EBMA files an anti dumping complaint on chinese e-bikes.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I will almost certainly continue with my current suppliers because although TW has a lot to offer, they are nowhere as flexible as my current suppliers. If you sell high end frames and low power then TW producers are excellent but most of my customers are just not into saving a few hundred grams.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I will almost certainly continue with my current suppliers because although TW has a lot to offer, they are nowhere as flexible as my current suppliers. If you sell high end frames and low power then TW producers are excellent but most of my customers are just not into saving a few hundred grams.
But you cannot continue with your current supplier as long as there is the risk of ADT.
Some of the larger Chinese suppliers have already moved production to Europe,I haven't approached them about prices.
The smaller suppliers have given up on Europe and are concentrating on the rest of the world especially the US.
KudosDave

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
My Chinese suppliers reckon we'll know how much ADD rate is on 20th July.
The current plan is to split the value of the bikes by separating the battery to reduce the total of ADD. That loophole will eventually be closed but in the meantime, it is a smaller price than changing the whole range of products.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
The Collective of European Chinese EBike Importers met yesterday in Brussels with the group of 8 Commissioners in charge of the case. Our lawyers and Annick from LEVA who has been driving the case were also present.

I made a presentation on behalf of the smaller manufacturers, Matt from E-Bikes Direct, Jonathan from Emu and Andy from B Spoke were also there making presentations along with members from all over Europe. All there on our own money (cost me £400 and two days out of the office) trying to solve this problem for all those importing bikes from China most importantly and our customers.

I still find it absolutely amazing that there are importers here in the UK and all over Europe that are happy to sit back and let others do all the work and finance this battle. Of course if The Collective managed to get the ADD down to an acceptable level, or only applied to bikes over a certain value, or maybe, just maybe actually win outright, those that have just sat back and let others shoulder the burden will have had a fantastic result. Simply do nothing then get the same benefits as those that actually did the work. If we lose they will no doubt say "there was no point fighting".

It's not just the money and time The Collective are investing, just as important is the number of companies involved in fighting this battle. There are 22 of us, if there were 52 the chances of a final victory would be so much higher and the cost to individual companies so much lower. I guess that there are many who just can't be bothered.

A lot happened yesterday on all levels, regarding importing parts, what the Commission is likely to do next, and what our counter will be.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I am sure you'll get credit for it but please don't insult the rest of us.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
honestly, I find you overbearing.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Why not? I find your inaction insulting. I cant believe that you just sit back and let other do the work for you.
oh please.
I don't just sit back.
I post useful information how to cope with the present situation: import codes that would not be covered by ADD, would TW replace China, the cost of assembling in the UK etc.
What is £400 compared to your marketing budget?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
oh please.
I don't just sit back.
I post useful information how to cope with the present situation: import codes that would not be covered by ADD, would TW replace China, the cost of assembling in the UK etc.
What is £400 compared to your marketing budget?
£400.00 may be nothing to you, but for me it's a hell of a lot of money, I mean a lot. Add to that the €1,200 we have paid towards legal fees so far and €1,600 towards Annick's, time and costs and it's not cheap. Despite what you may think we are a small team of 6 full time staff. We don't have an account full of cash to fight these battles. It comes out of my pocket.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
honestly, I find you overbearing.
I find your reluctance not to invest the profit you make on just a few of your bikes, get involved and help fight this massive injustice absolutely incredible.

It seems that you really don't care that prices to your customers will go up by at least 10% probably a lot more. We do care.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
David, there is a silverlining in most if not every cloud.
My duty is to protect the jobs of those who work for Woosh. Ever since the ADD business, I have been consciously looking to:

a) sell kits
b) dry run assembly

That's to me the sensible tactic. I am not interested in corporate meetings. Hatti attends these meetings, I hate putting on a tie.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
David, there is a silverlining in most if not every cloud.
My duty is to protect the jobs of those who work for Woosh. Ever since the ADD business, I have been consciously looking to:

a) sell kits
b) dry run assembly

That's to me the sensible tactic. I am not interested in corporate meetings. Hatti attends these meetings, I hate putting on a tie.
I don't wear a ties unless I am at a funeral or wedding, but is that the point here? I hate corporate meetings too, I hate speaking to a very powerful committee, but sometimes you have to step up to the mark.

It would be nice if instead of insulting me personally, you actually had the courtesy to say "thanks" to those carrying the banner on Chinese bike importers' behalf. If you don't have the time or inclination to help, I accept that, but please don't knock those who are fighting a cause that, if we win, your company will benefit from equally.

All the best David

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Fighting amongst ourselves really does not help, I apologise for getting a little frustrated and miffed.

The numbers of those on record who object to the EBMA forcing Anti Dumping Tariffs on us all and thereby raising the prices of e-bikes to our customers really does matter though. That's the reason I get passionate about this subject.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Seriously....

Do you think if we started a petition for those importers not wanting to join in AND end users that will be affected by price hikes to present to the commission, we would get any support?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The Collective of European Chinese EBike Importers met yesterday in Brussels with the group of 8 Commissioners in charge of the case. Our lawyers and Annick from LEVA who has been driving the case were also present.

I made a presentation on behalf of the smaller manufacturers, Matt from E-Bikes Direct, Jonathan from Emu and Andy from B Spoke were also there making presentations along with members from all over Europe. All there on our own money (cost me £400 and two days out of the office) trying to solve this problem for all those importing bikes from China most importantly and our customers.

I still find it absolutely amazing that there are importers here in the UK and all over Europe that are happy to sit back and let others do all the work and finance this battle. Of course if The Collective managed to get the ADD down to an acceptable level, or only applied to bikes over a certain value, or maybe, just maybe actually win outright, those that have just sat back and let others shoulder the burden will have had a fantastic result. Simply do nothing then get the same benefits as those that actually did the work. If we lose they will no doubt say "there was no point fighting".

It's not just the money and time The Collective are investing, just as important is the number of companies involved in fighting this battle. There are 22 of us, if there were 52 the chances of a final victory would be so much higher and the cost to individual companies so much lower. I guess that there are many who just can't be bothered.

A lot happened yesterday on all levels, regarding importing parts, what the Commission is likely to do next, and what our counter will be.

Not being part of this debate .. but it reads very like the children's little red hen story.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
In principal I agree Danidl, however actually I am very pleased to share my bread with everyone! A little help, support or encouragement would be nice though! It actually feels quite lonely!! :)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you actually had the courtesy to say "thanks" to those carrying the banner on Chinese bike importer's behalf.
you and I are on the different sides of the barricade.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I thought we both designed, developed, built and imported electric bikes from China then sold them in the UK?

But... OK, I give up, you win!

All the best, David :)

Last edited: