East Sussex Calling

Woodnut

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 6, 2017
East Sussex
Hello all.
My wife and I have been intermittent riders of road bikes for longer than I care to remember. A combination of advancing years and a move to our current home which is in one of the hilliest areas of Sussex had meant we were riding less and when we were seemed to spend half the time walking the bikes up steep gradients rather than in the saddle.
Until last April..
We purchased a Powabyke X bike each, a revelation. Spent this summer cycling more than we have for years. We try and use the battery sparingly, mainly to get up those hills, on the flat we try and ride unassisted though at times particularly at the end of a ride, a bit of assistance is appreciated.As a result we seem to get far more out of the battery than the handbook suggests.
Early days but one observation. The brakes aren't quite up to the task with the extra weight we have rim brakes, but have had to upgrade the brake blocks to make me feel secure with the stopping distance, I can see why many e bikes have disc brakes.
Would be interested to know if there are many other Powabyke riders in these Forums.

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
Hello all.
My wife and I have been intermittent riders of road bikes for longer than I care to remember. A combination of advancing years and a move to our current home which is in one of the hilliest areas of Sussex had meant we were riding less and when we were seemed to spend half the time walking the bikes up steep gradients rather than in the saddle.
Until last April..
We purchased a Powabyke X bike each, a revelation. Spent this summer cycling more than we have for years. We try and use the battery sparingly, mainly to get up those hills, on the flat we try and ride unassisted though at times particularly at the end of a ride, a bit of assistance is appreciated.As a result we seem to get far more out of the battery than the handbook suggests.
Early days but one observation. The brakes aren't quite up to the task with the extra weight we have rim brakes, but have had to upgrade the brake blocks to make me feel secure with the stopping distance, I can see why many e bikes have disc brakes.
Would be interested to know if there are many other Powabyke riders in these Forums.
You can get hydraulic rim brakes but I confess I know nothing about them...

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Woodnut

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 6, 2017
East Sussex
The magura brakes look interesting. The upgrade I have is an improvement, but if long-term I still have problems I will look at this. Thank you both.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have Magura HS33 rear on the Swizzbee and works well, it is a cam/lever operated q r one. Setting up/alignment takes a few minutes of toing and froing but once done appears to need no further adjustment.

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Hello Woodnut - from East Sussex too :)

Gaz