E-Bike for Towing

Owens

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 16, 2017
Lincolnshire
We have an autistic 14 year old who loves being out and about, especially on the tag along that we pull behind a push bike. The problem is that the Mission semi-trike tag along plus a 6' adult size teenager is a bit to much to drag around, even here in Lincolnshire.

We are now looking at electric bike / kit options to allow us to keep taking him out - without plenty of time out of the house, he gets quite destructive, so we need to try and keep the cycling option open.

We will basically be pedalling to take our own load, but need something to move the trailer along, with the assumption that the rider won't be doing any work! The battery is an issue as well, since we will be relying on the powered drive and therefore need a reasonable capacity.

We are considering kits and complete bikes and also the possibility to fit a kit to the rear tag along, controlled from the front, maybe even a kit on each bike.

Any recommendations / suggestions gratefully received?

gwing3

Oct 5, 2017
Chilterns, UK
We have an autistic 14 year old who loves being out and about, especially on the tag along that we pull behind a push bike. The problem is that the Mission semi-trike tag along plus a 6' adult size teenager is a bit to much to drag around, even here in Lincolnshire.

We are now looking at electric bike / kit options to allow us to keep taking him out - without plenty of time out of the house, he gets quite destructive, so we need to try and keep the cycling option open.

We will basically be pedalling to take our own load, but need something to move the trailer along, with the assumption that the rider won't be doing any work! The battery is an issue as well, since we will be relying on the powered drive and therefore need a reasonable capacity.

We are considering kits and complete bikes and also the possibility to fit a kit to the rear tag along, controlled from the front, maybe even a kit on each bike.

My load isn't as heavy being a 21Kg dog in a 14.5Kg trailer but the Cube Reaction ebikes we have make this ridiculously easy either on or off road and it's all hills here. The CX motor has huge Torque which combined with the wide gear range mean I can tug this lot up a 1:6 hill not even having to go into the highest Turbo mode *much* more easily than going up unburdened on a conventional bike. The 500 battery lasts considerably longer than I want to cycle in one go :)

I think any bike with this sort of formula ( 70nm ish crank motor, wide gear range, decent battery) should do a good job for you. I'd be wary of the cheaper hub motor options as they may not work as well with the heavy load when you hit hills or strong wind.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
  • Informative
Reactions: VictoryV

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Don't disregard hub motors. High torque hubs such as the Bafang BPM are near bullet proof. Ezee hub motors are big, strong, reliable and legal (250w). You could have a battery built to your own spec by Jimmy at Insat international (maybe in a frame bag?).
How about a rear wheel hub with as big a battery as you can fit/afford, in a triangle bag, leaving the tag along unpowered? Hydraulic disc on the front and rear (though nowhere near as effective).
How about a tandem? All control with the pilot, plenty of frame space for a huge double battery, made to take the weight?

Owens

Nov 16, 2017
Lincolnshire
Don't disregard hub motors. High torque hubs such as the Bafang BPM are near bullet proof. Ezee hub motors are big, strong, reliable and legal (250w). You could have a battery built to your own spec by Jimmy at Insat international (maybe in a frame bag?).
How about a rear wheel hub with as big a battery as you can fit/afford, in a triangle bag, leaving the tag along unpowered? Hydraulic disc on the front and rear (though nowhere near as effective).
How about a tandem? All control with the pilot, plenty of frame space for a huge double battery, made to take the weight?
The tag long had a rear basket, replaced with a plywood sheet, so potentially huge battery space available.

Hub motor would be OK, just need to power the rear as this has a lotnof weight on it. Same for the brakes, the rear has part of the tag along weight, so should brake effectively.

We are going to test ride a standard tandem. The issue is that Will moves around a lot. When I used to carry him in a rear child seat, the sudden movements were a bit unnerving. Will have to try and see how it works.

Owens

Nov 16, 2017
Lincolnshire
So will your son pedal/be active? If not, maybe a cargoe trike may suit. Something like the Baboe:
https://gratis247.nl/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/mamaplaats-bakfiets-250.jpg

Although you've said he's a big lad, so perhaps a rickshaw trike would be better?
www.jxcycle.com/product/tricycle-auto-rickshaw
The Baboe wouldn't work. The rickshaw probably would, but we can get to a similar place by adding assistance to our current setup.

Edit. He pedals a bit, but intermittent. The lack of pedalling is what limits the distance we can go.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
OK. So you could add a rear hub to your own bike with a frame battery , to move some of the weight forward.
First thoughts are that it would be tricky to power the tag along as you would need control cables coming from the main bike, so you keep control of what that motor does. A tag along mounted battery feeding a motor on the main bike would need big cables, because of the length.
Combined weight would be high, so you would need a high torque motor. Something like the Bafang SWX. A 36v motor run from a 48v battery and 48v controller would give you extra torque.

Second thoughts:
Suppose you could put battery, motor and conroller on the tag along and run extended control cables from the main bike (power setting, pas, brake cutoff). All are low voltage and current so woul be small cables. You'd have to put plugs somewhere near the rear wheel so you could remove the tag along.
Not sure what the handling would be like though, with the whole thing being pushed from the rear most wheel !

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016

Have you considered something like the Tern GSD or a cargo bike with seating?
https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/bikes/471/gsd
http://dutchcargobike.com.au/shop/bakfiets-riksja-elderly-people/
http://dutchcargobike.com.au/product-category/family/

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it seems that our new 48V kit may fit your requirements.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits

It's a Bafang SWX02 laced to a 26" rim, the motor is wound for high torque.
The battery is a downtube HL battery, 48V 12AH, giving about 40 miles on a full charge.

• Informative
Reactions: VictoryV

Owens

Nov 16, 2017
Lincolnshire
OK. So you could add a rear hub to your own bike with a frame battery , to move some of the weight forward.
First thoughts are that it would be tricky to power the tag along as you would need control cables coming from the main bike, so you keep control of what that motor does. A tag along mounted battery feeding a motor on the main bike would need big cables, because of the length.
Combined weight would be high, so you would need a high torque motor. Something like the Bafang SWX. A 36v motor run from a 48v battery and 48v controller would give you extra torque.

Second thoughts:
Suppose you could put battery, motor and conroller on the tag along and run extended control cables from the main bike (power setting, pas, brake cutoff). All are low voltage and current so woul be small cables. You'd have to put plugs somewhere near the rear wheel so you could remove the tag along.
Not sure what the handling would be like though, with the whole thing being pushed from the rear most wheel !
I could manage the wiring from a rear battery, or from front control and rear driven. I think it would be possible to link the controls as well, to power a 250 W motor on each bike. Mot sure about the legalities when 2 bikes are powered but joined together.

gwing3

Oct 5, 2017
Chilterns, UK
I could manage the wiring from a rear battery, or from front control and rear driven. I think it would be possible to link the controls as well, to power a 250 W motor on each bike. Mot sure about the legalities when 2 bikes are powered but joined together.
I think the combination of the two 'bikes', each powered and with controls linked might be treated as a single unit when you apply for type approval. The thread here 'Electric push trailer' is interesting.

But all this complexity is unnecessary (unless you want to build). A single legal 250W motor (capable of 500+W peak) driven through gears will be more than capable of doing the job. There must be someone closer - but if you fancy a trip to the Chilterns some time you can try my bike as the tug.