E-Bike suitable for towing Special Needs Trailer

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
why i said he will want a bigger front sprocket as 14t tiny he just be spinning the peddles with no gears left over 15mph.

with a dongle he will leave them for dust on the flat tho no way they could keep up and also risk ripping the trailer off the frame so not much point tbh.

Reactions: trex

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Probably not traveling any faster! Just a lot less work involved getting uphill, otherwise my wife & 9 year old daughter won't see me for dust lol
I understand what you mean, but once you experience the power, the betting is that you will use it and end up climbing much faster than you did on pedal power alone.

It will certainly be a lot less work, since the Bosch can put out up to three times a fit average rider's power.

-Bucks-

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2016
North Yorkshire, U.K.
I understand what you mean, but once you experience the power, the betting is that you will use it and end up climbing much faster than you did on pedal power alone.

It will certainly be a lot less work, since the Bosch can put out up to three times a fit average rider's power.
I wouldn't call myself a fit rider LOL as I have my own health problems :-( but I had been managing :)

Reactions: flecc

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The Cube/Bosch bike will be just the job.

There is no evidence that quality crank drives, such as the the Bosch, are particularly hard on transmissions.

There is some evidence some of the less refined Chinese crank drives are.

Some mechanical empathy will be required, changing gear on a steep bank on full CX power will produce some clunking and scraping.

So you ride it like an ordinary bike, avoiding changing gear under significant load if possible.

Chains, sprockets and chain rings - even Bosch ones - are not expensive.

But I doubt you will be buying any of them very often.

Reactions: -Bucks-

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The Cube/Bosch bike will be just the job.
Sorry RobF too disagree with you. Using this bike to pull a large and heavy trailer is like using a Porsche Carrera for London taxis.

-Bucks-

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2016
North Yorkshire, U.K.
Sorry RobF too disagree with you. Using this bike to pull a large and heavy trailer is like using a Porsche Carrera for London taxis.
Well we will soon find out lol, besides it's not to pull a large heavy trailer! It's to "help me" pull a large heavy trailer!!! anyway I know I stated a large heavy trailer but not sure if is actually a large heavy trailer! I tows quite nicely apart from its hard work up large hills Despite that I often get to the top of most hills towing the trailer & my wife is having to push her bike & that's with no trailer lol, I may be fecked for the rest of the day though lol

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Give me a Porsche Carrera and I'll leave my e-bike at home!
I am sure you will enjoy riding your new bike!

-Bucks-

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2016
North Yorkshire, U.K.
THANKS Everyone for all your help & advice it's much appreciated :)
I'm no bike expert! But I will keep this post updated on how we get on with this bike "helping" to tow the trailer in case anyone else is interested!
Just hoping Trex doesn't get the opportunity to say "I told you so" LOL

All your input is also really apreciated Trex, Sorry I just didn't like the look & extra weight of the whoosh bikes :-(

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
All your input is also really apreciated Trex, Sorry I just didn't like the look & extra weight of the whoosh bikes :-(
This is my current bike:

and this is the bike I am working on:

Hope they are not boring bikes!

-Bucks-

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2016
North Yorkshire, U.K.
I like the look of the top one, but not the bottom one!

Edit: That's just my opinion & I ain't no bike expert! Just like to get out into the countryside with the family on the bikes! Mainly for our youngest daughters sake, as there are a lot of things we can't do due to our eldest health problems & disabilities!

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I will have to figure out how to add a few photos!
Two ways.

First position the cursor where you want the photo to appear, then:

Click the "Upload a File" button next to the "Post Reply" button and then navigate to your photo and make the choice offered. The photo needs to be a *jpg or *jpeg or similar and not too huge a file.

Second way from a website: In the reply box, click the "Mountain Scene" button next to the Smiley in the icons above the typing area. Then enter the URL.

In both cases the photo will appear where you last left the cursor.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You need power not speed, you have made the right choice. You will have a small learning curve - the secret is use your gears don't let the motor bog down. As an experienced rider you will quickly get the hang of it.

And the fun bit is going to be when you get it out on your own without the trailer and you start thrashing it on really difficult terrain just for the hell of it :)

-Bucks-

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2016
North Yorkshire, U.K.
Two ways.

First position the cursor where you want the photo to appear, then:

Click the "Upload a File" button next to the "Post Reply" button and then navigate to your photo and make the choice offered. The photo needs to be a *jpg or *jpeg or similar and not too huge a file.

Second way from a website: In the reply box, click the "Mountain Scene" button next to the Smiley in the icons above the typing area. Then enter the URL.

In both cases the photo will appear where you last left the cursor.
Thanks for that but all my photos are on the iPhone/iPad! Do I need to upload them to something like photobox etc?

-Bucks-

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2016
North Yorkshire, U.K.
You need power not speed, you have made the right choice. You will have a small learning curve - the secret is use your gears don't let the motor bog down. As an experienced rider you will quickly get the hang of it.

And the fun bit is going to be when you get it out on your own without the trailer and you start thrashing it on really difficult terrain just for the hell of it :)
Thanks for the tips! I defiantly not what I would call a experienced rider lol I probably don't even understand or know how to use gears properly! Hoping it might be a bit easier on this bike with it only having one set of gears!!
I would love to be able to do that but with over 30 years of hard work gardening & landscaping I have a dodgy back, knees & neck/spine :-(