ebike build from scratch

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
Assume you have set the rear mech stops ok? How about B screw? (though to be fair that can be more of an issue at the 11t cog end). Or chain line? Even new cable/ferrules bedding in can be a source of frustration. FWIW I have loads of KMC chains on my bikes and find them pretty good

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
You sometimes get incompatibility issues if you mix and match components. What shifter are you using?
They are Shimano Altus M310 trigger shifters.
You've got me thinking now I wonder if there is any adjustment inside the trigger shifters themselves as gear-1 maybe slightly off.
shifters.jpg

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Assume you have set the rear mech stops ok? How about B screw? (though to be fair that can be more of an issue at the 11t cog end). Or chain line? Even new cable/ferrules bedding in can be a source of frustration. FWIW I have loads of KMC chains on my bikes and find them pretty good
I have allowed that stop so the derailleur goes just past the freewheel a bit. I will try it allowing enough play for the chain to go right past, just to check it's not that. The B screw is all the way in, otherwise the jockey wheel gets a bit too close to the freewheel.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
A closer look at the gears makes me think the 1st gear will be fine when the chain gets worn/used a bit.
The next problem was chain alignment. Chain coming off the single front cog to the outside using gear-8. Changing the bottom bracket spacers around made the chain come off to the inside using gear-1 so put spacers back as recommended and took this guide off my other bike.
DSCN1654.JPG
Now thinking single front gear wasn't the best idea.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Onto the brakes, I have a set of Shimano hydraulic disc brakes M395. I ordered these when on offer but at the time had just serviced my current cable discs so weren't needed straight away so they got placed on top of a cupboard and forgotten about.
IMG_20171208_194925.jpg
I hope these hydraulics are all they are cracked up to be as my current cable discs are pretty good.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I use m395/6 & m446/7 they are very good with resin/organic pads at least on my bikes, I tried sintered but found the performance rubbish. Resin's only last me about 1000 miles and less on the mtb so I buy Chinese cheapies at about £1.06 a pair.

• Useful
Reactions: awol

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Onto the handlebars. I've got a carbon stem and handlebar spare because my current bike (Cannondale) I bought them for use different size stems and parts so never fitted. At least they fit this bike.
DSCN1627.JPG
Brake cutoff reed switched and magnets glues onto the brakes ready.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Got a bit more work done on the handlebars.
DSCN1633.JPG
A vertical LCD6 goes nice in the center with thumb throttle on the left and carbon bar ends to match the carbon handlebars.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Which controller for the Q100H ?
I have a KT 15a or 17a or 20a. Which one at 36v will get the best out of it without damaging it but also may try 44v in the future?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I really like the idea of the 20A controller. Most of the time you can get away with using it at assistance level 4 which is about 444 W with the 44.4v battery. When you really need a big push you have 880 W on tap for a short burst.

IIRC d8veh suggested 17 A max with a 48v battery in another thread.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I really like the idea of the 20A controller. Most of the time you can get away with using it at assistance level 4 which is about 444 W with the 44.4v battery. When you really need a big push you have 880 W on tap for a short burst.

IIRC d8veh suggested 17 A max with a 48v battery in another thread.
I will use the 17a one but being a small motor I will check the motor temp when I first test ride it.
It's getting close now for a proper ride maybe this weekend, there's wires hanging out from all over it at the moment.
The neat wiring is the part I always struggle with but his time I think I've come up with a good solution.

To be continued ..

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
They do look better. Cleaner look for a disc brake bike. How was the quality of the finish?
The finish is pretty good, I degreased first then did 2 coats although I don't know how long lasting it will be against the road dirt and grime yet.

Reactions: malkie0831

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Controller hidden in a drinks bottle. Thanks d8veh for the idea.
DSCN1645.JPG
Nearly there ...

D

Deleted member 4366

Looks like a nice bike, but all we get is a few cryptic photos. Can we see the whole bike please.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Looks like a nice bike, but all we get is a few cryptic photos. Can we see the whole bike please.
Yes, sorry I'm working cramped with little space in the garage and then it's dark in the evenings when I get home so I'll get it outside and post some better maybe finished photo's this weekend when I can hopefully give it a good test ride too.

Last edited: