EBMA files an anti dumping complaint on chinese e-bikes.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Is the anti-dumping case causing injury to your company?

LEVA-EU invites you to participate in a short survey on the effects of the anti-dumping case on your company.

The Commission's decision to register imports of e-bikes from China has caused great injury to the companies in the Collective of European Importers of Electric Bicycles. The uncertainty about potential retroactive collection of duties and the level of potential duties is causing enormous chaos.

Should the European Commission pursue the 189% duties as mentioned in the Registration Regulation, this will cause many companies to close or to go bankrupt. The Registration Regulation is currently causing shortage of electric bike supplies, price increases and considerable losses.

The Collective of European Importers of Electric Bicycles wants to show to the Commission how many companies are affected and to what extent the Registration Regulation has and still is causing damage.

If you, as an importer, a dealer or any other stakeholder in the electric bicycle business, are affected by the anti-dumping proceeding in general, and the Registration Regulation in particular, then please help the Collective to show the European Commission the level of injury this is causing by completing the short survey below.

This short survey is open to any interested company, you do not have to be a member of the Collective to participate. You may participate anonimously should you wish to. Please share this survey with anyone else who may be interested.

Click here to FILL OUT FORM

Thanks!

Reactions: JuicyBike

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Chinese e-bike exporters are hit by a 83.6% provisional anti-dumping duty.

If anyone wants to buy a Chinese e-bike, you'd better hurry.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
woosh will increase prices from Monday 23rd.
I have a 40ft container stuck in Rotterdam today and diverted to Liverpool because Felixstowe was too busy since last week.
Ouch.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Today the European Commission has imposed provisional anti-dumping duties on e-bikes Imported from China. The Commission has opted for the imposition of per company targeted dumping duties. The provisional dumping duties vary from 77.6% for the Bodo Vehicle Group, 27.5% for Giant Electric Vehicle to 37.0% for the majority of Chinese e-bike exporters (see Annex). All other Chinese e-bike exporters are hit by a 83.6% provisional anti-dumping duty.
Be pleased that Kudos Cycles will not increase prices on its current stock....about 300 bikes total,although some models are very low on stock....when this stock is exhausted who knows????
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
from BikeBiz...

The news has been carried on the EC's website. The measures apply in the UK and will be imposed from tomorrow onwards, the Bicycle Association has told members.

"From then, a deposit to the value of the provisional anti-dumping duty must be paid before affected goods can clear Customs (in addition to any duties already payable). This can be either by cash deposit, bankers guarantee or the trader's deferment account," said the BA statement.

"Although these provisional measures spell the end of 'registration' in the anti-dumping case, with the uncertainty of racking up unknown potential [anti-dumping] liabilities, 'registration' continues for the anti-subsidy aspects of the case," warns the BA.

"So it remains possible that importers could still accrue further liabilities on imports. Only when the definitive measures are announced will we know whether extra duties will be charged to cover anti-subsidy, and whether these will be made retrospective."

KudosDave

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Crikey,you were brave to keep buying,didnt they threaten 3 months retrospective?
I was hoping that it won't be as bad as 89% originally floated.
I still get hit by 37.5% - I don't know if it is going to be retrospectively applied. It's a tough choice between a rock and a hard place. I placed the last orders in January! the two factories I work with were absolutely inundated with orders.

• Agree

The Strong Goat

Pedelecer
May 10, 2018
China
I was hoping that it won't be as bad as 89% originally floated.
I still get hit by 37.5% - I don't know if it is going to be retrospectively applied. It's a tough choice between a rock and a hard place. I placed the last orders in January! the two factories I work with were absolutely inundated with orders.
I have consulted my pal in DB Schenker, the shipper we are working with for a long time, and even they are still absorbing this anti-dumping tariff on Chinese E-bikes. Though there isn't a confirmed answer yet, seems there will be a 83.6% tariff on most E-bikes from China except for very few big boys. Maybe it's the time for us to assemble our bikes in the UK?

Reactions: Izzyekerslike

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
What a mess!

We have about 1000 in stock now so wont need to increase prices until the Autumn when our bike will be coming in from Taiwan.

We are still fighting this calamity, just invested another €47,000 in taking the EU to court.

Actually I find all this quite exciting, we will lose a few importers no doubt and prices will increase but it's now turned into a win win situation. We have made provisions to get through until the new year and beyond and if we actually do win the case, it'll be one in the eye for the EBMA!

All the best, David

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I have consulted my pal in DB Schenker, the shipper we are working with for a long time, and even they are still absorbing this anti-dumping tariff on Chinese E-bikes. Though there isn't a confirmed answer yet, seems there will be a 83.6% tariff on most E-bikes from China except for very few big boys. Maybe it's the time for us to assemble our bikes in the UK?
Purchasing anything from China is taking so much longer than normal,6 months is the minimum. The Chinese government is prioritising controlling pollution,this particularly affects drop forging,casting and plating operations,some can’t meet the new requirements and are closing.
Bike components use a lot of those processes,this will cause lots of parts shortages in the short/medium term.....the Chinese will satisfy their home assemblers first ,it is difficult to see how they will satisfy export,the U.K. will be very low priority.
These parts are produced very cheaply in China,we couldn’t possibly produce here with our very small market.
I have been offered the chance to assemble in Europe but the delivery is 12 months and minimum order 3 containers,assembled in Eastern Europe.
KudosDave

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the main issue with producing bikes in the UK is the supply chain.
In China, you can build or customise a model with a minimum order of about 50 bikes. Although you can't pay staff wages with 50 bikes, the system allows you to iron out small production issues here in the UK and refine the model before re-ordering so within 6 months, the new bike is good and stable.
You don't have equivalent in the UK and even the EU.
I am going to put our prices up about £150 to pay the anti-dumping duty for 6 months to allow us the time to adjust.

• Agree

The Strong Goat

Pedelecer
May 10, 2018
China
Purchasing anything from China is taking so much longer than normal,6 months is the minimum. The Chinese government is prioritising controlling pollution,this particularly affects drop forging,casting and plating operations,some can’t meet the new requirements and are closing.
Bike components use a lot of those processes,this will cause lots of parts shortages in the short/medium term.....the Chinese will satisfy their home assemblers first ,it is difficult to see how they will satisfy export,the U.K. will be very low priority.
These parts are produced very cheaply in China,we couldn’t possibly produce here with our very small market.
I have been offered the chance to assemble in Europe but the delivery is 12 months and minimum order 3 containers,assembled in Eastern Europe.
KudosDave
Seems there will be some opportunities for those who can optimise their supply chain. If someone can perform in an accurate, fast manner and with some high-end good designs, maybe there is still some prospect for him? Certainly, the market won't extinct and people still are going to make E-bikes, it's interesting how everything will evolve.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
More news about our fight (The Colective of European Ebike Importers) with the monumentaly unjust claim by the EBMA.

EC electric bike ruling “a protectionist abuse of defence instruments,” says LEVA-EU

19 July, 2018 Mark Sutton

Following yesterday’s European Commission declaration that provisional dumping duties will apply to Chinese electric bike imports into the EU, LEVA-EU, representing a collective of 22 importers, has slammed the ruling as an “abuse of trade defence instruments for protectionist reasons.”

Now set to go to court, numerous sources have conveyed to CI.N the difficulty in gaining access to the data used by the EBMA to make its case to the European Commission. This, we’re told, has made it next to impossible to create a defence case against as the Collective can’t be sure what ‘evidence’ it is fighting against. This, among other disparities outlined by the representative body LEVA-EU, is why the Collective has opted to take legal action.

EU Manager Annick Roetynck states: “This is only one battle lost, we haven’t lost the war. From our first analysis, we conclude that the Regulation holds many inconsistencies and omissions. All these will be thoroughly addressed in the Collective’s official response to the Regulation.”

https://cyclingindustry.news/ec-electric-bike-ruling-an-a-protectionist-abuse-of-defence-instruments-says-leva-eu/

The fight goes on! To those who have already fallen foul of the deposit scheme, we will fight to get your deposit back for you.

Money well spent IMO.

All the best, David

To all those affected... we are still looking for support to continue the fight.

Last edited:
Reactions: danielrlee

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Not a clue Col! Not a single clue,

It seems that we may have wasted our time and money but it was worth it just to put the EBMA's protectionist policies under the spot light. That's of course IF we get a hard Brexit. The huge down side would be the inability to economically sell bikes to Europe or visa versa.

What a mess!

Not a clue Col! Not a single clue,

It seems that we may have wasted our time and money but it was worth it just to put the EBMA's protectionist policies under the spot light. That's of course IF we get a hard Brexit. The huge down side would be the inability to economically sell bikes to Europe or visa versa.

What a mess!
I think I'd also be worried if we loose the protection... you'll find that suddenly the likes of Sports Direct, Tesco, Halfords are suddently bring in bikes / eBikes from China at a price / rate that no IBD, or small UK brand can compete with. The impact it'll have on the industry - eBikes & normal will be pretty big.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
They are doing that already and Decathlon have joined in very successfully, buying from TW and China, I'm not so worried as none of those companies can offer a decent ebike service. Yet?

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
They are doing that already and Decathlon have joined in very successfully, buying from TW and China, I'm not so worried as none of those companies can offer a decent ebike service. Yet?
UK Decathlon maybe, the San Sebastian Decathlon has excellent mechanics who are very friendly and patient with my level of Spanish. I wasn't sure so I looked and I think assembly of B'twin pedelecs has been re-localised to Lille, France as well as the more expensive road bike range.

Here it is the Leclerc, Carrefour, Norauto and other hypermarkets/auto stores that import from China direct and sell at 600€ and under (with a 6 Ah Chinese cell battery).

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Here is the latest from The Collective of European Bike Importers...

"Ceci n'est pas une pipe"

"Ceci n'est pas un cas de dumping. This is a political game which fits with the current, general European attitude to discourage trade with China. Furthermore, a very small number of large companies in Europe try, through abuse of trade defence instruments, to push competition out of those markets they have lost out on due to their own rigidity and short-sightedness."

Annick Roetynck

Click Here

ATB, David