e Day has finally arrived.

Kill-e-flyer

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 10, 2017
Wiltshire
I don't know anyone personally that thinks owning an e bike or building one is a good thing. I just needed to tell someone that I have just bought a mid drive kit and intend fitting it to my full suspension mountain bike. This forum seemed like the best place to announce my imminent project as it has been a great source of information for me and a place that I may get some encouragement and a positive response. Wish me luck, if you like.

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Hi mate. I'm new. Just ordered my first. So I can't make any technical comment. However, I only know two people that ride. They have a big 4 by 4 and go on MTB holidays etc with multiple bike. That couple aside everyone else I know has left bikes alone since childhood.

Kill-e-flyer

Jan 10, 2017
Wiltshire
Just waiting for a few bits and bobs to arrive and oops.....finish the kitchen!! Oh did I forget to mention that my wife is blissfully unaware of my other project. Hope to post progress and pictures in due course.

Reactions: chris130256

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
And the kit is ?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Welcome they are good for many people, please enjoy.
What bike and kit?

Kill-e-flyer

Jan 10, 2017
Wiltshire
After a year of deliberation, indecision, confusion and numerous YouTube videos and forums I plumped for, you guessed it a Bafang 36v BBS02. Not the best but arguably the most popular mid drive on the market. I will be strapping it to my Saracen killyflyer full suspension bike, an overweight tank of a bike that needs more than just my spindly legs to carry it around the trails. I can just hear my mate muttering, " what a whimp". I'm going to carry a battery in my back pack so hopefully he won't know as I fly past him on the climbs.

Last edited:

Kill-e-flyer

Jan 10, 2017
Wiltshire
Before I start to fit my new kit to the bike I thought I would power up the system and check it over. I`ll also be adding some extra Mobil 28 to the final drive. Any other tips before fitting would be much appreciated.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Make sure you have a dremmel handy. The bottom bracket may need clearing out as it often has some excess metal that interferes with the new kit.
And a gear puller to take the old cranks off too.

Kill-e-flyer

Jan 10, 2017
Wiltshire
Thanks for that D8ve, I new that dremmel would come in useful one day! Slightly concerned about tightening the locking ring up to 45Nm to drive the toothed plate into the frame, seems a bit brutal. I'm sure there's a more technical way of doing it.

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Don't worry about the torque setting on the lockring, a Hollowtech BB has to be torqued to 40-60Nm. Make sure you recheck it after a couple of shakedown rides as they invariable loosen as everything settles...and good luck with your build:cool:

Reactions: Kill-e-flyer

Kill-e-flyer

Jan 10, 2017
Wiltshire
Nice one Steve UKLSRA. Does tightening up that amount drive the teeth fully home or does the plate sit off slightly? I did consider filing some very small grooves to help them bite in easier. Ideally a would like the plate to sit totally flush against the BB face.

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
The plate will sit flush once the steel "tangs" bite into the BB, you can just about see how it cuts into the alloy below...

DSC_0054-1.jpg

Handy Hint...Make sure you have the two M6 bolts loosely in place as you tighten the M33 nut to stop it rotating, otherwise you'll struggle getting them in;)

Reactions: Kill-e-flyer

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Welcome to the eventual addiction that is e-biking. Whereabout in Wiltshire are you based? Anywhere near where I'm located in Westbury?

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Hope to be hurtling around Salisbury and the Plain once the machine is up and running. Within the speed limit obviously!
I rode the Imber Range perimeter path a couple of years ago (around 50 miles if I remember correctly) and very much enjoyed it. If I claimed I obeyed the speed limit though, I'd be lying.

I want to do the White Horse challenge at some point (visit all of Wiltshire's white horses in a single day - about 90 miles), but can never seem to find the time. Maybe once the weather gets a little milder perhaps...

Reactions: LeighPing

Kill-e-flyer

Jan 10, 2017
Wiltshire
Not sure how much information to divulge but hopefully my bike will be "adequately" powered to get me around at a "reasonable" speed. Are there any e spies on here?