Dropper post worth it?

Russelliow

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
iom
I am currently contemplating the necessity of a dropper post. There are lots of cool bits of bling like dropper posts, fox forks ,saint calipers that I could convince myself I need but do I really? I don't want to go too mad because I also like bicycles with petrol engines. It would appear you need to spend £300 to get a reliable one that lasts more than a year. Do I really need one? I currently adjust my seat post about once every couple of rides. I can see it being useful if you need to go from maximum pedaling efficiency to down hill and jump safety but, having said that I run my saddle low ish because I have electric powers and don't need a super high saddle. Has anyone bought one and did it change your Life?

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
You won't go back ones you have had one and like soundwave said you don't have to spend £300 I paid about £120 for mine had it just under a year with no problems

I have a brand x

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Brand -X appears to get good reviews for a budget D/P esp fort he Ascend 11 & Ascend, one being int and to'ther ext routed. The 150mm version not so good it appears.

Brand - X is a CRC own brand, which incidentally is now a part of Wiggle having acquired the former. Wigglecrc is the new company name though both are trading as independent entities for now.
Sadly for the bulk of it's N.I. workforce the future doesn't look good as distribution will probably move to it's Midlands based warehouse/distribution centre.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Steve UKLSRA

Rutland Cycling

Trade Member
Sep 5, 2017
Rutland
Dropper posts are definitely becoming an essential item for mountain biking. If you are doing trail/enduro riding I would definitely recommend one.

Enduro-mtb did a pretty comprehensive review not so long ago that I would recommend a read of!

http://enduro-mtb.com/en/ten-dropper-post-test/

Just be sure to check your current seatpost diameter and the length of travel on the new dropper!

Luke

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I'd get one if they came with a suspension top!:)
Dave.
if you let half the air out it will bob up and down ;)

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
I have the rock shox reverb, basically the one that came with the haibike both mine and hubs original dropper broke.
It is the best thing since sliced bread, couldn't do without it. Get one :)

Reactions: chris_n

TheGnarlyCenturion

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 27, 2017
Stow
I have also got one, and wouldnt be without now.. conversley my bike is rigid and SS because I hate the maintenance of suspension.

Giant's dropper post is similiarly good value, and I believe it to be more reliable than the brand x. Alternatively for a bit more, I am now running the ethirteen dropper post as it is one of the few purely mechanical posts you can buy in the UK hassle free. (Obv gravity dropper post from USA, and Vecnum from Germany are options, but I prefer the design of the Ethirteen)

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
You don't need to be MTBing to enjoy benefits of dropper. I use my around town all time, nice to be able plant both feet on ground at intersections while waiting for lights to change.

The only downside is if using hardtail it is either suspension seatpost or dropper.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Another advantage, if you're my age and with stiff hips, is that if you drop it when you dismount you can get your leg over the saddle when re-mounting. (insert joke here - - -)

Russelliow

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
iom
I finally got one, Its a tomson 150mm. I can see it being very useful, it's nice to be able to get the saddle completely out of the way at the press of a button.

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
I can't deny I couldn't do without one, the tomson is supposed to be a good one has had good reviews.

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
I wouldn't ride without one these days. As good for barreling down hills as it is for helping to make dog walking in the snow a cinch.

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
+1 for the Thomson, I've got the Covert dropper on my Nukeproof Mega and couldn't live without it...been on there 3 years and never had to touch it, whereas the KS Lev that came on my Haibike gave up after 18 months and was unrepairable!

Related Articles

Advertisers