E Bike Mtb Recommendations

Sportsman

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2018
Good Afternoon

I am after an ebike that i can use on road that i can use to travel to and from work 15 mile round trip and also something i can use at the weekend at lets say Llandegla preferably a Hardtail with 120mm travel budget 1500-2k

Thanks

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Llandegla

you will have a broken ass rolling round them trails on a hard tail.

• :D
Reactions: Sportsman

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well for ur price range have a look at the cube bosch ebikes but ur not going to get a decent forks for that price range.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
So adding additional cost, and the need for two batteries on almost every ride. For a decent day of riding, you would probably also require a third.

I really rate the quality of Focus bikes, but have never seen the point of the battery system that they use.

Last edited:

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
So adding additional cost, and the need for two batteries on almost every ride. For a decent day of riding, you would probably also require a third.

I really rate the quality of Focus bikes, but have never seen the point of the battery system that they use.
I have one on order - I do a relatively short commute so my integrated battery is good for a full week's travel but if I ride for maybe 30 miles then having the spare in my bag will be great. I also intend to keep running the main battery right down before attaching the add-on rather than charging more frequently, which will hopefully extend the life of the integrated battery

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
I have one on order - I do a relatively short commute so my integrated battery is good for a full week's travel but if I ride for maybe 30 miles then having the spare in my bag will be great. I also intend to keep running the main battery right down before attaching the add-on rather than charging more frequently, which will hopefully extend the life of the integrated battery
Having the second battery fitted will be better for battery life assuming both are discharged in parallel.

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
Having the second battery fitted will be better for battery life assuming both are discharged in parallel.
No, it doesn't work like that. It draws only from the integrated battery until you connect the add-on battery to the charging port, and then it draws only from there. It means you can choose which to draw from and you don't end up with 2 partly discharged batteries

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
Giant have a nice range of bikes from full mountain to dedicated road and they have decent battery capacity. For 2k you can get something that suits. I can get 20 miles very hard ride out of mine on full assist. They have multiple power assist options to tailor to mileage

Sportsman

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2018
Thanks for all the comments, I am considering the Specialized Levo 29er 2019 model, is the no computer on these bikes then all done on the phone app ?

Sportsman

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2018
I am now debating whether I need a Hardtail or full suspension :(,I will be doing mostly toe paths fire roads the odd jaunt thru the forest's

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
FS
Pros
Excellent on any surface at speed, going up or down. Hard to beat for MTB park riding.
Cons
More expensive to buy and maintain. Not ideal for touring due to limited load carrying. Expensive option for commuting.

HT
Pros
Considerable cheaper to buy and maintain.
Multi purpose, MTB parks, fire roads. Can be setup as tourer with 25kg+ load carrying. Commuter with mudguards and lights. If you get into MTBing and buy a FS, can be repurposed or sold.

Cons
Not as good a ride on rough surfaces at speed, but suspension seatpost and reduced speed will give comfortable ride.
Not as capable as FS when tackling steep descents or jumps.

The newer HTs with plus tires will be more capable MTBs and comfortable on rough surfaces.

Highly recommend something with airfork. Quality suspension on MTB whether it is HT or FS is critical.

Sportsman

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2018
Trevor monty thanks for the info , I am stumped as what to get waiting for a couple of the 2019 cube range to come out, the hardtails I like are nearly as expensive as getting a full suspension hats why I am edging to a full susser:D

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Trevor monty thanks for the info , I am stumped as what to get waiting for a couple of the 2019 cube range to come out, the hardtails I like are nearly as expensive as getting a full suspension hats why I am edging to a full susser:D
Hi
You are looking at higher end hardtails and lower end full suspension then
As with any mtb buy the best forks you can afford as cheap suspension can ruin a bike

• Agree
Reactions: lyme and Nev

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
With HT go lower spec, with FS go higher spec.

For forest road riding higher spec Trek HT powerfly 7 doesn't justify extra cost over PF 5. In case MTB parking riding the higher FS PF7 is better choice than FS PF 5.

I'm using Trek as example, not recommendation. In saying that they are good bikes.