Ebike comparison

Altop1

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Lincolnshire
Hi as we get used to our ebikes and start using them more and maybe even gaining a better cycling fittness .I often wonder if we spent the same amount of money on a non electrick bike how good a bike could you get and what the differance would be.Or are we maybe slightly spoiling ourselves and get in too a ebike ,bubble, Although if had to buy another bike im sure it would be another ebike.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My bike is my only means of transportation, not a hobby, not a sport, not a leisure. But despite it being a means of transportation it does also cover those aspects of cycling.

I bought a new bike last year for the first time, my first new bike since I was twelve and my uncles bought me that one. It was about the price of a quality e-bike but... it doesn't have a motor (yet). I have been riding it un-powered as a sport to keep me fit. When it gets a motor it will be my main means of leisure transport - I will ride it on weekends and holidays - keeping my pedelec as my round town hack.

D

Deleted member 4366

A good quality road bike is about the same effort to pedal as your average electric bike on level one, so when you can ride everywhere on level one, you can make the change over, which is what I did. I now only use my electric bike for shopping, carrying stuff around and even it's wet (no mudguards on my road bike).

Since using my road bike, my weight has gone right down from 105kg to 77kg, which makes it even easier. A non electric bike also gives you a big incentive to lose weight.

Reactions: Altop1

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
I have three mountain bikes, but I must admit I use my eBike the most.... why...age mostly.

I know there are some very fit older riders out there, but my legs can only climb 8 or 9 miles continuously and then I'm done.

With my eBike I can easily climb hills I wouldn't attempt otherwise. I CAN go out for a 40 mile ride, without worrying about running out of energy.

So basically I can plan a good 30 mile ride way into the hills and back knowing I have the bike to do it on.

Also I can keep up with all the younger guys, who used to have to wait for me all the time.

I can go for several downhill rides in one day one after the other, as getting back up hill is much easier.

Quite simply I haven't had so much fun on a bike for decades.

I still use my full sus non eBike now and again, but more for the really rough stuff.

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
After a full day of deliveries in the South Wales valleys, at my age with my arthritic knee, if I was to try the ride I did after work yesterday, on a non ebike, I doubt I would have made work today. 16 years grinding hills, non ebike, I can now do most of the half day rides as loops without issue.

Altop1

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Lincolnshire
Just asking as my non electrick is about 20 years old and i havnt been on a modern bike and wondered how one would compare to my ebike.

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
modern non ebikes are good, but you get what you pay for. Go for a good frame, you can upgrade as you go. As the the saying goes, you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter, you just get a sparkly turd.
The voodoo range at Halfords are OK, as are the on one range of bikes. Good sales too.
Modern geometry and suspension has come a long way in twenty years.

Dave Y Fenni

Pedelecer
Dec 6, 2017
Y Fenni
I purchased my only eBike in Feb of this year, a folding Volt Metro LS. Reasons being I had both knees replaced last year, can’t get leg over a crossbar, so my non eBike (vintage Specialized Stump jumper comp) is having a break.

I purchased the Metro LS for two reasons, the above (crossbar) and I have a caravan so the Metro folds and travels in the back of the SUV (don’t have to fit a rack).

I tend to ride with the Auto setting rather than a fix power output, this gives me the all-round output, power when needed, less when not!

I haven’t ridden great distances, as the weather has not been good. Hopefully as the months progress and it gets warmer and hopefully dryer, greater distances will be achieved. Planned trips to Anglesey and France, with the Metro in the boot, hopefully some good cycling to be done!

Related Articles

Advertisers