eBike-specific, main battery-powered front light

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
The front light on my Ortler is 15lux, which is fine for being seen, but won't be up to the task of illuminating pitch black cyclepaths in the winter.

What road bike-specific lights does the panel recommend for such a purpose. Please do not recommend stupendously powerful off-road lights that dazzle everyone within a mile of the beam...

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I've just ordered a 80lux B&M light will let you know how it goes in few weeks.

Wifes bike has B&M 30lux. Good be seen light surprisingly effect in day time. OK light for short sections of unlit roads especially if you travelling around 15-20kmh. Not really for higher speeds on unlit roads.
I'd say its equivalent to my cateye 300 lumen light.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
A few things I found while resesrching likes for Bosch drive.

Need cable with bosch connector that plugs into light port on left side of motor. €8 from Bike24. Two ports for front and rear so 2nd cable for taillight. Some front lights have wire coming off them for rear light, saving on 2nd bosch cable, downside is need to run cable alway from front to rear.

Handlebar mount (€11 Bike24) which is compatible with Intuvia display ( can be used without), you will need if for B&M if no mounting hole on top of fork. MTB fork don't have one, most city or trek forks should, typically used to attach mudguard.
Plus side of handlebar mount is less vibration of light, on fork it is attached to unsprung section so bounces with wheel. Maybe issue on rough tracks.

Aliexpress have 40lux german legal light with handle bar and fork mounts for USD15. Still need bosch connector cable. Should OK most city commuters.

Shop should be able to enable light function on drive, just simple SW change but maybe charge.

Some of new bikes (Cubes) come prewired so pull left cover off and check before buying bosch cable.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Thanks for the ideas. My Bosch-powered Ortler already has the wiring in-situ, so I'm hoping any replacement is simply plug & play. I seem to have found a Busch & Muller one and ordered it. It's 60 lux which ought to be enough and has some snazzy daytime running lights. £33. I will send a link once the email comes through.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Last edited:

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
The light arrived from Bike Discount today via DHL. Duly fitted. It was an easy task, once I got the wires the correct way round! It arrived in just a plastic bag with no other packaging, which was surprising. Also, the hex bolts that hold the light in place are made of cheese. However, the beam looks bright and I shall soon be able to check it out.

Unseen

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2016
Manchester, UK
The light arrived from Bike Discount today via DHL. Duly fitted. It was an easy task, once I got the wires the correct way round! It arrived in just a plastic bag with no other packaging, which was surprising. Also, the hex bolts that hold the light in place are made of cheese. However, the beam looks bright and I shall soon be able to check it out.
Could you let us know what you think of the light? Looking for a set of commuter lights for mine and the Wife's although on hers it'll have to be the rechargeable version as no power feed on her ebike :(

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Yesterday I did my last commute home in the dusky light. In two weeks, when I'm on the same shift, it will be in the dark and I can let you know how the light performs. It seems bright enough, but the real test is yet to come.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
For my inner city commute I have switched to using my 40 lux b+m AA cell powered headlight:

- the beam is narrower and lights up the only dark unlit section of road quite well
- uses less power so cells don't need to be recharged so often

It is used in combination with a b+m lumotec connected to the main battery which only has the daytime/24 hour running leds working correctly. After a fall on the train the main led has been dislodged and doesn't strike the reflector at the correct angle :(

When I invest in a light for the trike I'll get the 150 lux one, seems more reasonable at the speeds I do. 70 lux is OK but only in fair conditions.

robwalley

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2012
Gloucester
Just tested this £12.99 light/horn with dual switch https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07H29CYQD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 direct on 36v battery for a bafang mid drive setup and I am shocked how good it is (don't know longevity yet, not sure I care at this price). Very bright, multi voltage range and very loud horn. I like my brass bell, but it's getting ignored more and more. Switch probably needs waterproofing if you like the wet, but not an issue for me. I did test a 6v relay to switch direct from my display, but both my old and new BBS02 versions had no light output cable.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Yesterday I did my last commute home in the dusky light. In two weeks, when I'm on the same shift, it will be in the dark and I can let you know how the light performs. It seems bright enough, but the real test is yet to come.
Rather frustratingly I haven't used the bike on my late commute & won't do so until later next week at the earliest. I will report back after I've tried it out.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I've just ordered a 80lux B&M light will let you know how it goes in few weeks.

Wifes bike has B&M 30lux. Good be seen light surprisingly effect in day time. OK light for short sections of unlit roads especially if you travelling around 15-20kmh. Not really for higher speeds on unlit roads.
I'd say its equivalent to my cateye 300 lumen light.
Light finally turned up 6 weeks later, DHL usual poor performance.
Wouldn't recommend this light, beam to wide and dull. Trying to cover to much ground with too little power.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Light finally turned up 6 weeks later, DHL usual poor performance.
Wouldn't recommend this light, beam to wide and dull. Trying to cover to much ground with too little power.
Which one is it? Mine was very good when it was working, nice strong beam, oncoming cars noticed it around corners and dipped their lights. It is even better at 48v - yes I know, only rated for 42v but tinkerers will be tinkerers... :rolleyes:

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/busch-mueller-lumotec-iq-cyo-t-for-e-bike-led-spotlight-503600

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Busch + Müller Lumotec IQ Cyo Premium E Front Light for E-Bikes - 1752Q42/6N

I think yours might have more of spotlight. It's not bad light just not quite as bright as expected.

At least now I have permanent light, which I leave on all time. Yet see what it looks like to other road users.

robwalley

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2012
Gloucester
Those Busch and Muller are good quality but are not rated in wattage which is disappointing as you cannot estimate battery drain or light output, probably 6w at a voltage range of 6.5-42v. The internal voltage regulator will be set to the lower 6.5v, so however well designed will not be great output. That cheap amazon light/horn with dual switch I mentioned is 12w at a voltage range of 12-80v. Do the maths.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
What road bike-specific lights does the panel recommend for such a purpose. Please do not recommend stupendously powerful off-road lights that dazzle everyone within a mile of the beam...
My bold...

robwalley

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2012
Gloucester
My bold...
Strange it is that cars are not restricted by engine size or speed or having no 'full beam'. It is my choice to get a 750w motor and powerful headlights and my personal responsibility not to speed and to keep lights dipped. Now, if road tax, insurance and some sort of test is required to make this happen, I'm all for it.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
There will soon be a directive limiting the power of car LED headlights. Being short term blinded by low beam LED headlights is a thing and can last from 30 seconds to a minute! That can cause a lot of damage at 80 km/h on a twisy country road. Until now car headlights have a minimum lux/lumen output fixed by law but there was no maximum and some car designers have gone slightly overboard...

• Agree
Reactions: Benjahmin

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I thought that, in the UK, there is a max wattage for headlamp bulbs. But, having just looked, I see all sorts of crazy powers available. I live in Ceredigion near the Brecon Beacons, famed for it' dark skys. No wonder I'm getting blinded on the lanes. Not least of the problem is people running those bumper lights that are only meant for daylight fog. I call 'em ego lights.
So I'm not too concerned about my bike light being on the bright side. If the driver dips his lights I push it round the bars slightly.

Advertisers