Dreaded crossfire cutout.

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
So my crossfire's cutting out. Press the battery button and then the power button and it works for 10 seconds before cytting out again. This only started last week. New battery didnt make any difference. If this happens when I am pulling out of a junction and I get hit by a car, if I am still alive, suing Halfords will be my very next thing to do.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Get rid, take it back for a refund. They know they are not fit for purpose but still continue to flog a dead horse. Get a better quality bike like a Wisper torque.

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
Bought in a scheme, already changed it to this one from the mountain bike. Its yhe suntours setup, has to be. In my experience and my opinion, anything technology related made in China has a real issue of not being fully tested. Not saying all things, but caveat emptor for reselling companies as well as individuals.
Can anyone point me to issues with the crossfuse which has bosch drivetrain, i would say not, probably because bosch themselves would test it thoroughly even if it was made in China.
The ebike I bought from shopping channel has had no issues since I bought it, except for being rattly when under load cos it is front drive and has steel mudguard.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: atheo and LeighPing

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
My experience of Chinese stuff is OK. My conversion is with an Ezee kit and, so far , has around 7000 bullet proof miles on it. My wife has the Woosh Big Bear, less mileage but also faultless. All parts available for self servicing.

There have been bearing problems reported with thw Bosch drive, though there is someone called Bearingman who seems to have had a load made.
Be aware that with the Bosch system you are tied into their service and parts. If the battery goes, it has to be a Bosch replacement, £600+ I believe. If the motor goes out of warranty you have to have yours removed by a Bosch agent and sent back to Germany BEFORE they will supply another.
It's the Apple thing all over again. So, as you say, caveat emptor!

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
If anyone else has this bike, please try this to see what happens.

Put the bike on full power at standstill, with a pedal ready to push down on. Get on the bike pushing down on the pedal as you mount it, and a split second later pull the front brake. See if the abrupt stop of the motor screws the logic of the BMS. Ie: it cuts out couple seconds later.

Thanks.

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Since I ripped the controller out of my Vulcan and derestricted it with a new one I have had only 1 cutout, had loads before. So the issue is the BMS tripping but the suntour controller seems worse for it

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Colin Carey

Just Joined
Oct 13, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
Hey,
Same cut-out issue with the Crossfire after only 2 weeks, and the battery would only charge to 76%. I got straight back onto the Halfords branch where I bought it (I am in Dublin) and they took the bike back and gave me their demo model for the interim, which was decent of them (this too has cut a few times). I now know they cant fix this issue, as I am sure they do!

Asked for a price on the Crossfuse and they came back offering a meager discount (expecting me to pay +500 Eur to upgrade) with no accessories to sweeten the deal. I declined and they are now giving me a new Crossfire, they were pushing for a refund (sure they've a pain in their neck at this stage!) even acknowledging "...in case there are more problems down the road" - had to laugh at that.

The staff have been good to deal with (not great; I had to chase constantly,they mislaid the repair docket twice and never checked the battery issue) so I felt some recompense was in order. Either way they'll replace the bike anew and if I get the same issue we'll do this dance again!

These issues aside, the Crossfire is an excellent, especially as a first ebike, and is priced much lower than most others at entry level (about €2k). If I could afford it I'd take the refund and get a Cube, Orbea or Giant....if only!

Last edited:

kingsknight

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2018
Hey,
Same cut-out issue with the Crossfire after only 2 weeks, and the battery would only charge to 76%. I got straight back onto the Halfords branch where I bought it (I am in Dublin) and they took the bike back and gave me their demo model for the interim, which was decent of them (this too has cut a few times). I now know they cant fix this issue, as I am sure they do!

Asked for a price on the Crossfuse and they came back offering a meager discount (expecting me to pay +500 Eur to upgrade) with no accessories to sweeten the deal. I declined and they are now giving me a new Crossfire, they were pushing for a refund (sure they've a pain in their neck at this stage!) even acknowledging "...in case there are more problems down the road" - had to laugh at that.

The staff have been good to deal with (not great; I had to chase constantly,they mislaid the repair docket twice and never checked the battery issue) so I felt some recompense was in order. Either way they'll replace the bike anew and if I get the same issue we'll do this dance again!

These issues aside, the Crossfire is an excellent, especially as a first ebike, and is priced much lower than most others at entry level (about €2k). If I could afford it I'd take the refund and get a Cube, Orbea or Giant....if only!

I upgraded to the Crossfuse and it has been perfect! Done nearly 400 miles on it now and it hasn't had any issues what so ever! All i've done is keep the chain oiled and cleaned the bike! Halfords really looked after me!

I didn't even need to ask for the freebies on my deals, he just offered me them! That being said I did have to take my Crossfire back 4 or 5 times. I agree with the service, I had to chase the repairs every single time and I did complain on the 3rd time of going in.

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Me too. Except I did have one problem with the Crossfuse. The 3 hidden allenbolts that hold the front sprocket to the motor backed out. One came out so far it scraped the housing on every revolution which fortunately I heard while cleaning the bike. You need a torch to look down and check they are firmly home. Halfords stripped it and put loctite on them and they have been fine since
Mikr

kingsknight

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2018
Me too. Except I did have one problem with the Crossfuse. The 3 hidden allenbolts that hold the front sprocket to the motor backed out. One came out so far it scraped the housing on every revolution which fortunately I heard while cleaning the bike. You need a torch to look down and check they are firmly home. Halfords stripped it and put loctite on them and they have been fine since
Mikr
oh crap! Yeah that happened to me too! I got halfords to do them all up when I had my rear rack fitted! lucky for me it only come out slightly so nothing was damaged!

Forgot about that! lol

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
oh crap! Yeah that happened to me too! I got halfords to do them all up when I had my rear rack fitted! lucky for me it only come out slightly so nothing was damaged!

Forgot about that! lol
Looks like they are forgetting the threadlock on all of them on the assembly line. I will post a separate warning as it would have been a nightmare if they had come loose on my recent cycling tour - you need a special tool to fix it (I think)
Mike

Reactions: kingsknight

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
It would be nice to think it spread upwards from the stores to somewhere central, but somehow I don't think that's going to happen
Mike