E-Biking, Doing It The Greek Way!

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
E-BIKING, DOING IT THE GREEK WAY!

I have a love affair with the Ionian Islands, the group of Greek Islands nearest to the UK. These islands are about 100 miles from top to toe, they are green and lush (it sometimes rains).

The northernmost island is Corfu and the southernmost is Zakynthos, with Levkada, Meganissi, Ithaka and Kefalonia in the middle.

The islands could have been designed for biking with wonderful seaside roads and lovely small coves, usually with a welcoming taverna. However, to access these roads it is often necessary to climb mountain style hairpin bends which is ideal for the e-bike.

The islands of Meganissi and Ithaka are just made for e-biking, we use two Kudos Secret bikes to tour the islands on Meganissi, the climb up to the village of Spartahori is a slog walking, but the e-bikes make it a delight.

Spartahori

The village of Vathy is probably most people’s idea of the sleepy Greek haven, but it is actually has some lovely restaurants.

Vathy

It is possible to cycle all round the island of Meganissi, most of the roads are metalled, basing a holiday at the Meganissi Hotel at Katomeri.

The island of Ithaka, famous in Homer’s Odyssey has one of the most dramatic bike rides, from the capital ‘Big Vathy’ the panoramic road parallels the channel between Ithaka and Kefalonia to the village of Stavros, then the mountain road via the village of Anogi, which probably hasn’t changed much in 500 years.

This was a good test of our small wheeled (20”) Kudos Secret bikes, I am 105kgs, not especially fit, but the SWX motor pulled me up those climbs, I will admit to using bottom gear and wobbling a bit on the steepest bits, but never pushed the bike at any time. My son, 35 years younger, 30kgs lighter and a lot fitter, described the bikes as effortless.

Sometimes the riders needed a refuel

The Secret bike weighs 18kgs, but carrying it across the gangway from boat to shore is a balancing act. It would have been inevitable that I and the bike would have gone for an unplanned swim. So we built a storage cradle to lift both bikes using the boat’s crane, I can supply drawings if helpful.

Without the e-bikes we normally hired a car at each island, but they provide easy and alternative transport, extending our range beyond walking.

If you really want to be green, this boat is a hybrid, I am advised 70% solar, 30% diesel.

My own boat is fully displacement with low rev Cummins, in boat terms it is very economical.

Obviously moving between the islands is very convenient if you have your own boat, but all these islands are well served by ferry boats – the largest are cross Channel ferry size down to 20 person water taxis, but all take bikes. All the islands have good hotels or B&B accommodation, the Greeks are generally very hospital people and good fun.

I have found very economical ways to fly to these islands which I would gladly communicate on request.

The ‘boss’ testing his own product.

Does my bum look big on this!

I borrowed a Kudos Tornado from my Greek dealer baked in Levkas, it was a good bike to climb the 800mtrs up to the monastery at the back of Levkas, the BPM motored hub drive is one of the best hill climbers around. But all these e-bikes are a compromise, it would be difficult to store on the boat and the little Secret bikes seem to do the job almost as well.

The Greek dealer would, I am sure, be willing to hire the bikes upon forward request.

Of course, if you want to do it in style....

Note the side door to unload the e-bikes!

Hope this is of interest.

KudosDave

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nice report on a wonderful area Dave, they can keep the "green" boat and the "supertanker", I prefer yours, big enough to be a practical ocean-goer but small enough to be adaptable to most circumstances.

Those Secret e-bike models are ideally compact for on-boat cruising.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
A pedelecs member asked me how to do such an e-bike holiday but on a limited budget.
Ryanair and Easyjet both fly to Corfu and Kefalonia, time it right and it's about £100 return. There is a new Crete airline that flies between the islands,called Sky Express,they charge 50 euros per flight-the airline uses 27 seat prop planes,I love using them a real adventure back to prop flying.
It's possible to b&b in any of the islands for about 25 euros per night,a good meal with wine is only 15 euros (for some reason it's cheaper to eat out than buy food at the supermarket)and the ferry costs are about 5-8 euros,the bike is free.
Despite all the austerity measures Greece is still an inexpensive country,there seems to be two economies that of Athens,which is suffering,and that of the islands,which seems unaffected and relatively prosperous.
KudosDave

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I'm not at all jealous, no, not at all. I mean, I live near a harbour, ok, it's filled with oil tankers and cargo boats but I live near hills too. It's warmish here and we have cafés although you don't sit outside much at this time of the year. OK, I'm jealous. ;)

I do, however, have 2 Kudos bikes so life's not too bad up here. :)

Nice story and pics Dave.

Reactions: flecc