e-bike that look like a normal bike

Random Joe

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 14, 2017
london
I was looking for an ebike that look like a normal bike and use like a normal bike. Here are couple options:
1). ampler bike https://amplerbikes.com/
2). vanmoof bike https://www.vanmoof.com
3). gtech bike http://www.gtech.co.uk/ebike.html
4). aerobike https://www.aero-bike.co.uk

I like ampler bike most but cost most... I went for the cheapest option which is aerobike. Here is my experience:

I was worried that front wheel drive will be unstable when start up. Actual use shows okay. No such problem! The down side of aero bike is it took 1.5 second before motor kick in. A bit slow... Some said it's safety design.

The SRAM Automatix gear is pretty cool. Compare to other 1 gear options, this is good to add extra speed when riding. Down side is it may stay at high gear sometimes. At traffic light, the high gear problem combine with slow motor kick in, it's really straggle to pull out from other bikers.

Nevertheless, I still think it is worth of money.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I vote for the vanmoof.

Random Joe

Jun 14, 2017
london
I vote for the vanmoof.
Vanmoof is almost like aerobike to me. Both front wheel drive motor. Both use SRAM automatic gear. Well, the app and the interface is better, the battery is hidden... but does it worth the extra £££?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
but does it worth the extra £££?
none of them does.
(when compared to my bikes).;)

I like the clean lines and good finish of the vanmoof though.

Random Joe

Jun 14, 2017
london
I spotted a gtech on the road the other day and you'd be hard pushed to know it was electric if you didn't know what to look for.
I found it's easy to spot ebike or not, just look at the wheel hub. Much bigger compare to normal push bike

D

Deleted member 4366

The down side of aero bike is it took 1.5 second before motor kick in. A bit slow... Some said it's safety design.
That's not a safety feature. It's just a crappy old-fashioned motor controller and a faux-pas by the designers because there's modern controllers that give instant start up and cut-off from a normal pedal sensor. It's a shame to spoil an otherwise good bike like that.

• Agree

Random Joe

Jun 14, 2017
london
That's not a safety feature. It's just a crappy old-fashioned motor controller and a faux-pas by the designers because there's modern controllers that give instant start up and cut-off from a normal pedal sensor. It's a shame to spoil an otherwise good bike like that.
Good to know the truth. Thanks.

Still not regret for this option because it is much cheaper compare to others. Also, it's okay for me to push harder at start. I want to exercise anyway.

However, if I win lottery... even if it's small prize, I will choose better one.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Reactions: Izzyekerslike

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yeah but it is the only one that looks like a normal bike and 15kg ;)

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Mine looks like a normal touring bike with a gps on the handlebars (its not though!!).

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Yes,12S 32Ah in one side and 14S 32Ah in the other so good for at least 120 miles.
BBSHD fitted with 46T x 12T-36T gearing so good for 34Mph and not found a hill it wont go up.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
D

Deleted member 4366

Good to know the truth. Thanks.

Still not regret for this option because it is much cheaper compare to others. Also, it's okay for me to push harder at start. I want to exercise anyway.

However, if I win lottery... even if it's small prize, I will choose better one.
Yes, it's not the end of the world. My first ebike had a delay of about 2 seconds and ran on for about 2 seconds after I stopped pedalling, but I still loved it and did thousands of happy miles on it.