E-bike prejudice?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Obviously blinkered. Some additional reasons for using an e-bike:

Coping with very hilly territory without excessive strain.

Commuting without arriving in a sweat.

Riding about on business while staying presentable.

Carrying utility loads like heavy shopping etc.

Towing a trailer with goods or a kid or two.

Barry Heaven

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Obviously blinkered. Some additional reasons for using an e-bike:

Coping with very hilly territory without excessive strain.

Commuting without arriving in a sweat.

Riding about on business while staying presentable.

Carrying utility loads like heavy shopping etc.

Towing a trailer with goods or a kid or two.
A good list Flecc. For myself I would say it makes a commute to the office possible that would not be practical with a bicycle. I do wonder why e-bikes attract such prejudice. It is just another mode of transport that has the advantages of being legally a cycle with power assist. Offends the competitive spirit of some cyclists I guess.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I do wonder why e-bikes attract such prejudice.
I've never been sure, but I think many cyclists perceive cycling as macho and reflecting their physical ability. Using a motor to help threatens that cycling image for anyone with such a view.

It's the opposite of motorcycling where it's "look at the size of my motor!" :D

Barry Heaven

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
I've never been sure, but I think many cyclists perceive cycling as macho and reflecting their physical ability. Using a motor to help threatens that cycling image for anyone with such a view.
I think that is a large part of it. There are also those who see cycling as 'pure' and any form of engine pollutes that purity.

Not sure if this counts as pure!: Don't Get In The Way Of The Monsterbike : TreeHugger

Last edited:

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
I must admit, i get a little tired of explaining the benefits to people who are obviously blinkered to something (or anything ) they don't understand.
Cyclists seem to be on some sort of mission pushing themselves to get faster and fitter. That, it would seem is their motivation.
Whereas, i just want an alternative to motorised (taxed) transport.

Oh yes...of course it's fun as well:)

motocyclist envy

It's the opposite of motorcycling where it's "look at the size of my motor!" :D
Having been a motorcyclist in NZ and the UK for Quite Some Time, I think you've hit the nail on the head. Amongst the motorcycling community there are exactly the same sets of cliques - Harley riders (big enjins) v. squiddly sportsters (scratched kneepads) v. tourers (ironbutts) v. scooter riders (hi ace!)

And on it goes. As a new entrant, we have to take our knocks, go through the hazing, and wait for the next new boy to take the spleen. Or we can just go back the hassling the fixie riders.

Anton.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I love the comments below the article. He certainly gets an absolute thrashing. :D

You have to ride one to understand what it's all about.

arkwright

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 9, 2010
Having been a motorcyclist in NZ and the UK for Quite Some Time, I think you've hit the nail on the head. Amongst the motorcycling community there are exactly the same sets of cliques - Harley riders (big enjins) v. squiddly sportsters (scratched kneepads) v. tourers (ironbutts) v. scooter riders (hi ace!)

And on it goes. As a new entrant, we have to take our knocks, go through the hazing, and wait for the next new boy to take the spleen. Or we can just go back the hassling the fixie riders.

Anton.
My sentiments exactly.

If you enjoy doing something it doesn't matter what other people think.

Whatever you drive or ride you'll always get people moaning about some aspect of it.....they need to get a life imo:rolleyes:

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
West Hampstead, NW London
My sentiments exactly.

If you enjoy doing something it doesn't matter what other people think.

Whatever you drive or ride you'll always get people moaning about some aspect of it.....they need to get a life imo:rolleyes:
Spot on- who really cares what others think? I get few comments and the occasional "that's cheating", but retort "so?".:( :D

Car drivers and motorcyclists and cyclists all have their own snobbery. Maybe ebikers do too, or will, but we're so few we're more supportive.

Short answer is do what you like if you're not actually harming others:p .

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
another thing that contributes to prejudice is the "look" of your bike.

i'll take a bike snob perspective here: many of the "poor visual clues" about many "dorky"/"uncool" e-bikes are the same for non e-bikes: bike clutter (stands, bells, mudguards, too many reflectors, mirrors and other paraphernalia), upright "novice rider" position and a few other clues.

apart from the battery and hub my bikes seems to have the "look" so called serious riders like: large seat to handlebar drop, clean lines, high-end components. I personally prefer this look but equally don't mind the "commuter look"; its just that many roadies do so i get few negative comments mainly interest and request for a test ride!

BionX Canondale

tex

androo4519

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 15, 2009
Car drivers are the worst

When I mention to people that I'm getting an electric bike, it's always my car-driving friends (the ones who don't go anywhere they can't go in their car) who are first say, "But isn't that lazy?"

Excuse me? And when did you last get on a bike, or even walk further than from the house to your car?

It's like they think I should always be getting excercise because I'm on a bike. Sometimes, bizarrely enough, I just WAN'T TO GO SOMEWHERE. If I'm making a meal, let's say, and realise I've run out of xyz, I don't think to myself, must get some EXCERCISE... No, I just want to get to the shop and back quickly and easily.

If I could drive I'd probably go in the car, admittedly, but I can't, so why shouldn't I have a bike that makes basic A to B transport easier?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Another aspect of the "cheating" accusation I've thought of is that perhaps people mostly view cycling as an exercise pursuit.

After all, if someone put a motor on their indoor exercise machine we'd all call that cheating. :)

HittheroadJ

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2010
Northern Ireland, BT1
Someone did not like my cheating.

The other day we arrived home to discover that my da-in-law's folder had been nicked while we were out. A 75 year old on a small pension will feel the bite, even if it concerned only an old steel folder.

I hopped on my heavy eBike (Meerkat) and thought I would have a look around the neighbourhood. About half a mile from home I spotted a group of boys walking on the pavement, and 1 of them on a bike I immediately recognised (I have done maintenance on it).

Unfortunately they spotted me fairly early on and the one on the bike took off with a headstart racing through small sidestreets with some descents and quick turns. I pursued in throttle mode. He did manage to accellerate away from me (the small wheels helped him there), but I would soon gain until the next quick manouvre. He soon turned into a fairly steep uphill street and when he saw me gaining he dropped the bike and ran off.

I lifted the bike onto the front and drove it home, confident that I would probably not have made it so easily on a normal bike.

Sometimes it pays to cheat and makes you feel good too.

Last edited:

HittheroadJ

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2010
Northern Ireland, BT1
Interesting. What is the "preferred traditional Dutch style" to one can be "dorky"/"uncool" ... "upright 'novice rider' position" to the other.

I do hope that this thread is about diversity, respecting different preferences and choices, rather than about believing in one's own cool & serious riderness to the extent that others can be called names.

cheers

another thing that contributes to prejudice is the "look" of your bike.

i'll take a bike snob perspective here: many of the "poor visual clues" about many "dorky"/"uncool" e-bikes are the same for non e-bikes: bike clutter (stands, bells, mudguards, too many reflectors, mirrors and other paraphernalia), upright "novice rider" position and a few other clues.

apart from the battery and hub my bikes seems to have the "look" so called serious riders like: large seat to handlebar drop, clean lines, high-end components. I personally prefer this look but equally don't mind the "commuter look"; its just that many roadies do so i get few negative comments mainly interest and request for a test ride!

BionX Canondale

tex

thunderblue

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2009
Manchester
Hi HitthroadJ

nothing so creative ... blue is my favourite colour, and it is usually taken as a name. It just happened to be thundering when I joined, when I was trying to think of blue 'something' and there you have it ... :eek:

Thanks Thunderblue.

Is your name related to Blue Thunder? r have you not resorted to that much high-tec yet?

cheers.