E-bike Of The Year

C

Cyclezee

What would be your e-bike of the 2008? That is, new bikes that have come on the market this year and not necessarily one you own. There are quite a number to choose from manufacturers such as Cytronex, Kalkhoff, Giant, Powabyke, Monark, Wisper etc.etc. Or, rather than an 'off the shelf' model, it could be a kit bike that you or someone else has built.

J:) hn

Last edited by a moderator:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If the December 2007 introduction can be included, the Kalkhoff Agattu for bringing in European quality with a bike having genuine hill climb ability and variable power options.

If that's excluded as being 2007, the Cytronex Trek for it being a genuinely new concept answering a formerly unsatisfied need, and still standing unique in the market.

There will be a contender shortly for the 2009 e-bike of the year, but I'm not telling you yet. The manufacturer will let on in due course. ;)

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

If the December 2007 introduction can be included, the Kalkhoff Agattu for bringing in European quality with a bike having genuine hill climb ability and variable power options.

If that's excluded as being 2007, the Cytronex Trek for it being a genuinely new concept answering a formerly unsatisfied need, and still standing unique in the market.

There will be a contender shortly for the 2009 e-bike of the year, but I'm not telling you yet. The manufacturer will let on in due course. ;)
Not wishing to split hairs, the Agattu came onto the market in November 2007, and is a 2008 model. I doubt of more than a dozen were sold before 2008. The diamond frame Agattu along with the Pro Connect didn't reach these shores before 2008. I have to agree about rating the Cytronex up there. Powabyke tried something similar with the X-byke, but so far it doesnt seem to have "cut the mustard".

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not wishing to split hairs, the Agattu came onto the market in November 2007, but I doubt of more than a handful were sold before 2008. Also the diamond frame Agattu along with the Pro Connect didn't reach these shores before 2008.
I don't think in customers hands though. I got the test Agattu from A to B right at the end of November and tested in November/December, so with that and the lateness of the diamond frame I think it qualifies as 2008.

I have to agree about rating the Cytronex up there. Powabyke tried something similar with the X-byke, but so far it doesnt seem to have "cut the mustard".

I think the normal bike and small battery of the Powabyke X doesn't really compete with the Cytronex. It's much heavier and the motor is a ten year old brush design, heavy, higher drag and a bit noisy. It also gets nowhere near on range either if A to B's test is anything to go by.

I doubt if Powabyke will be bothered though, since they'll probably sell dozens of them through their dealers for every Cytronex sold.

C

Cyclezee

I don't think in customers hands though.
I got my wave frame on 28/11/2007:p The Agattu has to be included in the 2008 model year. 2009 Kalkhoff models are now on their website with some now appearing on the 50cycles site.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I got my wave frame on 28/11/2007:p I think the Agattu has to be included in the 2008 model year. 2009 Kalkhoff models are now on their website with some now appearing on the 50cycles site.

I got the test one just before you John, but I had an idea that you had bought yours very early. I think you'll agree that you haven't been a mainstream buyer of e-bikes though, very much an early adopter on some occasions.

I just recommended another member to look at one of the 2009 Kalkhoffs, but that forthcoming possible bike of the year for 2009 that I mentioned is from another stable.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
I'd go for the Cytronex. The first successful application of the Tongxin motor to a mass-produced bike, with no reliability issues noted. Also the best-looking electric bike, and a bike which targets a new segment - fit cyclists who want a bit of help on hills.

In second place would be the new Powabyke, which I don't think should be compared to the Cytronex as they are targeting on different segments and happen to have arrived at the same battery mountin position for different reasons, for bringing decent electric bike quality and style to the mass-market a competitive price.

I'd put the Wisper 905se in at third - only I know it came out last year because John and I bought ours back then! I think it is the best all round hub motor bike on the market at the moment, with Ezee having lost its way a bit.

The Agattu doesn't get into my top three because, although an excellent bike and probably the best all-round crank drive bike, is not that much better than the Gazelle, which beat it to market, and those which have come out since (which AtoB seems to have virtually every edition!). I don't think it would leave a gap in the market the way that the other two might. The Pro-Connect doesn't get in either as I can't work out what it is for!

Special mention for battery breakthrough of the year goes to Li Ping for bringing a new technology to market, providing great support and customer satisfaction.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Agattu doesn't get into my top three because, although an excellent bike and probably the best all-round crank drive bike, is not that much better than the Gazelle, which beat it to market, and those which have come out since.
I included price in my assessment Frank, as I did at the time of my test. Also the earlier introduction of the Gazelle was the previous year's 8 Ah Panasonic unit, the 2008 much improved models arriving many months later than the Agattu.

Currently:

Gazelle Easy Glider £1599

Kalkhoff Agattu £1295

Last edited:

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
I've no doubt the Agattu is the better all-round package (including price), but the Gazelle came out first, when there were no other crank-drive bikes around - other than second hand Lafrees which were being bidded up to £900 on eBay! Hence I believe it, not the Agattu, did the most to provide the market with more choice. The Agattu then added incrementally on top of that.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Reminds me of Peckermans " The Best Electric Bike????" thread earlier this year - largely because I read it for the first time last night and it had me in stitches.. :D I think the Wisper won!

Anyway best bike of 2008: Got to vote Cytronex Trek. Not the best bike for everyone but if the spec suits your needs and they're selling it's brilliant.

PS. How about a Best thread of 2008 next week.:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I take your point Frank, it was indeed the first to introduce the choice, but I don't think there's any comparison between the Agattu and that first Easy Glider. The latter had a lower power unit, no high power mode either to help with it's greater weight, and a very poor range for it's 8Ah, reported as 19 miles by A to B who otherwise liked it's style.

The far greater efficiency of the Agattu put it in a different league, a 35 mile range, a more powerful unit in standard mode and a high power mode as well, all at a very much lower price both at the time and ever since.

Last edited:

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Also how about that Recumbent built by Jeremy. Great looking e-bike. :cool:

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Or Blew-its High plains drifter, customised Mistral, with its 60 mile range.

C

Cyclezee

May I suggest that you only choose one based on your own personal preferences.
The criteria could be value for money, reliability, performance and aesthetics.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008

I'm nominating the Cytronex Trek then.
Value for money 5 stars
Reliability (so far) 5 Stars
Performance - for what it was designed to do & within "on road" legal limits 5 stars
Aesthetics - Best looking Electric Bike I've seen - 5 Stars

PS. Maybe it would be fairer and be a bit more structured if there were 4 different categories.
I was thinking the 3 categories Flecc proposed when he suggested the Cytronex was the 3rd type (can't remember what they were now) and a self built bike category. Then maybe Russ could do one of those of thos polls so we can all vote.
Also I'm sure that many people would consider the Agattu, Pro Connect and Wisper 905SE to be 2008 bikes. :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I was thinking the 3 categories Flecc proposed when he suggested the Cytronex was the 3rd type (can't remember what they were now)
Just two, the Agattu, but if not allowed as being 2007, the Cytronex Trek. I placed the Agattu first since it's appeal is so wide in comparison to the Cytronex, but if it was an innovation competition, the Cytronex would have to win hands down, for the motor application, the battery and the unique control system.

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Well for me the no1 has to be the agattu:D Boy this is a lovely bike to ride so solid and smooth i feel good just sat on it a very happy electric biker:) nigel.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I think we are heading towards a three class e-bike future.

1) The motor vehicle replacement, quite powerful hub motors with throttle control where legal, and forming the majority of the sales.

2) The more bicycle like assisted cycling class, typified by those with the Panasonic motors and arguably usually including the Sparta and BionX direct drive sophisticated machines. These have a utility and general use bias, from shopping to commuting to leisure riding.

3) The pure bicycle with a degree of hill climb assistance, very light with limited motor power and battery weight, bringing more civilised physical conditions to sport style cycling. The Cytronex is one of these, and the failed original Diavelo/Schwinn designs were intended to be.

Flecc - I think these were the 3 types of category I was referring to. The Cytronex & the Powabyke X-6 being examples of 2008 Category 3s.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Barnowl, understood now. :) I thought you were referring to my first post in this thread.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007

I would be very interested in your own top three bikes of all time john,you have probably owned more than anybody else on the forum,and you have already sold what are being touted as the best of 2008.