EBMA files an anti dumping complaint on chinese e-bikes.

And still people buy Kalkhoff e-bikes, despite all the known issues, believing the "German-made" superiority hype.
Well I can't comment on that... other than to say that many people don't research the product they are buying.

and I'd suggest it's not hype, its a well branded marketing. People by German kitchens, german shampoo... its all marketed on being German for a reason, and lots of people trust it based on experience.

and I can say that without bias because I currently don't work for any German brands.

Most people walk into a shop and buy what they like the look of.

Same with cars, same with bikes.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
And still people buy Kalkhoff e-bikes, despite all the known issues, believing the "German-made" superiority hype.
I suspect that there is an element of 'pride and joy' in the purchase of these more expensive bikes. People tend to keep them longer, ride fewer miles, pay for shop maintenance etc. They all add up for a ...em.. longer satisfaction.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
...its a well branded marketing. People by German kitchens, german shampoo... its all marketed on being German for a reason...
And I'd argue that's what leads to disappointment... it sets a very high level of expectation that today just isn't being delivered. The recurring theme with all these "German product" issues on this forum at least, and to quote a recent post, is (I paid through the nose because) "I presumed I was purchasing quality".

There was a time, not that long ago, when people - even Germans - hunted for the "Made in Britain" emblem on everything they bought. That's all gone to hell in a hand-cart too, hasn't it?

(Edit: Crossed with EddiePJ's comment above - similar point)

protectionism is what made the EU a success.
If another country steps into the gap, then the EBMA will simply target their new enemy.
Just wanted to reply to this.... There are a load of countries that are classed as Developing that the EU actively supports by giving them access to the EU with no tariff / duty.

http://trade.ec.europa.eu/tradehelp/everything-arms

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Just wanted to reply to this.... There are a load of countries that are classed as Developing that the EU actively supports by giving them access to the EU with no tariff / duty.

http://trade.ec.europa.eu/tradehelp/everything-arms
yes, I am well aware of this.
Many Chinese companies move manufacturing to the 27 countries that enjoy GSP+ status.

However, that still fulfill the original objective of the complaint: moving production to another countries increases your cost and reduces your ability to compete.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Our group fighting the EBMA had a meeting in Brussels yesterday with our lawyers, several other European importers and the team leading the anti dumping investigation at the Commission. It was interesting and very constructive, expelling a lot of myths. If anyone in our group would like details please drop me a line but we will be contacting you later in the week with a full account.

I have been asked by the group and our lawyers not to make the detail of the meeting public. Suffice to say the imposition of ADT is not a forgone conclusion.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Just back from a few days in Portugal's "Bicycle Valley" what an eye opener. The local municipality with the Portuguese and Europeans are pumping millions into the area in terms of grants and subsidies. All very tempting.

I now understand the earlier comments made by Col at KTM re ADT and he is absolutely correct. ADT of course would be a nuisance but most of us will be able to sort something out in terms of supply moving forward. (Quite honestly it could be a very good thing for many of us.) Col mentioned that the bigger suppliers would be pushing for a crack down on certification especially of the electronics. Further to a visit to the testing organisation ABIMOTA it seems that the big centre motor suppliers are asking for their systems to be considered "closed" systems (all the electronics supplied as a set) all others will be "open". This will make a big difference in the way the bikes are certified. As of early 2019 it seems that there could be a crack down on ebike certification across Europe. If us smaller firms are not ready and do not comply to the latest directives and certification requirements, we could have a bigger problem than ADT.

As it's a bit of a mine field I have asked LEVA to put together a comprehensive but simple "Guide to European E-Bike Certification". If anyone is interested in obtaining a copy please email david@wisperbikes.com

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Just back from a few days in Portugal's "Bicycle Valley" what an eye opener. The local municipality with the Portuguese and Europeans are pumping millions into the area in terms of grants and subsidies. All very tempting.

I now understand the earlier comments made by Col at KTM re ADT and he is absolutely correct. ADT of course would be a nuisance but most of us will be able to sort something out in terms of supply moving forward. (Quite honestly it could be a very good thing for many of us.) Col mentioned that the bigger suppliers would be pushing for a crack down on certification especially of the electronics. Further to a visit to the testing organisation ABIMOTA it seems that the big centre motor suppliers are asking for their systems to be considered "closed" systems (all the electronics supplied as a set) all others will be "open". This will make a big difference in the way the bikes are certified. As of early 2019 it seems that there could be a crack down on ebike certification across Europe. If us smaller firms are not ready and do not comply to the latest directives and certification requirements, we could have a bigger problem than ADT.

As it's a bit of a mine field I have asked LEVA to put together a comprehensive but simple "Guide to European E-Bike Certification". If anyone is interested in obtaining a copy please email david@wisperbikes.com
Is this another stitch up by the Germans?

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Can bikes assembled in Portugal compete against Cube on price?

Yes, it just depends how much the brand wants to make in margin, how much the distributor if there is one, wants to make, and then how much margin the retailer is given.

Cube in the UK come in via the Dutch distributor I think, so they have a number of suppliers in the chain, so there is scope for beating them on price if a brand wanted to.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
We are being quoted about 5% more than in China and that's with wheels and spokes coming from France and being built in Portugal. We are currently being quoted for frames, painting, and batteries, we will pay more for those. Most of the other components are available in Spain or Portugal for the same price as in China. Logistics will be more tedious to start with!

I will retain my ties with China though and the rest of our electronics will stay the same. If we defeat the EBMA we will have the choice of where to have our bikes built, that's a commercial decision that will be made at that time.

So all in all, maybe 7% more, but our bikes will be "Made in Portugal" and I wont be paying many thousands a year for my team and I to travel back and forth to Shanghai.

And it's beautiful in Portugal!

IMG_0936.JPG

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

Not really trying to hijack this into the Brexit debate, but the UK will have limited say in the future decision making on european ebike certification

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
"There is a lot of incorrect information and unsubstantiated rumours going around in and outside Europe about the anti-dumping proceedings against electric bicycles imported from China."

New from LEVA

EU DUMPING CASE ON E-BIKES FROM CHINA: THE FACTS SO FAR

Posted on February 8, 2018 by AR - EU

There is a lot of incorrect information and unsubstantiated rumours going around in and outside Europe about the anti-dumping proceedings against electric bicycles imported from China. With this article, LEVA-EU establishes the facts based on dumping legislation. LEVA-EU hopes that this will put a stop to the gossip factory and will help companies to make a well-informed decision on their plans for the next few months and years. If, after reading this article, you are still left with questions and doubts, get in touch with us: leva-eu@telenet.be, tel. +32 9 233 60 05.

The only thing we know for sure at this moment in time is the following. So far, the Commission has not used the right to impose provisional duties. The imports are not being registered, which for now rules out retroactive collection of definitive duties. As for how this case concludes: all options are still open, i.e. definitive measures, withdrawal of the complaint or termination without measures.

First and foremost, there are no dumping duties for electric bicycles from China in place yet, no provisional duties, no definitive duties. Electric bikes imported from China are currently only subject to the normal import duty of 6%.

Provisional duties

The European Commission has the right to impose provisional duties. This right came into effect on 20th December 2017 and may be used until 20th July 2018. The Commission may do so on condition that they have determined that there is dumping going on, that this dumping causes injury to the Union Industry and that the Union interest calls for measures to prevent injury. But once again, to date the Commission has not introduced any provisional duties at all.

Should provisional duties be imposed, then these will not have to be paid immediately. It will suffice to secure the duties by a guarantee. Provisional duties may be imposed for 6 months and extended for another 3 months or they may immediately be imposed for one period of 9 months. Should provisional duties be imposed, then the Commission must initiate the procedure for determining definitive measures no later than 1 month before the expiry of the provisional duties.

Retroactivity

If definitive duties are imposed, they may be levied for no more than 90 days prior to the date of application of provisional measures but not prior to the initiation of the investigation. However, 4 conditions need to be fulfilled:

• The imports must be registered, which is not the case for now. Registration can only happen following a request from the Union industry, which must contain sufficient evidence to justify the registration.
  • The importers must be given an opportunity to comment on that request.
  • There should be a history of dumping for the product concerned over an extended period or the importers should be or should have been aware of that dumping
  • In addition to the level of import, which caused injury during the investigation period, there should be a further substantial rise in imports, which is likely to undermine the remedial effect of the definitive measures.
If this retroactivity is not applied, the provisional duties may still be collected from the date of their application. It is then up to the Commission to decide, irrespective of the imposition of definitive duties, which proportion of the provisional duty is to be collected.

If the definitive duties are higher than the provisional duties, the difference will not be collected. If it is lower, the duty shall be recalculated.

Duration

Definitive measures shall remain in force as long as it is necessary to counteract dumping, which is causing injury. Definitive measures expire 5 years after their imposition unless the Union industry lodges a request for an expiry review. They must do this no later than 3 months before the end of the 5-year period.

During these five years the Commission at their own initiative or at the request of a member state may review the measures. A request for an interim review may also be lodged at least one year after the imposition of the measures by exporters (Chinese manufacturers) or by importers or by the Union producers if they believe that the measures are insufficient to remedy the dumping and injury.

Anti-circumvention

An anti-circumvention investigation can only be initiated if definitive duties have been imposed. This may happen at the initiative of the Commission or at the request of a Member State or any interested party. Nevertheless, there must be enough time between the imposition of definitive duties and such a complaint to be able to establish that circumvention is going on. A period of at least 9 months to 1 year seems necessary. If anti-circumvention measures were to be imposed, it is unlikely for this to happen before June 2020.

Should anti-circumvention measures be imposed then assemblers in Europe will be able to apply for an exemption of these measures for the import of relevant parts on condition that the parts constitute no more than 59% of the total value of the parts of the assembled product. The remaining 41% may be imported from any country inside and outside Europe not included in the anti-circumvention measures.

The end?

As explained, the proceeding may end with the imposition of definitive measures or not. The Commission should normally conclude the proceeding no later than 20th October 2018 and in no case later than 20th January 2029. There are two ways of terminating the case without any measures. Either the complainant withdraws the complaint, or the Commission terminates the case without imposing any measures. If the complainant withdraws the complaint, then they may resend it to the Commission whenever they want. If the case is terminated by the Commission, then the complainant must wait 1 year before reintroducing the complaint.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
LEVA - EU are doing a huge amount of work on behalf of the smaller electric bike producers and importers of Europe. This mammoth task is being undertaken at considerable expense part subsidised by a few professional ebike companies. The work being undertaken will benefit everyone in the business, currently working with China.

There is very much more to be gained by joining this highly professional organisation. For instance the new regulations for electric bikes is a complete minefield, many of the less expensive bikes available do not conform or will not do when the new rules kick in. LEVA provides it's members with a concise guide on how to make certain ebikes comply.

If you are interested please drop me a line or contact LEVA EU directly. leva-eu@telenet.be you will get a very warm welcome and you help would be fantastic and hugely appreciated.

All the best, David