Double kickstand for my dahon jetstream

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
Neither of these is listed as suitable for ebikes, not clear why ,it may be a strength issue. Also the size will need altered for a 20 inch wheel. The legs look easy to shorten.

Twangman

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2012
London
I have a double kickstand on the Volt and yes it does pull the chain downwards when you stand the bike. I found I had to bend the chain side leg a bit wider for clearance.
All the double stands I have seen only recommend a minimum 24" wheels for clearance. The double side stand seems interesting did no they existed will have to try one.

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
I have spotted the weakness. The adjustable foot is plastic and is held to the alloy leg by a single bolt. The hole in the plastic part carries the load and may fail with a heavy ebike. On yours, having a small wheel, the alloy leg could be cut to ' bottom out' inside the plastic foot and leave the bolt to hold the foot in place .

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
So what do you reckon? Shall I get one?

D

Deleted member 4366

None of them fit your bike. You need a frame that has the chainstay bridge plate with a hole in it.

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
Dave, You can buy a couple of bridges and a long bolt from a bike shop to solve this snag. One bridge might do depending on the stand mount and some come with a spare bridge and bolt as standard.

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
So what do you reckon? Shall I get one?
Read Dave's point re the stay bridge. You can buy this metal plate and the long bolt. It goes across the chain stays on the top and the long bolt pulls the stand fitting tight against the bottom of the stays. Give it a try ,otherwise it's the single side stand.

D

Deleted member 4366

Can you provide a link? I'd be surprised if they fit the Dahon subframe.

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
Hi ,Again Dave. These are found on those displays of packets of bolts and odd small handy parts etc. I have some lying about in the junk drawer. At worst buy a cheap stand for the bit, a 50mm long 10mm fine metric bolt should fit.
Looking at cwah's pic I see what you mean re the deep square section stay .It shows a bridge piece ,could this be drilled ? I can't see any reason not to.
It looks as if the triangular space in front of this bridge would take a 10mm bolt easily. It may need a custom made top plate to fit the frame shape, If you need one made cwah make a cardboard pattern and I will run one off for you for free. PM me if required. I have a certain amount of regard for cwah's tenacity in the face of limited technical resources.

Reactions: cwah

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
When I bought my s/h Jetstream it came fitted with a Pletscher Twin Leg Kickstand, marked 26inch. The bike also came with nice chunky 2.15 Big Apple tyres and I think the stand must have been fitted before the larger tyres as the legs are slightly too short, making the bike rather unstable when using it.

I see Pletscher do a longer legged version of this stand, marked 28” 320mm, which would probably be better, although I'd just as soon have a single sided stand as on my other bikes.

If you're going to buy any kickstand make sure the legs are long enough – it's much easier to shorten them than lengthen them!

Without the threaded crossbar you have to clamp it between the chainstays. A double legged stand puts extra strain on the chainstays so you have to take special care when fitting it - with rubber above and below. Mine is fitted with a fairly standard looking top plate but I'm sure Kuorider's larger custom made one would be better.

This video explains some of the potential problems and one solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: cwah

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Thank you both for your help and advice.

Yes custom made plate would be great, but if I simple piece of rubber is enough I'm not going to ask just for the sake of asking ;)

Shall I get the 28" model to be sure it will be long enough?
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pletscher/double-leg-center-kickstand-ec009056?country=GB&currency=GBP&esvt=1336-GOUKE258356&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-38218-1&esvcrea=61233050216&esvplace=&esvd=m&esvaid=50080&gclid=CjwKEAjw__atBRDfqe-9voylym8SJAAOBeQ_Z3e3RR4_UvExK41t4O8qz-BkwZA7XEQrdHeFPTwrBhoCwibw_wcB

I can still cut it if it's too long!

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I've looked a bit closer at the label on mine and now think what I thought said 26” is actually a 25kg maximum load warning, so it could be the 28” version I have which is too short. In their catalogue they also give a 'Strut Length' figure of 320mm, which appears to be BB height. The BB height on mine, ground to centre, is 325mm, again suggesting that I may have the longer one, and it might be too short.

If your BB height is 320mm or less you should be ok with the longer one, but check it before fitting so you can return it if it's too short.

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I've now solved the problem of the too short legs! This thread has made me look more closely at the stand and I could see that the problem was with chainstays being angled down towards the back it forces the stand legs too far forward when deployed. By sticking a felt pad to the top of the leg it limits their forward travel slightly and the stand now works fine. A rubber pad, or something solid, would better, but that's what I had to hand.

So thank you cwah, perhaps I'll get to like this stand after all.

Reactions: Geoff W and cwah

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
Without the threaded crossbar you have to clamp it between the chainstays. A double legged stand puts extra strain on the chainstays so you have to take special care when fitting it - with rubber above and below. Mine is fitted with a fairly standard looking top plate but I'm sure Kuorider's larger custom made one would be better.
Your pic shows the very part I mentioned to Dave. This stand may be just the thing for Cwah's job. Buy the longest stand to cover the point jhruk mentioned re the chainstay angle and cut to suit. Post back if you need any help .
Take care not to let the plastic feet carry the bike load. Measure twice, cut once.
This is an excellent example of the Forum at work, where else would you get these important snippets of info. Keep us posted.

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
. A rubber pad, or something solid, would better, but that's what I had to hand.
A good source of tough rubber is the exhaust hanging straps sold in motor shops. These are made from rubber & fabric and useful for all sorts of odd jobs.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Thanks again for all this knowledge. I'd have never been able to go so far on my own :)

Here are the measures:

So I think it's 30cm from the chainstay to the ground? So I suppose I should get the 320mm one?