears at our Cambridge store and its well within your budget. Give me a call on 01223 360208 today if you are interested. We can check sizing and spec and see if its a good fit for you.
Many thanks for the info.
Im pretty sure I know which one I am going to go for now, the Oxygen. I cant really make any firm moves on it just yet as in the process of moving house

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
My Oxydrive assist levels aren't eco, sport or turbo. Just has 1,2 & 3 (probably the same as E,S or T) mode level with 6 assist levels in each mode.
For the 30 mile range I'm in mode 3 assist 5 or assist 17 and tonking along at 18-20 mph effortlessly, for 38 mile range and longer riding jollies I'm in mode 1 and assist 3-5 but am having to imput more.
Each mode is also torque related as you notice the acceleration and hub drive power.
Bike is Boardman CX frame and MX fork buy from ebay and built up by me and a couple years old now, the kit is 2.5 years old approx and done 2400 miles only one issue was moisture ingress in the pas sensor which was rectified with some butyl pliable sealant.

Sorry, I just read your sig...I didn't realize it was just the kit you have and not the full bike.
Like the sound of the various power levels though. Another tick in the box ;)

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Mine is same just different names. Eco normal and power. And then 6 levels of speed within each one. So if you ride power but level one you get the highest torque but it cuts out early. Stops you going too fast on pedal assist. You might use the latter if you don't want to stop and change power mode . It's been in power up a hill now you on flat on a high street . It keeps pulling a bit too much, you can easily down arrow the speed it will assist to.

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
it is as fast as the gearing you have on it so with my 18t at front and 10t on the rear can hit 30mph on the flat.

the dongle just slides over the speed sensor ans yes with out it will cut out at 15.5mph.

Pedestrian zone with folk running for their lives, pavement and then a one way street then past PC plod in his Astra all in lees than 3 minutes , now I know I have no worries.

• :D

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Although Ive pretty made up my mind to go with the Woosh Rio MTB, i'm going to the 50 cycles Altrincham opening event next Friday. Worth a look around.

Will be interesting to see these "expensive" bikes in the flesh to see what the difference is with the cheaper chinese bikes.
Got these in mind to have a closer look as they are the only ones near to my price range. Pound for pound, I dont think I would get as much for my money, but hopefully get a test ride on some of them.

http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/giant-bikes/full_e-2.html

http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/haibike-bikes/sduro_hardseven_4_0.html

http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/scott-bikes/e-sub_tour_men.html

http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/cube-bikes/reaction_hybrid_hpa_pro_500.html

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
;) id go with the cube :D

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
With crank drive especially you need quality gears, Deore, SLX, XT in that order of quality. The Acera on Haibike are entry level. Recently swapped wife's 1yr old Acera derailleur for 10yr along Deore I had, made huge improvement. Shifts were lighter, faster and positive, still not quite as good as my SLX or XT.

• Informative