E-Bikes on Strava

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I used Strava when i didn't have an e-bike. The motivation to use with friends / road bike club members wore off after a year or so of being too competitive with each other and striving for times / KOM's.
Thank god i don't use it anymore and just go out and enjoy your ride. There's always someone younger, fitter and too many variables to get excited about KOM's.
Just saying!

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I used Strava when i didn't have an e-bike. The motivation to use with friends / road bike club members wore off after a year or so of being too competitive with each other and striving for times / KOM's.
Thank god i don't use it anymore and just go out and enjoy your ride. There's always someone younger, fitter and too many variables to get excited about KOM's.
Just saying!
I kind of agree with that, and just use Strava to keep record and to keep in touch with friends and to see where they have ridden. Too many people seem to let Strava rule their rides.

Ebike segments/KOM's are also just a waste of time given the variables of ebike being used.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My only new year res was to give Strava the heave ho for at least this year.

Reactions: LeighPing

Big Malky

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2015
Hear hear. I deal with numbers all day at work. I have no strada or computers on my bike. Just enjoy the fresh air and exercise.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I dont bother with KOMs either but like to be able to track my rides and see how my fitness improves as summer gets nearer!
I pedal as much as I can.
I do like to try and get more distance though and my record so far is 102 miles in 5.5 hours.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I can see why most think Strava is a KOM/Competition thing, but it offers so much more.
My personal circumstances mean that I cant be away from home for long and it would be so easy for me to just not bother with any form of exercise so as well as keeping a running total of both my bikes distance travelled I can use my premium membership to set weekly and yearly goals and Strava tracks them automatically..
Mine is set for walking 10 miles and cycle 50 miles per week or 500 and 2600 yearly. (a bit of leeway in the yearly target) and this gives me some incentive to get off my bum.
Another aspect of Strava is the ability to download and follow someone else's ride, not necessarily to go faster but to explore new on/off road routes and trails.
There are heat maps that show well travelled on/off road routes, cos not everyone is a trail blazer.
You cam easily map a ride on a PC which will show distance and elevation to climb with an approximate riding time which can be followed on a compatible device.
When riding and walking I generally go as fast as I can because this is what I want to do, if anyone overtakes me I try to keep up for as long as I can because thats what I want to do. I dont do massive ebike overtakes on hills, I slow down a bit and not make a point of it because thats what I want to do.
I see plenty of old men tootling about enjoying the view,probably because thats what they want to do.
So for me Strava has a lot to offer, as do the other cycling apps..

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
I'm new to Strava and only discovered it through this site, but over the last few weeks I've had a few "public" rides that have gained me KOMs locally...this has prompted messages from the no-pain-no-gain brigade, not all of them complimentary;)
Mine are now changed to ebike/private ride and like a few here, I'll keep it for my own record...oh, and there's no other ebike rides showing on my routes up int' thills locally, hopefully it'll grow as I keep seeing more ebikes out there.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I agree about using Strava for your own records. At one point i was a premium member, but in truth for me it wasn't worth paying (all be it not a lot) for the additions premium gives you.
I will use my cycle pc or Garmin with OSM maps in future.

• Useful

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I dont bother with KOMs either but like to be able to track my rides and see how my fitness improves as summer gets nearer!
I pedal as much as I can.
I do like to try and get more distance though and my record so far is 102 miles in 5.5 hours.
Shame there is no kudos button.
I took around 7 hours for similar range you speedy chappie

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I agree about using Strava for your own records. At one point i was a premium member, but in truth for me it wasn't worth paying (all be it not a lot) for the additions premium gives you.
I will use my cycle pc or Garmin with OSM maps in future.
I find this so amusing.. At my expense I might add. I signed up for the free trial and forgot to cancel so they billed me for the year ..
And, its the second time I have done this.. The last time I went on Monthly which I cancelled after a few months but somehow it changed to yearly .. As you say its not a lot which is why they give the free trial..:(

JohnnyGM7LSI

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
Elgin Moray
I just joined the Strava Electric Bike Club too, I`ve used Strava for a few years, I wondered about the E-Bike thing, and how long it would take for one of the locals to mention it, nobody yet, I just use it to log my rides and see what I do each week.

Johnny Stuart, 4th

Last edited:
Reactions: Kinninvie

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I just joined the Strava Electric Bike Club too, I`ve used Strava for a few years, I wondered about the E-Bike thing, and how long it would take for one of the locals to mention it, nobody yet, I just use it to log my rides and see what I do each week.

Johnny Stuart, 4th
Welcome aboard..that's 72 members now..

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Well we are now up to 99 members!
Who is going to be number 100?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Eddie,
I'm not sure getting personal or highlighting errors of judgement is helpful, just saying.

IMHO, when it comes to Strava and KOMS, whether it is an e-bike or not the variables are still high making them pointless i.e weather, wind, bike weight, road conditions, wheel size, riding alone or in a group, fresh just to try and beat that KOM etc etc etc. I could go on.
I no longer use Strava after many years, but appreciate its one of many apps to assist with your own performance, but of little or no significance vs others.

I now enjoy cycling for me and don't care what others do. Getting off my soap box now.
but there is a ebike option mind ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

it can do 20 miles at that speed ;) and you can buy it.

rich_r

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2017
North Yorkshire
I use Strava, and have created a new bike for the one that's got the 250W motor on it. The problem is that it's screwing all my personal bests that I've set on my non-powered bike. I prefer riding that bike as it's a nice Specialized hybrid with front suspension and 700c wheels, whereas the one that I converted is a heavy cheap non-suspension women's mountain bike (ie it's my wife's).

I can't see any way to keep the two separate - other than setting up a different account.

EDIT - found the setting ;) Obvious really that it's a different activity rather than simply a different bike! So I'm just going to edit the rides where I used the bike with the motor on it and hopefully everything will sort itself out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kinninvie

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I use Strava, and have created a new bike for the one that's got the 250W motor on it. The problem is that it's screwing all my personal bests that I've set on my non-powered bike. I prefer riding that bike as it's a nice Specialized hybrid with front suspension and 700c wheels, whereas the one that I converted is a heavy cheap non-suspension women's mountain bike (ie it's my wife's).

I can't see any way to keep the two separate - other than setting up a different account.

EDIT - found the setting ;) Obvious really that it's a different activity rather than simply a different bike! So I'm just going to edit the rides where I used the bike with the motor on it and hopefully everything will sort itself out.
As you found out you have to change the ride type to ebike so as not to interfere with the unpowered pb's and leader tables.
PS,we are up to 101 members now....

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
As you found out you have to change the ride type to ebike so as not to interfere with the unpowered pb's and leader tables.
PS,we are up to 101 members now....
Here is a tip.. in settings make your default to all rides private , then when you edit to ebike ride you can uncheck the private box at the same time making it public. That way you van easily see that any rides in your feed that are private have not been changed..