E-bike for very small person

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
My female friend is in the market for an E-bike with a range of up to 70 miles and it must have drop handlebars.
The problem is that she's tiny...4'10 with her arms raised and with a very slight build.
She is an experienced cyclist and prefers drop-bars, and the problem which I have experienced before when finding something to fit her is one of top-tube length in that this is usually too long. Sufficient reach has always been a problem and this is made even more difficult when she insists upon having drops.
I'd be grateful for any suggestions as to the best of my knowledge drops are not the usual choice when it comes to E-bikes.

Rutland Cycling

Trade Member
Sep 5, 2017
Rutland
My female friend is in the market for an E-bike with a range of up to 70 miles and it must have drop handlebars.
The problem is that she's tiny...4'10 with her arms raised and with a very slight build.
She is an experienced cyclist and prefers drop-bars, and the problem which I have experienced before when finding something to fit her is one of top-tube length in that this is usually too long. Sufficient reach has always been a problem and this is made even more difficult when she insists upon having drops.
I'd be grateful for any suggestions as to the best of my knowledge drops are not the usual choice when it comes to E-bikes.
Hi George,

The likes of the Cube Agree, Giant Road-E and Focus Project Y will all be too big for her in a small size. The only one which we sell may be close would be the Bianchi Impulso E-Road in a 47cm, which can be found here : https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/electric-bikes/bianchi-impulso-e-road-ultegra-disc-2018-electric-road-bike-grey_380568

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
Thanks for that, it does look like an interesting bike. On the 47cm frame I wonder what the virtual top=tube length would be....probably around the same or slightly more. The motor being completely new would worry me a bit though...unproved and all that.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it certainly is the case when you try to convert a bike to electric.
Most LCDs and all thumb throttles are made to fit onto 1" diameter tube.

On this bike, I made a 3D printed replacement straps for the LCD and thumb throttle.

The kit is a Woosh XF08C rear hub. On a lightweight road bike, you can get about 120 miles with a 17AH HL battery (3.2kgs).

Reactions: Wheel-E

Rutland Cycling

Trade Member
Sep 5, 2017
Rutland
Thanks for that, it does look like an interesting bike. On the 47cm frame I wonder what the virtual top=tube length would be....probably around the same or slightly more. The motor being completely new would worry me a bit though...unproved and all that.
Here's the geometry chart, so you're looking at 515mm.

upload_2018-5-9_15-36-46.png
With it being a new motor - we have also gone into it quite cautiously, but of the several we've sold over the past few months there's not been any reports of teething issues. I suppose only time will tell, but if anything does happen we're all set up to take care of it.

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
That may be a little long...even with some sweep-back.
I do wish she could have settled for a different handlebar. There are so many which would suit I'm sure. I had to make up something to fit a Rohloff twist grip on the last drops she had.

Dewey

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2016
Arlington, VA
She is an experienced cyclist.
Maybe a kit motor on a 650c Kids road bike like a Specialized Allez Jr? I can't see it on the Specialized UK site but Googling reveals a few UK suppliers. It comes in one size 44 and there's a review on Youtube from a 9 year old girl. It uses an aluminium front fork so not really suitable for a front hub motor, but has a standard BSA 68mm square taper bottom bracket to accommodate a crank drive motor and bottle cage bosses so you can mount a battery inside the triangle. The Tongsheng TSDZ2 motor might be a candidate because it uses a torque sensor and has an available 34/42 dual chainring, which is reasonably close to the 34/46 chainring you'd be replacing. Reportedly the TSDZ2 with a 36v battery consumes roughly 10 wh/mile so you would need a large 20ah battery (or two >10ah batteries) to get the sort of range you're talking. The bike doesn't look like it has rack bosses to add a rear rack so you might consider a Thule Tour Rack and fit one battery inside the triangle, and the other on the rack and have a long enough power cable to swap from one to the other when its drained.

Last edited:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I take it she hasn't got a bike at present that you could convert. Road ebikes are on the market now, but sounds like she wil need an extra small frame. Depending on her budget you could look at a made to measure custom frame and build it up with a small lightweight rear hub motor kit.

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
Thanks for that Dewey but I'm pretty well knackered these days (broken back and very old) and can't do that sort of work these days. Something to consider though.

@wheeliepete....at present she has a Moulton TSR27 which has been converted by ARCC but seems to have her heart set on drops and something of a greater mileage which would allow her to attend cycle club meets. She also has an old Brompton, a Longstaff tourer and a custom-built tourer by Roberts. I wonder if she would consider converting the Roberts (steel frame and drops) or the Longstaff which has the same. It would certainly be cheaper than a new e-bike with the spec she wants. I'm going to ask her but if she agrees then someone else will have to do the conversion.

Reactions: Dewey

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
If she has a frame that fits her it's a good start. The new carbon road bikes around now and in the near future are very nice(and pricey!), but they don't have the battery to supply assist full time, so depending on her needs they may not give her the range she is after. One of the many advantages of building your own bike is you can spec the components to your requirements. So, if you want high range, but low assist level, you can have a small lighter motor and a bigger battery.

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
Like me she's getting old but she can still pedal so I'd have to quiz her on that. I'll try to give her all the possibilities and then she can choose.

I'm having to put my own Mouton TSR27 with e-assist by ARCC up for sale as soon as I can give it a polish as I've given up hoping that I'm going to get back to cycling.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
The fact she already rides an electric bike gives her an idea of how much assistance she requires which is very helpful. Sorry to hear you are retiring from the saddle, it's always a sad day when we forced to give up things we have enjoyed for years.

Dewey

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2016
Arlington, VA
I wonder if she would consider converting the Roberts (steel frame and drops) or the Longstaff which has the same. It would certainly be cheaper than a new e-bike with the spec she wants. I'm going to ask her but if she agrees then someone else will have to do the conversion.
Brighton ebikes can convert the bike with a BBS01 motor (simple PAS cadence sensor), or charge 180 quid for their installation service if you supply the bike and parts. Maybe ask a local bike shop for a shipping box and cross fingers the mail monkeys don't stomp on it on the journey from Scotland to the South Coast.

Last edited:

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
Brighton ebikes can convert the bike with a BBS01 motor (simple PAS cadence sensor), or charge 180 quid for their installation service if you supply the bike and parts. Maybe ask a local bike shop for a shipping box and cross fingers the mail monkeys don't stomp on it on the journey from Scotland to the South Coast.
Yes...she has decided to use her Roberts tourer for conversion and I think the set-up you suggest would be the one to go for. I would have like to do the conversion myself but no longer feel able and it would be great if there were someone around my area who could do the job. Any business in Fife or around Edinburgh/Glasgow would be fine.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Maybe put up a post for help from a member in your area. There are plenty of builders on the forum and I'm sure there are some in your part of the country. If you are going with the Bafang BBS it's about 1/2 an hours work to fit. Most of the work involves tidying cables which you may be able to do yourself.

Reactions: Dewey

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Yes...she has decided to use her Roberts tourer for conversion and I think the set-up you suggest would be the one to go for. I would have like to do the conversion myself but no longer feel able and it would be great if there were someone around my area who could do the job. Any business in Fife or around Edinburgh/Glasgow would be fine.
how about edinburgh bicycle co-op?
we have worked with them a few times.

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
Thanks Pete.... I'm now wondering if I should tackle the job myself and order a kit from ebay or suchlike. I believe that a front wheel will come with the motor installed so I may manage it if I can sit for some of the time. This may be preferable to packing and transporting the bike to some place capable and willing to do the job.